SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
lpradiohead
lpradiohead is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
Default Hole in Flex Pipe

Hello Everybody,
I was investigating muffler vibration the other day and noticed that I have a hole in my flex pipe. Here come the questions. First, how does a hole in the flex affect performance (i.e. affect transmission or acceleration)? Secondly, how can I fix this (I can't afford to replace the entire unit surrounding flex pipe, as it comes via Saturn)? I am pretty sure this is causing my muffler to shake, thus, bad vibration at idle. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lpradiohead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lpradiohead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Default Re: Hole in Flex Pipe

A hole in the exhaust should not cause a vibration. More likely to cause that might be the upper engine mount. Check aftermarket exhaust shops to see if they are able to patch in a replacement flex pipe.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2005, 09:59 PM   #3
lpradiohead

1999 SC1

All engine mounts are superb. I know the exhaust is shaking and causing some vibration, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lpradiohead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:16 PM   #4
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Is your muffler hanger in the back broken causing your muffler to rest on the axle making a ridiculous vibration?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #5
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Hole in the exhaust pipe....How can you bear in driving such loud condition? And yes, hole in the pipe will make the whole thing shake.

SaturnTech is right, have you checked the muffler strap hanger too? Tell easily because you'll see the Muffler Tip is hanging very low, once the strap hanger is broken.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
lpradiohead

1999 SC1

I don't think the hanger is broken. But I am going to put it up on ramps and figure more out. I still want to know how a hole in the flex pipe affects performance. I hear this quite a bit, but do not understand. Thanks for the replies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Don't need ramps to check the hanger...walk behind the car, grab the tailpipe and try to ove it up and down....if it moves...its broken.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 04:57 PM   #8
kmix99
kmix99 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1999 SC2
Cool Re: Hole in Flex Pipe

I had a hole just in front of my flex pipe (where the tranny clamp holds it) and MIG welded it with stainless steel. The braiding on my flex pipe is flaking off--still thinking of a way to fix it.

Where exactly is the hole?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01229-2.jpg (86.0 KB, 45 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kmix99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kmix99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:08 PM   #9
lpradiohead

1999 SC1

If the hanger is broken, how do you fix? I know for sure that the pipe is shaking from the flex to the muffler. Maybe tis the hanger. Thanks. The hole in my flex pipe is smack in the middle. It is big enough to see exhaust coming out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2005, 05:23 PM   #10
kmix99
kmix99 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1999 SC2

You may be able to have it welded with the pipe on the car if you are lucky.

You can make your own hanger with two stainless steel exhaust clamps, hammer and a vise. Just weld them together as in my picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01230-1.jpg (64.2 KB, 33 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kmix99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kmix99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2005, 10:55 AM   #11
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

>> kmix99 <<
Really appreciate your pictures

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2005, 03:41 PM   #12
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

Checking to see what UPS charges are from Buffalo To Central PA .......Kmix99 looks like a welding pro!!!, lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread