SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 12:55 AM   #1
bvL200
bvL200 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default sky on front of motor trend

i got my march issue of motor trend. on the front it has 5 new future cars including the 07' saturn sky. the caption under the car say's "WOW! IT ISN'T BORING!" inside it also talks about the aura and shows pictures of that also. estimated base price of the sky- $24,000 estimated base price of the aura-$21,000. just thought i would share.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bvL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bvL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2005, 07:51 AM   #2
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: sky on front of motor trend

I can just see the editors of Car and Driver shuffling papers on their desks wondering how they are going to handle the new products from Saturn which they slamed for years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
GreyDuck
Advanced Member
GreyDuck is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

I looked everywhere for Motor Trend at Barnes And Nobles and I couldn't find it anywhere! Looks like I'm going to have to subscribe...

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreyDuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreyDuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:09 AM   #4
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvL200
i got my march issue of motor trend.
We've been discussing this a little bit here too. I find it interesting that they're calling the SKY a badge-engineered effort when it looks nothing like the Solstice inside or out... although they do concede "... the Sky is a handsome, inviting car designed to compete with everything from Mazda Miatas to BMW Z4s." Unfortunately, they start the Aura article by saying, "This is your daughter's Oldsmobile." I get the sinking feeling they're being careful not to say too many good things about the new Saturns so they can pan the production models in '06.

Beautiful People First~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galileo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galileo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I just read the article in the Car and Driver. They like the Aura. But I only glanced at it. So I dare not repeat details about the write w/o being in front of me.

Wasn't there a C&D cover shot of the SC2 back in like '95? I may be mistaken.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
Laurence
Laurence is on a distinguished road

The auto magazine writers, along with Consumer Reports, have for years done nothing but slam Saturn and now they're going to have to re-invent their commentary and it'll take them time time to reindoctrinate themselves from the negative to the positive. There's hope here that they will at last accept the fact that Saturns are good vehicles for the price and are well-built and reliable.

Laurence

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Laurence's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Laurence reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 10:25 AM   #7
frankski
frankski is on a distinguished road

As far as I'm concerned I don't and never will trust papers judgement. They are only saying its a good car because they are caught up in hype. All they care is if saying its a good car on their front pages, if that will generate more revenues.

I recall a few years ago when Hyunday was considered total crap, then they start hyping about it and now they are saying good things.

I always knew Saturn were good cars Now, I admit, I am enjoying the good press and the good words I keep hearing about how bright Saturn's future looks like

Frankski

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frankski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frankski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #8
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Stop exaggerating, they have not been non-stop slamming Saturn as you make it seem. Yes, the majority of articles pan Saturn, but not all of them.

BTW, MT is a bad magazine anyways. But then, they don't suck as bad as Automobile.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 06:31 PM   #9
MGonzales
Advanced Member
MGonzales is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
Stop exaggerating, they have not been non-stop slamming Saturn as you make it seem. Yes, the majority of articles pan Saturn, but not all of them.

BTW, MT is a bad magazine anyways. But then, they don't suck as bad as Automobile.
Thanks for pointing that out, cdp326. Sometimes I honestly believe that folks here have been brainwashed to believe that Car & Driver hates Saturn. Yes, they've printed negative Saturn reviews before (the infamous first ION review comes to mind) but they've also printed positive ones like this LS1 review that I've referred to time and time again...

http://caranddriver.com/article.asp?...&page_number=1

The Verdict: A worthy addition to an already crowded segment."

And I wish I could find a link to their last dad burn SC2 review because it actually made me wish I would have considered one!

BTW, this one is not a review of a production car but interesting...

And yes, C&D slams imports too, like the Civic...

http://caranddriver.com/article.asp?...&page_number=5

"The Verdict: Something new from Honda - a loser."

And once again a link eludes me to a mid-'90s C&D review of the Civic LX which wasn't very favorable either.

And you know what? Instead of canceling my subscription, I investigated those issues they had with the Civic and found that at least in some cases, the negative comments were warranted, leading me to believe the reviews were fair. No hatred towards C&D from me, even when they bash my favorite car. It should only send a message to Honda to do better!

I think some people got bent out of shape because C&D liked to slam cars like the older Pontiacs with their ultra-ribbed body panels and a million gray rubbery buttons (i.e. older Grand Ams and Bonnevilles). And although it was just subjective opinions, I agreed with them almost always! Obviously, some people got their feelings hurt.

But I have all the confidence in the world that if the new Saturns are great cars (and they sure look to be judging be initial reports and pics), then C&D is going to give them the praise they deserve.

Mark
'99 Civic Si

Last edited by MGonzales; 01-28-2005 at 06:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MGonzales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MGonzales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:07 PM   #10
MGonzales
Advanced Member
MGonzales is on a distinguished road

Oops. We're talking about Motor Trend in this thread, not Car and Driver. Oh well, I still stand by my comments.

Mark
'99 Civic Si

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MGonzales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MGonzales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2005, 03:05 PM   #11
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

C&D seemed to like the ION Red Line, as well as the L-Series when it debuted, so they don't always slam Saturn. The 5-speed L200 sedan finished dead last in a ten-car comparo because the competition in its segment had improved, including that of Hyuuuundai, making the Saturn seem so last decade. I suspect that the car rags are playing it safe in case Lutz' insistence on gotta-have product is little more than lip service, and judging from both the pre-production Sky and Aura, that is no longer the case.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2005, 05:51 PM   #12
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Let's hope that the build quality problems that resulted from the rush to get the L Series to market are not repeated with either the Sky or Aura.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2005, 07:57 PM   #13
cdp326
Master Member

Did you ever see the Car & Driver LW2 review, MGonzalez? That was another fairly positive review for Saturn, from a comparison test where it came in 2nd out of 4th. I have referred to it before as well:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2005, 02:13 PM   #14
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The auto magazine writers, along with Consumer Reports, have for years done nothing but slam Saturn and now they're going to have to re-invent their commentary and it'll take them time time to reindoctrinate themselves from the negative to the positive. There's hope here that they will at last accept the fact that Saturns are good vehicles for the price and are well-built and reliable.
You need to look in some back issues from 1990-2001 when the S-series first arrived, when the S-series was updated and the SC turbo used in One Lap.
Consumer Reports and Car and Driver liked the SC,SC2 and SL2 for the most part. The ION was disappointing to them.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2005, 04:19 PM   #15
cdp326
Master Member

I do, however, like this that was mentioned here:

Quote:
The auto magazine writers, along with Consumer Reports,
That is funny!! But sadly, it's also true.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread