SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
vintagegz
vintagegz is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default auto trans delay

Is any one else experiencing a delay when shifting the 2005 5 speed auto trans (V6-FWD) from reverse to drive? I back out of my driveway, then select drive, but there is a hesitation before it engages. If i press on the accelerator when it does kick in there is a thump. Normal? It makes one think before pulling out into traffic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vintagegz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vintagegz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
Freedom1955
Freedom1955 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: auto trans delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegz
Is any one else experiencing a delay when shifting the 2005 5 speed auto trans (V6-FWD) from reverse to drive? I back out of my driveway, then select drive, but there is a hesitation before it engages. If i press on the accelerator when it does kick in there is a thump. Normal? It makes one think before pulling out into traffic.

We have a AWD 2004 Vue and we have the same problem.

04 White AWD, Loaded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Freedom1955's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Freedom1955 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
sleddingguy
sleddingguy is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Same problem here.
Between the dealer telling me to wait 3 seconds before starting the car because it will turn over and not engage, and the transmission hesitation, and my AWD system that seems more like a traction control assist, the car is starting to irrate me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sleddingguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sleddingguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
alank
alank is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Same problem with my '04 AWD V-6 it has been like that since day 1 and dealer said it was normal. I just learned to live with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alank's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alank reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

My 72 GS does that when it's a quart low on trans fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
Tollag
Tollag is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I've had that problem from day one as well on my '04 AWD 6, and as far as being low on fluid, that should be impossible because it's a sealed tranny, i.e. fluid doesn't need to be changed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tollag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tollag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

Same here 2004 FWD V6...

I think the transmisstion in general is a bit slow..including kicking down into a passing gear or in corners. I initially thought it was just because I'm used to a manual.

Must be that great Honda engineering...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:23 PM   #8
05VUE
05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

How long is the hesitation? One second? Five seconds? I've found most automatic transmissions I've driven had a slight hesitation going from reverse to drive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:58 PM   #9
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05VUE
How long is the hesitation? One second? Five seconds? I've found most automatic transmissions I've driven had a slight hesitation going from reverse to drive.
I would say less than a second for me (a second is longer than you'd think for something like this)..but other transmissions I've driven seem twice as quick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:38 PM   #10
John223
John223 is on a distinguished road

Yes noticed the same thing on my 04 and 05. I think Honda puts a delay in so as not to stress their "weak link" trannies, to minimize roll when shifting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John223's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John223 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:41 PM   #11
Ghostrider
Advanced Member
Ghostrider is on a distinguished road

I think it's the computer that is causing the hesitation, and that it is intentional to prevent damage to the drivetrain. You can actually feel the transmission change gears, but the throttle doesn't work for a split second.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ghostrider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ghostrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:20 PM   #12
pd1601
pd1601 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SL1

I've honestly never noticed this as a problem. When going from forward to reverse, or vice-versa, I've got my foot on the brake, and by the time I'd move my foot to the gas pedal I guess everything is 'willing and able'.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pd1601's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pd1601 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:24 PM   #13
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollag
I've had that problem from day one as well on my '04 AWD 6, and as far as being low on fluid, that should be impossible because it's a sealed tranny, i.e. fluid doesn't need to be changed.
I certainly didn't mean to compare my 1968 Turbo 400 to a new Honda transmission.

As far as sealed, I can't understand how trans fluid never needs to be changed. Even manual transmissions have a fluid change interval. Maybe Honda knows the trans will need replacing before the fluid.

There's a thread around here somewhere with a pic of the filler tube for the trans. The fluid got in there somehow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:24 AM   #14
vintagegz
vintagegz is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

it's funny but actually seems to engage twice, once right away when you select drive there is a 'bump' felt but vue will not go forward until a second 'bump' a split second later, then everything is fine. I guess it is to protect the driveline from those who shift into Drive while still rolling forward in reverse, but it can be nerve racking when pulling into traffic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vintagegz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vintagegz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2005, 09:27 AM   #15
sleddingguy
sleddingguy is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegz
it's funny but actually seems to engage twice, once right away when you select drive there is a 'bump' felt but vue will not go forward until a second 'bump' a split second later, then everything is fine. I guess it is to protect the driveline from those who shift into Drive while still rolling forward in reverse, but it can be nerve racking when pulling into traffic.
I was just going to say the same thing. When I go from reverse to drive, I feel an immediate thump with no delay, but I have to wait a full second before I feel the second thump. After the second thump the car engages into drive.
I never get any hesitation when downshifting, it seems to be right on. I have also noticed less gear hunting and smoother shifts since I flushed out the fluid and replaced it with Amsoil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sleddingguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sleddingguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2005, 10:45 AM   #16
jman
jman is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddingguy
I was just going to say the same thing. When I go from reverse to drive, I feel an immediate thump with no delay, but I have to wait a full second before I feel the second thump. After the second thump the car engages into drive.
I never get any hesitation when downshifting, it seems to be right on. I have also noticed less gear hunting and smoother shifts since I flushed out the fluid and replaced it with Amsoil.
My guess is that the two bumps you guys are hearing is the coming out of reverse and then into drive. I haven't noticed two bumps myself although it sounds familiar. I also have never noticed a delay when shifting from reverse to drive . . . this may be due to my own hesitation though. I've always been a stickler about having the car fully stopped. I get a similar feeling to fingernails on a chalkboard when I am in my girlfriends car and she switches from rev to drive while the car is still rolling backward a bit. Owwweee, poor car!

I will say one thing I have noticed though is a hesitation going into reverse from park! Often when backing out of parking spots this happens to me. I get in the car, start it up, put it in reverse and on occasion reverse does not engauge until a half a second after I've started pressing the gas. Overall the delay is probably between 1 and 1.5 seconds, but this is bad cause the effect is sometimes similar to "Dropping the clutch". I am going to ask my service guy about it when I go in for the suspension recall. I seem to recall a TSB for a delay on reverse somewhere . . . can anyone confirm that?

Otherwise I think the tranny is quite nice, shifts are very smooth, downshifts aren't great but on par or a bit above average. My only gripe is more of a personal opinion that it could shift to overdrive a bit earlier then it does, but thats my economy over performance view.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:16 AM   #17
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEnumber1
My 72 GS does that when it's a quart low on trans fluid.
You've got a 72 Buick? Sweet. My father does as well. Red w/ black vinyl top. He's put a lot of work into it. Goes to car shows regularly in the summer. Funny thing is it's his daily driver in good weather!

Back on topic...

I've noticed a bit of lag on my 03 VUE. And that's a totally different engine/transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread