SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 12:09 PM   #1
rudy
rudy is on a distinguished road

Default Hard starting 97' SL2

Please help guys. My GF's car is hard to start all the time-hot or cold. The engine will crank but will not fire. I turn the key off and try it again and it will immediately start. On Monday, I replaced the spark plugs, air filter, new wires, and new battery. I have thought about a bad injector. I have used Techron a couple of times in hope that the car has carbon deposits but Techron makes no difference.
Thanks in advance,
Rudy
Kansas City

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rudy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rudy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2001, 07:25 PM   #2
sattech
sattech is on a distinguished road

Hard to say with limited info. Possible sticking idle air control comes to mind. Does the car start with partial throttle? Before you start throwing parts at it though, check for good spark when the condition is happenning, Check fuel pressure as well

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sattech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sattech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2001, 07:25 PM   #3
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Saw your post and the replies in autoforums -- let us know if it turns out to be the fuel pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2001, 08:16 PM   #4
Three Rings
Three Rings is on a distinguished road

There is an extended warranty coverage for the fuel pump on the 97. Had both of ours done last year for no cost - took about 2 hours. The dealer can put a pressure gauge on your car and check it to see if the pump is bad. See your dealer...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Three Rings's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Three Rings reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2001, 08:58 PM   #5
saturntech45
saturntech45 is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
1994 SL2

whats happening is your fuel pump regulator is bleeding down during the non running time. when you go to crank it there is no fuel pressure. when you turn the key off and try again the fuel system has generated enough fuel pressure to fire right off. as t&k said there an extention of warranty for this problem. i believe 5 yr. or 70 k miles. and if your out i bet you can still talk your retailer into replacing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturntech45's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturntech45 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2001, 09:56 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

I thinking one of two things happening. Either the special policy fuel pump problem or a bad crank sensor. Check for spark when the car is cranking and doesn't want to catch. If you have spark then the crank sensor is good. But I think that from what you said in your post it's likely the fuel pump bleeding down and causing the problem. If it's within the year and mileage requirements then Saturn will cover the fuel pump replacement. At a Saturn store of course.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2001, 09:15 AM   #7
newt
Advanced Member
newt is on a distinguished road

Is the fuel pump on a 97 different than the pump on a 95? Is it a OBD1 versus OBD2 thing? I seem to have a similar problem and have been going through FPR's like PEZ over the past 5 years--o.k. 4 FPR's. I have a new FPR in there right now which I installed in the fall--the pressure at the rail actually hold for more than a minute! I'd like to check the pressure at the pump but I think I need a "special" adapter for the line.

Any ideas for the adapter, or will I just have to take it into the dealer? Right now, the car is cranking about 8 to 10 times per start--even with the new FPR. When the FPR is bad, it'll do the same, but then kill immediately--especially if it's warm. Then it'll pop right off and stay running.

Thanks guys,

-Newt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2005, 07:44 PM   #8
PsychoSaturnMan
PsychoSaturnMan is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Hard starting 97' SL2

how long was that warrenty good??? i have a feeling that the fuel pump may be the root of my hard starting also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PsychoSaturnMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PsychoSaturnMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread