SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
jcurrieirocz
jcurrieirocz is on a distinguished road

Default Brake lights arnt working?????

Hello guys
On my '92 SC2, seems my brake lights were working on and off last winter now they are not working at all. Thats all of them 3rd brake light included.....which leads me to think that its the switch. Has anyone replaced one or maybe can it be adjusted???

Also my clutch switch that gives my starter the go ahead to turn over is acting up. I have to put my foot extra hard into the clutch at times to get the car to start???

Is this related to the brake switch???

I priced the new brake switch and its 39bucks but i have to go to the u-pull-junk yard real soon to pick up a wiper motor for my car anyhow i thought i may just grab the brake switch also......... so if anyone has removed the switch or the wiper motor i would love to hear some tips maybe a good how to.
Thanks if you can help
Jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcurrieirocz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcurrieirocz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2005, 10:13 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Brake lights arnt working?????

Is that brake switch price dealer or aftermarket? It's hardly worth wriggling under the dash of a junker to pull a part like that. I bet a good parts counter will have that switch.

Re. the clutch switch, it's not related to the brake switch. It's just a plunger switch, you can see it in action when you push the clutch pedal to the floor. Maybe it needs some electronics cleaner shot into it. Myself, I bypassed mine by disconnecting it at the connector, and making a little jumper wire and connecting it between the terminals on the connector. I of course have to remember to dump the clutch or throw the tranny in neutral to start it, but I get two advantages. One, while doing service work I can start the engine by reaching in thru the window and turning the key (tranny in neutral). Two, if for some reason I lose engine function (spark and/or fuel), I can use the starter to turn the engine and propel the car a few feet to get it out of harm's way if necessary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:05 AM   #3
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

i beleave the brake light switch is adjustable, get under there with a screwdriver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2005, 04:30 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Hmm, since the brake switch comes on as soon as you hit the pedal, a maladjusted one is more likely to be stuck on than never on. But it's worth a look.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:05 AM   #5
sierrap615
Master Member

doh, hes right, then i would look for a loose wire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
Speedy15
Speedy15 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

a blown fuse can also be an alternative

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Speedy15's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Speedy15 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
jcurrieirocz

a fuse ehh?? what is it marked?? i didnt think there was one..... plus they used to be working sometimes and sometimes not so i assume a fuse isnt it.

madpogue- The price was dealer price but aftermarket is only 5 bucks cheaper. I dont mind getting on my back to find one if it works i mean i have to get a wiper motor out and so Im sure a brake switch will be simple compared and im going to the yard on friday regardless if im getting a switch. 39 bucks will prob pay for a used motor and get the guy to throw in the switch....who knows ill see what happens.

when you talk about jumping the clutch switch where are the wires under the dash or under the hood??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jcurrieirocz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:22 PM   #8
sierrap615
Master Member

i doubt its a fuse, but if it was it would be "BRAKE" in the UHJB

the clutch switch is on the firewall/buckhead inside the cabin, in the path of the petal.

a clutch switch out of adjustment may be at fault (this time i am sure of it)

the clutch switch and brake switch are not directly related, but are in the same area and have the same function.

just noticed you are in canada.... i bet some snow/salt/water got in on you shoes are are causing both of these problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2005, 07:56 PM   #9
jcurrieirocz

yep salt is a problem seeing as this car is only driven in the winter. I just had to replace my headlight lid the one i had had a rust hole the size of your fist.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2005, 11:17 PM   #10
meribona
meribona is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I had all the brakelights on my 98 SL2 go out at the same time last January. I too thought it was a switch problem since I thought it unlikely that all the bulbs would burn out simultaneously.

Turns out I was wrong though --- the bulbs did all crap out in unison. I was also having battery problems at around the same time (I could only start the car half the time --- something about low battery amps) and apparently my brakelight bulbs didn't like it.

I replaced the battery and all my brakelight bulbs and they've been fine ever since. Your brakelight switch might have gone out, but check your bulbs to be sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to meribona's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help meribona reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread