SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Aura Update

According to the latest Motor Trend, the Aura will (supposedly) be available as a base model with a 170hp 2.4L I4 and a 6 spd manual or automatic, while the 250hp 3.6L V6 will only get the 6 spd automatic. Prices start at $21,000.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Aura Update

Why would they only offer the manual with the 4 cyl? In any case, I would expect it to be priced in the same range as the Camry and Accord.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
lexington01
lexington01 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

I think it's because they still consider manuals for people who want fuel economy, not for the driving experience.
They do the same thing with current Grand Ams. I looked into buying one due to current incentives, but they only offer the V6 with an automatic.

Come to think of it, how many current V6 manuals are out there? Only the Mazda 6, Tiburon, Eclipse, and Stratus Coupe come to mind.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lexington01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lexington01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington01
Come to think of it, how many current V6 manuals are out there? Only the Mazda 6, Tiburon, Eclipse, and Stratus Coupe come to mind.
In what class? I'd be shocked if you couldn't get a car like a BMW 3 Series or Audi A4 V-6 without a manual. But in the $25k to $30k category, I honestly have no idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Um, make that "with a manual"...I think...yeah, that's what I meant to say!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Aura Update

Technically there's probably no reason Saturn couldn't offer a 6spd manual with the 3.6L V6 Cadillac uses the exact same powertrain team in the CTS. Could it be that Saturn is saving such a combo for a their proposed Redline Aura?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
97_Saturn_SL2
97_Saturn_SL2 is on a distinguished road

Jerry, the engine will be turned sideways in the Aura (remember, it is fwd, not rwd like the CTS). As such, it would have a totally different manual transmission.

There is a fwd six speed manual coming in the G6 GTP, though, so I'm sure if demand warrants it, they could bolt that transmission up to the 3.6L VVT (the GTP will have a 245 hp 3.9L V6).

As for other cars with V6 manuals, BMWs are inline-6s, so they don't count. The Accord can be had with a manual/V6, but only in the two door (sedans are auto only with the V6). The Nissan Maxima and Altima are V6s with six speed manuals. Cadillac CTS, Infinity G35 coupe and sedan, Lincoln LS V6 (they may have dropped this option, actually), Lexus IS (also an inline 6 for now), are some others off the top of my head.

The Aura is sweet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97_Saturn_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97_Saturn_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 02:51 PM   #8
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjerryguy
Cadillac uses the exact same powertrain team in the CTS.
Except that the CTS is RWD while the Aura is FWD... and AWD according to Matt DeLorenzo of Road & Track online in this clip

Beautiful People First~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galileo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galileo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 03:26 PM   #9
thatjerryguy

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Aura Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Saturn_SL2
Jerry, the engine will be turned sideways in the Aura (remember, it is fwd, not rwd like the CTS). As such, it would have a totally different manual transmission.
Excellent point. I overlooked that little fact. Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo
Except that the CTS is RWD while the Aura is FWD... and AWD according to Matt DeLorenzo of Road & Track online in this clip
I can't ge the clip to work on my Mac. I know the Epsilon platform can be AWD, but what did Matt DeLorenzo say?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2005, 06:59 PM   #10
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington01
Accord EX V6 coupe and Nissan Altima 3.5SE and SE-R are V6 sticks, too.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 09:47 PM   #11
04AWDV6VUE
04AWDV6VUE is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Does anyone know when we will see photos of the production model Aura?

'04 AWD V6 VUE - For Sale!
'00 SC2 (Former)

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=845871#post845871

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04AWDV6VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04AWDV6VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:06 PM   #12
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
According to the latest Motor Trend, the Aura will (supposedly) be available as a base model with a 170hp 2.4L I4 and a 6 spd manual or automatic, while the 250hp 3.6L V6 will only get the 6 spd automatic. Prices start at $21,000.
Considering what you would currently pay for a sport edition 4cyl VUE with a manual tranny, that is a lot of money for a starting price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #13
Vegetto1982
Vegetto1982 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

That's a good price considering what your getting out of the V6 model. But for that to be a starting price, wonders what options the Aura will have.

I think they're saving the V6 manual for the 300 hp Aura Redline.

Any saturn concept coupes yet??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vegetto1982's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vegetto1982 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #14
benson500
benson500 is on a distinguished road

I'm still assuming that the Aura will eventually get the 6-speed manual with the performance goodies that will be coming in the G6.

[I]Former owner: '93 SC2 and '03 ION3.....[/I]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benson500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benson500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 11:06 AM   #15
peccles
peccles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Technically there's probably no reason Saturn couldn't offer a 6spd manual with the 3.6L V6 Cadillac uses the exact same powertrain team in the CTS. Could it be that Saturn is saving such a combo for a their proposed Redline Aura?

Could be. There is supposed to be a CTS Sport with a turbo (super?) charged
3.6 for '06 model year producing 300HP. Maybe that engine will be the redline Aura.
There's a big gap between the 2.4L Ecotec and 3.6L V-6. I would have thought
that the CTS's new 2.8L V-6 would be offered int he Aura. Maybe it will.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peccles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peccles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 11:21 AM   #16
EnglishSL2
Advanced Member
EnglishSL2 is on a distinguished road

Sounds good! I can see the 2.4 with the 6-speed manual going down well over here. I'm sure that combo will be offered when the Aura goes on sale here as the next Vauxhall Vectra. I don't think ther 3.6 V6 will be in the Vectra though - I think we are getting a 2.8 Turbo instead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EnglishSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EnglishSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 11:23 AM   #17
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

AURA REDLINE should have the MANUAL, but I won't blame GM to give family-oriented AURA just the slush box in V6 trim. But hey, that slush box is a 6-speed tiptronic type of tranny. Shouldn't we all applaud on that?

Same old saying, GM has to guarantee its money-making bottom line after giving Saturn Corp the AURA sedan. I believe the regular AURA V6 will account at least 70% of sales like Ford's Taurus or Chrysler's 300C....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 12:46 PM   #18
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

That's a little better sounding now that they will have a 4cyl engine and manual transmission available. It still is about $6000 too expensive in my opinion though. $21k for the cheapest 4cyl/manual.. The typicaly equipped automatic will probably be $23k, and the V6 $25k or so.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:18 PM   #19
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork
It still is about $6000 too expensive in my opinion though. $21k for the cheapest 4cyl/manual.. The typicaly equipped automatic will probably be $23k, and the V6 $25k or so.
Just remember that a loaded ION is topping $20k now and the average price of a new vehicle has reached $27k... the pricing doesn't seem so out of line.

Beautiful People First~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galileo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galileo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #20
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Honda Accord 4cyl - $16,195 / V6 - $23,800
Toyota Camry 4cyl - $18,045 / V6 - $22,380

The Aura has to fall in between these prices or slightly below to make any difference and it must have comparable base equipment levels. So does the price Motor Trend mentioned (which none of us should take as 100% correct, the mags don't set prices) mean the 4 cyl starts at $21K or is it the V-6? I imagine the 4cyl Saturn Aura price will be comparable to the 4cyl Pontiac G6 base price.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread