SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #1
EDGRAY
EDGRAY is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Flat towing 05 Vue V6

As part of the procedure required to flat tow the V6 Automatic transaxle Vue, reliable friends who have 04 models say they are pulling the 10Amp fuse labeled BCM / INST from the panel located on the passenger side of the interior console.

The owner's manual for my new 05 model says to pull the 30Amp fuse labeled IGN from the panel located in the box in the engine compartment. Can anyone help me understand which procedure is correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EDGRAY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EDGRAY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Flat towing 05 Vue V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGRAY
As part of the procedure required to flat tow the V6 Automatic transaxle Vue, reliable friends who have 04 models say they are pulling the 10Amp fuse labeled BCM / INST from the panel located on the passenger side of the interior console.

The owner's manual for my new 05 model says to pull the 30Amp fuse labeled IGN from the panel located in the box in the engine compartment. Can anyone help me understand which procedure is correct?
They have 04's you have an 05. Do not assume that the procedure is the same. If in doubt, follow your owners manual. If it is wrong, you will have some recourse in court. If your friends are wrong, Saturn will say that you didn't follow the procedure in your owners manual.

That said, it is likely either will work fine. I would do some more checking tho.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Harleyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Harleyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 12:48 PM   #3
EDGRAY

Dizzy Re: Flat towing 05 Vue V6

THANKS DAVID: does anyone know what harm or damage might be done if the fuse is NOT pulled??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help EDGRAY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 11:18 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Enjoy.

Updated Recreational Vehicle Towing Information and Procedures for 2004-2005 Saturn VUE Vehicles #05-00-89-014 - (Mar 8, 2005)
Updated Recreational Vehicle Towing Information and Procedures for 2004-2005 Saturn VUE Vehicles
2004-2005 Saturn VUE Vehicles with 3.5L V-6 (VIN 4 -- RPO L66)

Sales Manager, Fixed Operations Manager, and Technician

Important: This bulletin includes the newly released towing procedure for Saturn VUE vehicles with 3.5L V-6 (L66) engine and supersedes the information found on page 4-47 of the 2004 Saturn VUE Owner’s Manual and page 4-51 of the 2005 VUE Owner’s Manual. This bulletin is to be used in conjunction with Corporate Bulletin Number 03-00-89-033.

Purpose
The purpose of this bulletin is to provide updated procedures for towing a 2004-2005 Saturn VUE with a 3.5L V-6 (L66) engine and 5AT automatic transaxle (RPO MJ7/MJ8) behind a recreational vehicle with all four wheels on the ground (dinghy towing).

Based upon engineering analysis of field exchange transaxles, it has been determined that inadvertent transaxle damage may occur during dinghy towing if the appropriate steps are not taken during and prior to towing. As a result, the procedure for dinghy towing has been changed.

Copies of this bulletin should be made available and inserted into the 2004 and 2005 Owner's Manuals for those customers considering recreational vehicle or dinghy towing.

The new procedures include additional information regarding:

• Maximum duration for towing: Due to transaxle fluid drain back, the transaxle lubrication procedure is required every seven hours after the initial procedure has been completed, regardless if vehicle is being towed or parked. Once the procedure is performed, the transaxle is adequately lubricated and can be recreational vehicle towed for seven actual hours prior to repeating lubrication procedure. As an example, if you initially perform the lubrication procedure and tow your vehicle for three hours, then park for four hours, the lubrication procedure will need to be performed again, prior to dinghy towing the vehicle. Failure to observe these time limits may result in transaxle damage.

• Final shift before towing: Care should be taken to ensure that the final shift during the lubrication procedure must be from "D" (Drive) to "N" (Neutral). Failure to perform this final shift may result in internal damage to the transaxle assembly.

Procedure

Dinghy Towing (Front-Wheel-Drive and All-Wheel-Drive Vehicles with 5AT Five-Speed Automatic Transaxle)

Position and attach the vehicle behind the recreational vehicle.
Turn the ignition key to ACC.
Turn fog lamps and all accessories off.
Notice: Start the engine and shift through all gear positions. The FINAL shift must be "D" (Drive) to "N" (Neutral). Failure to perform this final shift may cause internal damage to the transaxle assembly. NEVER shift from "R" (Reverse) to "N" (Neutral) as the final shift, to avoid internal damage to transaxle.

Perform transaxle lubrication procedure:
Set the parking brake.
Start the engine.
Apply and hold the brake pedal until the end of Step 4.5.
To ensure proper automatic transaxle lubrication, shift transaxle through "P" (Park), "R" (Reverse), "N" (Neutral), "D" (Drive - Automatic Overdrive), "I" (Intermediate), "L" (Low).
Shift to "D" (Drive), then to "N" (Neutral) and let the engine run for 3 minutes. If you tow or tow and park the vehicle for more than seven hours in one day, you must repeat the procedure.
Turn off the engine, and leave the key in the ACC position.
Release the parking brake.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 12:43 AM   #5
EDGRAY

SSICARMAN : THAT is certainly the most current info I've been able to find. Do you work for Saturn?? The dealer gave me "Tech. Info. Bulletin 03-00-89-033A" which is dated "December,2004". It is USELESS, as it does not even properly describe the gear shifting proceedure, but rather, explains how to do a fluid level check. But I digress !

YOUR post does not mention the need to pull any fuse(s), which was the basis of all my posts. Can you get clarification about what will happen if the fuse is NOT pulled ??? THANKS, ED

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2005, 09:02 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Sorry looks like I missed the very bottom of the TSB. Here is the rest of it. This TSB is dated Mar 8, 2005

Important: Before performing dinghy-towing procedures, remove the large IGN fuse from the underhood fuse block. Failure to remove this fuse may result in low battery voltage after towing.

Locate and remove the large IGN fuse from the underhood fuse block. Refer to illustration in this bulletin.
After seven hours, repeat Step 4 if you intend to continue dinghy towing.

Once you have reached your destination, do the following:

Set the parking brake.
Turn the ignition key to LOCK and remove the key from the ignition.
Reinstall the large IGN fuse.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:35 PM   #7
EDGRAY

SSICARMAN: Thanks for posting the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey likes to say. I appreciate your ability to get the info from Saturn. I just wish Saturn would get somebody who can write a proceedure that leaves the reader with no more questions!

If I take a literal approach and do EXACTLY what they seem to be saying, then it CANNOT be done. EXAMPLE : " before performing the towing proceedure, pull the 30 amp IGN fuse" If you pull the fuse "before", how are you susposed to run the engine during the shifting the gears manuever?? I guess we are susposed to use a little common sense and "interpret" what they write, but I thought a mechanical procedure needed to be chronologically correct. Again, thanks for your help. ED

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread