SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
92sl2
92sl2 is on a distinguished road

Default Oil Filler Cap

Somehow I managed to lose my oil filler cap (I suppose I didn't put it on tight enough). At any rate every store I've tried (Autozone, Napa, Advance Auto, etc.) has said that the cap for the 1992 SL and the 1992 SL2 are the same but when I tried it, the cap did not fit. I called the dealer today and he said the same thing, but asked if I was sure that mine wasn't a 1991 since that year apparently does have different caps. I know that my cap is different from a 1995 SL, which itself is different from a 1994 SC2 (which would just further prove a difference between base and 2). Does anyone have any insights on these differences? Does anyone have any suggestion on where I can find the right cap? I am sure the tinfoil and duct tape won't last for very long.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
partsmgr
partsmgr is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Oil Filler Cap

1992 uses two types of oil filler caps for either SOHC/DOHC engines:

1st des: 21007528
USE ON 91-92 USE ON COVER WITH STANDARD (LIGHT-BULB STYLE) THREADS. FOR 92 FORWARD USE P/N 12573342 (SQUARE
CUT THREADS). SEE TECH BULLETIN 95-T-01A.

2nd des: 12573342

SERVICE INFORMATION ON NEW DESIGN OIL FILL CAP #95-T-01A - (Jul 1, 1995)
SUBJECT: Service Information on New Design Oil Fill Cape with Internal Relief Valve

Due to revisions under Models Affected and Purpose, this bulletin supersedes bulletin 95-T-01, which should be discardes.

MODELS AFFECTED: 1991-1994 and 1995 Saturns built before and including VIN SZ302900 with SOHC (L24) engines and VIN SZ289249 with DOHC engines.

PURPOSE: A new 2nd design oil fill cap (P/N 21007528)with light bulb threads, has been released for all 1991-1992 Saturns built before and inclucing VIN NZ223175 with SOHC (LK0) engines and VIN NZ207713 with DOHC (LL0) engines.

A new 2nd design oil fill cap (P/N 21007373) with square cut threads, was released for service in Janauary, 1995, for 1992-1995 vehicles built after and including VIN NZ223176 with SOHC (LK0/L24) engines and VIN NZ207714 with DOHC (LL0) engines.

Both of the new 2nd design oil fill caps have an internal relief valve and are the only oil fill caps available from Saturn Service Parts for servicing 1991-1995 Saturns.

IMPORTANT: 1995 Saturns built after and including VIN SZ302901 with SOHC (L24) engines and VIN SZ289250 with DOHC (LL0) engines have the new 2nd design oil fill cap (P/N 21007373) installed during production.

Figure 1

Figure 2

General Motors bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform those technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See a General Motors dealer servicing your brand of General Motors vehicle for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to partsmgr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help partsmgr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2005, 12:59 PM   #3
92sl2

Thank you for your reply. However, I am still a little muddled. The end of my VIN (I assume that is what is referenced in the bulletin) is NZ135206. Does that mean I need an oil cap with what is referenced as "light bulb threads", which seems to be one originally intended, mostly, for the 1991 model year? So this would support the theory that the cap I have tried to obtain from the auto parts store is the one with "square cut threads", which would be why it does not fit, leading one to conclude that if you need an oil filler cap for this particular 1992 Saturn you should ask for a cap for a 1991 Saturn? I only ask this because if I can obtain a cap for a 1991 Saturn from a local parts store it would be easier (not to mention cheaper) than trying to obtain it from the dealer who is over an hour away. Unless, of course, you might know of an online source where it can be located.

Thanks for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 92sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

On you old oil cap, did it screw on and ratchet around or did it go on, turn a 1/4 turn and get tight?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:19 PM   #5
partsmgr

according to your VIN, you should have the first design cap. Click the link in the previous post (21007528). That will take you to where you can order online. Just search that number in the OEM part number search.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help partsmgr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:38 PM   #6
92sl2

On the old cap it turned and clicked tight. Not sure if it was 1/4 turn and not sure if it would continue to turn past the click for I always stopped at the click.

Thanks for the link partsmgr - but it comes up with nothing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2005, 07:52 PM   #7
partsmgr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
92sl2

All that does is give me the home page of Saturnparts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2005, 12:06 AM   #9
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92sl2
All that does is give me the home page of Saturnparts.
Just send Simon an e-mail, he'll get you the part you need

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 11:46 AM   #10
partsmgr

92sl2, go back to that link (21007528), type the same number in the "Search by Factory Part Number" field. The cap will be listed there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #11
Thor4SL2
Thor4SL2 is on a distinguished road

Just put 3 or 4 layers of aluminum foil over the opening, hold it in place with some twist ties or something, and say the hell with it. Seriously, with the foil in place drive to your nearest Saturn dealer and show it to the parts guy.

It's not what you know that counts,
it's what you think of in time!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thor4SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thor4SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #12
92sl2

Default About that Aluminum Foil

That and duct tape are what are currently covering the hole at the moment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread