SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
meseville
meseville is on a distinguished road

Default Why do most Saturn engines burn oil?

I hope this question will be addressed by mechanics that have taken apart many Saturn engines and know why Saturns burn so much oil. I have had over 40 cars over many years and most burn less than 1/2 quart of oil in 2000 miles. My highest milage car, 175,000 miles, burned/leaked one quart of oil in 8000 miles, YES I said 8000 miles.
My 1994 SL1 with 100,000 miles burns 1 quart in 500 miles. For each member of this forum that reports minimal oil burning on their high millage cars there are 25 members that report high oil consumption in their 100,000 cars.
My question is not what oil to use or piston soaking or how to drive a Saturn. My questions are:

1) When you tare down the oil burner on a 100,000 mile Saturn what is the order of the problems that you usually see? example the valve seals might be the first thing to go. Second the rings ware out. Then the cylinder walls ware out. etc. This is just an example.

2) I have piston soaked at least 10 times and have changed the pvc valve to a Saturn pvc valve. This did not slow down oil burning at all. After reading this forum for 3 years my experience matches many, many other postings. Does anyone ever have a significant reduction in oil burning by soaking or changing to a new Saturn pcv?

3) A 160,000 mile engine that was given to me that broke the timming chain still had visable honing marks in the cylinders. I don't know if this engine was ever apart. Do you think these honing marks could be the original honing marks from the factory?

4) I'm curious to see if I can reduce oil consumption without a total rebuild. If the valve seals are the number one suspect, I'll just change them. If the rings ware out before the cylinder walls (I've never saw this in non-Saturn engines) and there is no ring ridge in the cylinders, I may just install new rings without any cylinder preparation.

Again, I believe many of our members will be interested in this thread. So lets let the expert mechanics provide their wisdom and hold back on opinions about Mobil one, Saturn pvc, driving styles, mmo soaking, and that guy with a 300,000 mile car that burns no oil.

Thanks,
Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to meseville's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help meseville reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2005, 07:32 PM   #2
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Why do most Saturn engines burn oil?

I always thought it was the earlier engines ring seal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSaturnKid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
mjo
Advanced Member
mjo is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Because they were not originally outfitted with a bypass filter ! I'm not trying to sell them, but you can tell that I'm an enthusiast. Check out my pictures sometime.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
bennett9000
bennett9000 has a spectacular aura aboutbennett9000 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaturnKid
I always thought it was the earlier engines ring seal.
My 99 burns oil like a mofo.. Like a quart per 800 miles.

-Andy

01 SL1 (2011-2014) • 99 SW2 (2002-2009) • 95 SL2 (1997-2002)
00 ROUSH Cougar V6 • 03 SVT Focus #2370 • 08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 • 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bennett9000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bennett9000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2005, 09:33 PM   #5
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by meseville
A 160,000 mile engine that was given to me that broke the timming chain still had visable honing marks in the cylinders. I don't know if this engine was ever apart. Do you think these honing marks could be the original honing marks from the factory?
No. Somebody probably broke into your garage one night, pulled the engine, disassembled everything, and then honed the cylinders while you were sleeping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:31 PM   #6
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Well Bob, I can respect your desire to have only "professional Mechanics" respond but as a professional mechainc I can tell you that opionons are like A%$ holes, everybody has one. And you know, just because a person does not make his or her living as a mechanic does not make what they have learned from first hand experience in their garage, carport or shade tree invalid. I don't recall anybody I have ever talked to, professional or not that I have not learned somthing from. It is a matter of keeping an open mind.

I am 51 years old and have made my living as a mechanic since I was 19 years old and can tell you that mechanics are like doctors. We all make our decisions and reccomendations based on our training and experience. That does not necessarily mean that we are always right or wrong. I have read many posts and threads on this board that I personally would not agree with but does that make it wrong? NO.

With all that said I can tell you this. If you have read this board for the three years you say you have, you will know that it is a known fact that certain years of Saturns had a problem with the oil control ring clogging rendering it ineffective in its function to remove the oil from the cylinder wall. While you have said that the soaks and other remedies have not solved your problem, I can not give you an answer. I CAN tell you this from first hand experience which has caused me to change the way I do things with my own cars.

I purchased a 1995 SL-2 new. I drove it for about 6 years putting about 140K miles on it. My oil change regeme was every 3500 miles using Casterol GTX and a Fram Extra Guard filter. My brother bought the car and the only thing he did different was to reduce the interval to every 2500 miles. When I sold the car it was doing the Saturn normal of about a quart every 1000 miles. After about a year of the reduced oil change interval, the car quit using ANY oil between oil changes. No engine overhaul, tear down, MMO soak, NOTHING. I now have the car back and it still uses NO oil. My 99 SC-2 with over 100K miles was starting to do the old oil consumption thing. Well I have the 95 SL-2 back and based on my brothers exerience I have concluded that the reduced oil change interval had a major impact on the engines oil consumption and as a result I have adopted the lesser milage interval. Also based on information I learned from this board, my brother and I have quit using the Fram filters. I am using the Purlator Pure One filter and my brother is using a WIX filter. I will be monitoring the oil consumption of my SC-2 to see if the reduced interval results in a reduction in the oil consumption.

The assumption is that the reduced interval resulted in a cleaning action in the oil control ring that allowed it to resume doing the job it was intended to do. But do I have engine tear down and inspection to prove it? NO but the proof in my opinion is in the pudding. I reallly don't care. The bottom line is that the car (the 95 SL-2 now with over 200K miles) is no longer using the oil it used to. So for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If this reply does not meet your criteria, oh well.

Sam
Senior Aviation Maintenance Tech
FAA Licensed for over 30 years

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:35 PM   #7
mjo
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
hold back on opinions about Mobil one, Saturn pvc, driving styles, mmo soaking, ...
But, but... What's the fun in discussing oil burning without mentioning a cure?

Quote:
So lets let the expert mechanics provide their wisdom
Ok, I don't consider myself an "expert mechanic" but a car enthusiast. I installed a bypass filter on my engine during summer break '04. The original intent was to reduce frequent oil changes and to make the Satty last very long in the future without need for major overhaul work. What I got was clean oil AND the SL2 doesn't burn oil anymore. The only explanation I can offer is that perhaps the clean oil in turn cleaned the oil control ring. After all, oil can't do its job of cleaning when it itself is full of crap. Even a thin layer of varnish will keep your engine hotter because it creates lower thermal conductivity and IMO would increase the likelyhood of oil flashing off.

There is also an article on an oil study that mentions fuel efficiency gains up to %5 when using a bypass filter on a diesel engine. In short, bypass filters are good for your car and your budget.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:42 PM   #8
mjo
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King
After about a year of the reduced oil change interval, the car quit using ANY oil between oil changes.
The assumption is that the reduced interval resulted in a cleaning action in the oil control ring that allowed it to resume doing the job it was intended to do.
Very interesting, Sam. I read your post and it looks like we have slightly different approaches to the same problem. When you keep a closer eye on your engine oil, the oil burns faster the dirtier it is. Bypass filtration removes even the smallest particles causing wear and acts like a steady engine flush.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjo's Reputation
Old 03-15-2005, 10:51 PM   #9
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjo
Very interesting, Sam. I read your post and it looks like we have slightly different approaches to the same problem. When you keep a closer eye on your engine oil, the oil burns faster the dirtier it is. Bypass filtration removes even the smallest particles causing wear and acts like a steady engine flush.
I would agree that we have a different approach. I think this reinforces my opinion that there are often different opinoins but not necessarily wrong. Your by pass filtration, (which by-the-way I have seen your posts about it and seen your pictures, very interesting) achieves the same result as my reduced oil change interval. Your filtration allows the oil to do a better job by removing the contaminants. My reduced change interval just takes the dirty oil out and puts new oil in. I don't thing either way is necessaryily wrong. We both agree that dirty oil is the culprit. You either get it out and replace it with clean oil or you filter it better. I think both approaches are valid.

I just think that Meseville's desire to only hear from professonal mechanics is being quite narrow minded. Your experience with the bypass filter any my experience with the reduced oil change interval reinforces the fact that problems can often be approached effectively with different solutions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 10:39 AM   #10
meseville

I agree with Sky King’s “opinions are like A%$ holes” but one needs to wade through the vast volumes of opinions to fine something of value. A lot of opinions, while interesting, are not based on facts. They are just echoing what they heard somewhere. I have no problem with anyone contributing to this thread but this forum already has hundreds of pages concerning people’s opinions on what is the best oil to use … so do we need to rehear more "best oil stories"?

Let’s look at a few opinions then see if they have value:
1) Replacing the EGR with a Saturn EGR valve will stop oil consumption. Does this work 50% of the time? 10% of the time? 1% of the time? Has it ever worked?
2) Several members of this forum don’t like Fram oil filters. I’ve requested in their threads why they don’t like Fram oil filters … I have never received any answer. Truth is “Consumer Reports” rates Fram oil filters as one of the best on the market. I’ve used Fram filters oil filters almost exclusively for 20 years. I do use the car manufacture’s brand if the filter is installed in an up-side-down position. Less than 1% of the Frams that I have used had any problems, that being one oil seal fell off the filter.
3) Only old Saturn have bad rings. This opinion was mentioned by a reader in this thread only to have another reader IN THIS SAME THREAD says that his 99 burns much oil. So stating that only certain year Saturns have ring problems, has no meaning.
4) How about oil change intervals! Some members like Mobil One and keep the same oil in for over 10,000 miles. Sky King likes to change oil every 2500 to 3500 miles. I change my oil every 2000 miles. So why does Sky King’s 200,000 mile engine burn no oil why my 100,000 mile engine burn? After reading the forum over the years, I suspect that Sky King’s engine is one of the lucky few and that my oil burning 100,000 mile engine is normal to most Saturn engines.

Again it is not my “desire to only hear from professional mechanics is being quite narrow minded”. I just want some information that I can take to the bank? Information from experienced mechanics is fantastic, I read them in this forum. Experience from weekend warriors is also great. Opinions based on limited experience or knowledge is also useful. Opinions & rumors based on hear say is really of no value except as entertainment.

I will look into the by pass filter because I have never heard of it.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help meseville reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 11:28 AM   #11
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Bob, I can accept much of what you said in your response. Many people do just jump on a band wagon and say "me too". Like I said, I have never had a Saturn engine down far enough to see my oil contol rings but I got my information from the lead tech at the dealership where I bought my car from. And having worked at Saturn since the beginning he has had many engines down to that point. As for my 200K mile car, it DID use oil. Because there was no other action taken except the reduction of the oil change interval, I can only PRESUME that it was the major factor in it stopping it's oil useage. And if you recall, my 100K mile car IS using oil and I hope that the adoption of the reduced interval AND the better filter can achieve the same result. I do plan on posting the results on this as time goes on. While not absolutely definative, if two cars that had an oil consumption problem stopped after reducing the change interval and the brand of filter and nothing else, I think I would have to take a look at it.

As for the oil filter thing. Like you I have been a Fram filter user since I started driving. I used them on every car and truck I have ever had. Like you I read the posts slamming them. One thing I knew was that Fram had owner changes and as I am sure you know, often what start out as good products by good companies, go down hill after a corporate take over and the new owners want to cut corners to save money. So with that said, somebody on this board posted a link in a response to a thread I started concerning oil consumption. This link is to a website by a person who had done a great deal of research on oil filters. This person is a mechanical engineer, he at his own expense has purchased a great number of different filters, cut them open and studied them. Oddly enough, while a lot of people express opinions without any research, this person specifically states on his site that he will not say which one is "best". He only shows the facts, including pictures of cut open filters and lets the reader decide which filter will be best for them. He does express his opinion on how certain aspects of different filters could effect the performance of the filter. It was after that when I saw how Fram filters are made, and what is inside them and potential problems associated with that construction, I decided it was time to make a change. So I have included that link for you here and like me, you can read the facts and decide for yourself.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

I hope you find this site as usefull and informative as I did.

Sam

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #12
Amp67
Amp67 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King
Well Bob, I can respect your desire to have only "professional Mechanics" respond but as a professional mechainc I can tell you that opionons are like A%$ holes, everybody has one. And you know, just because a person does not make his or her living as a mechanic does not make what they have learned from first hand experience in their garage, carport or shade tree invalid. I don't recall anybody I have ever talked to, professional or not that I have not learned somthing from. It is a matter of keeping an open mind.

I am 51 years old and have made my living as a mechanic since I was 19 years old and can tell you that mechanics are like doctors. We all make our decisions and reccomendations based on our training and experience. That does not necessarily mean that we are always right or wrong. I have read many posts and threads on this board that I personally would not agree with but does that make it wrong? NO.

With all that said I can tell you this. If you have read this board for the three years you say you have, you will know that it is a known fact that certain years of Saturns had a problem with the oil control ring clogging rendering it ineffective in its function to remove the oil from the cylinder wall. While you have said that the soaks and other remedies have not solved your problem, I can not give you an answer. I CAN tell you this from first hand experience which has caused me to change the way I do things with my own cars.

I purchased a 1995 SL-2 new. I drove it for about 6 years putting about 140K miles on it. My oil change regeme was every 3500 miles using Casterol GTX and a Fram Extra Guard filter. My brother bought the car and the only thing he did different was to reduce the interval to every 2500 miles. When I sold the car it was doing the Saturn normal of about a quart every 1000 miles. After about a year of the reduced oil change interval, the car quit using ANY oil between oil changes. No engine overhaul, tear down, MMO soak, NOTHING. I now have the car back and it still uses NO oil. My 99 SC-2 with over 100K miles was starting to do the old oil consumption thing. Well I have the 95 SL-2 back and based on my brothers exerience I have concluded that the reduced oil change interval had a major impact on the engines oil consumption and as a result I have adopted the lesser milage interval. Also based on information I learned from this board, my brother and I have quit using the Fram filters. I am using the Purlator Pure One filter and my brother is using a WIX filter. I will be monitoring the oil consumption of my SC-2 to see if the reduced interval results in a reduction in the oil consumption.

The assumption is that the reduced interval resulted in a cleaning action in the oil control ring that allowed it to resume doing the job it was intended to do. But do I have engine tear down and inspection to prove it? NO but the proof in my opinion is in the pudding. I reallly don't care. The bottom line is that the car (the 95 SL-2 now with over 200K miles) is no longer using the oil it used to. So for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If this reply does not meet your criteria, oh well.

Sam
Senior Aviation Maintenance Tech
FAA Licensed for over 30 years
Hey this is excellent information. I know Luke told me he changed his oil every 2500 miles or so. I thought that was too soon. But based on your experience, and feedback from others (including Luke), I will problaby do the same. By the way, what weight of oil did you use. I am using Mobil 5w30 Driveclean ($11.97/case @ Costco). I was considering going to a higher weight to cut consumption at the cost of a little friction increase. My car currently consumes a quart every 800 miles.

Amp
Saturn owner interested keeping my car a long time

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Amp67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Amp67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #13
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp67
Hey this is excellent information. I know Luke told me he changed his oil every 2500 miles or so. I thought that was too soon. But based on your experience, and feedback from others (including Luke), I will problaby do the same. By the way, what weight of oil did you use. I am using Mobil 5w30 Driveclean ($11.97/case @ Costco). I was considering going to a higher weight to cut consumption at the cost of a little friction increase. My car currently consumes a quart every 800 miles.

Amp
Saturn owner interested keeping my car a long time
I use Casterol GTX 10W-30. But I am not as sure that it makes too much differance. You will find as many opinions about different oils as there are people on this board. I think if you are going to use dino oil, the key is a good brand and keep it changed. The bigger debate IMO is between synthetics and dino.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2005, 04:28 PM   #14
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

And I use Quaker State 10w-40 which I get at .69/quart (sale price) at Kragen
At that price, I get a couple of cases each time.

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:52 PM   #15
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett9000
My 99 burns oil like a mofo.. Like a quart per 800 miles.

My 97 doesnt burn a drop. well, maybe a tad after a good beatdown, but its a VERY small amount. if I didnt care I could probably not check it at all, but I do everyday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSaturnKid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #16
meseville

I read the web site that Sky King recommended on oil filters. The excerpt that caught my eye was “I found that this filter did not have the best anti-drain back valve. It is better than Fram because I have very little valve train noise at startup (I had a lot with the Fram)…” I mentioned earlier in this thread, because of valve train noise at startup “I do use the car manufacture’s brand if the filter is installed in an up-side-down position.” Now I know why Fram's don't work well upside down. I might consider trying other filters.

Have you noticed that no one suggested valve stem seals as a real problem with Saturns? My experience suggests that most cars build around or before 1960 were oil burners. Most cars build after 1980 are not oil burners. The exceptions to the 1980 rule are some German cars and Saturns. I’ve read that some German car engines are built loose to better run on the Autobahn, this looseness causes them to burn oil. I don’t know if the looseness theory is true but it sounds feasible. So that leaves me wondering why Saturn engines burn oil. Piston and ring technology have been great over the time span that Saturns have been around, so what has Saturn done wrong? I was hoping that someone would say that Saturn use poorly designed rings and identify a superior ring replacement. Maybe Saturn’s pistons are the problem and someone could identify a better piston. Maybe Saturn engines just have a poor oiling system. My Chrysler, Nissan, Cadillac cars don’t burn oil and don’t require piston soaks. Even my 33 year old Wheel Horse riding lawn tractor does not burn oil.

On the lighter side, is Sky King named after the TV series that ran in the 1950’s that had a gentleman named Sky King flying around in a twin engine plane to many adventures? Wonder if his plane burned oil? Just kidding!

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2005, 08:33 PM   #17
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

LOL, yes I chose "Sky King" because when I was young in the late 50's I watched that show religeously. I have loved airplanes as long as I can remember and always wanted to be involved in aviation. I was GLUED to the TV for that show. His real "name" was Skyler King, his airplane was the Songbird, his neice was Penny and his ranch was the Flying W Ranch. He had two different airplanes in the course of the show, both were Cessnas, the first was called a Bamboo Bomber, because of it's construction materials and had two radial engines and was a tail dragger. The second was a Cessna model 310, with twin Continental opposed engines and was a tricycle gear. When ever I need a screen name or even a CB radio handle I use "Sky King" and as indicated in the first post to this thread I am involved in aviation for a long time. I started flying at 15 and solo'd at 16 in a Cessna 150 but a motorcycle wreck at 18 put an end to my flying. A lady pulled out in front of me and I broad sided her 68 Olds Cutlass on a Honda at 60 MPH

Glad you found the oil filter info usefull.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2005, 08:59 PM   #18
Feeble
Feeble is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

My '95 was consuming a lot of oil at 110,000 miles. I'm having the SOHC engine rebuilt. The mechanic told me the cylinders and rings were fine but the valve seals and guides were bad. I am not a mechanic, so correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that one bad valve seal can cause substantial oil consumption.
Great oil filter link Sky King! Maybe I can keep my Saturn from using oil when it is repaired.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Feeble's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Feeble reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 11:12 PM   #19
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

I can not take credit for that oil filter link. I got it from "amazinghl" in one of his responses to my thread about oil consumption.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2005, 12:11 AM   #20
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I would like to know the answer to the oil consumption question. I have a feeling GM got a good deal on some crappy rings. But, you do not want feelings or speculation. I am conducting my own test. The cause of oil consumption is believed to be the oil control rings getting dirty. I am using a product called Auto-RX to clean them. I will let you know if it works. For now, I will sit on the sidelines and let those with the answer to your questions step forward. Good luck!

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread