SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 11:50 PM   #1
mattmgee
mattmgee is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default Is it safe to drive on a bad wheel bearing?

Sounds like my 97 SL1 has a wheel bearing that is pretty bad. It's really vibrating a lot ... is this dangerous? I commute 100 miles a day can I get by on it til Tuesday when I can get it fixed or do I need to rent?
Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattmgee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattmgee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
eternalstdnt
eternalstdnt is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default Re: Is it safe to drive on a bad wheel bearing?

If it helps, i just had a wheel bearing go out on my 200SL1. I took it to a local mechanic to have the vibration diagnosed, and he told me it wasnt uncommon to drive around on it for up to a year. He said the noise and vibration would get worse, but it wouldnt hurt anything. I then went to the Saturn Dealership and made an appointment for the next week, and they told me pretty much the same thing, that its fine to drive on but would just be annoying. As someone who doesnt know a whole lot about mechanics, I just took their advice and drove normally, and all was well until the next week when the dealership replaced the bearing and put my chariot back to perfect - cost about 380 though, so that wasnt a nice bill to pay! Hope this helps!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eternalstdnt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eternalstdnt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2005, 08:32 AM   #3
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Maybe you can jack up the affected wheel: push, pull, report the slop. Check your ball joints and tie rod ends too, just for grins.

It's my understanding these things take a while to get bad. So how long has this been going on?

You should probably rent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmgee
Sounds like my 97 SL1 has a wheel bearing that is pretty bad. It's really vibrating a lot ... is this dangerous? I commute 100 miles a day can I get by on it til Tuesday when I can get it fixed or do I need to rent?
Thanks!!

i have a funny story about that, actually... i blew out a wheel bearing at a cen-div solo2 event in oscoda, mi. (3 hrs from home). since i never experienced a blown wheel bearing before, i thought it was a diff pin problem (i had been doing some extreme 1 wheel burnouts earlier that day on course). i towed my car home (rented a tow dolly), removed AND rebuilt the tranny before i realized it was a wheel bearing. imagine my amazement when i took out the diff and nothing was wrong with it.

i immediately came to my senses, removed the hub and took it to a garage where a new bearing was pressed in... car is now fine AND i now know how to rebuild a transmission...

i felt really stupid for really long....

yeah, you can drive on those for awhile, nothing bad should happen...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

I got a bad bearing on my car right now...I found out about it like 3 months ago, and think it happened over summer. No biggie, but still not recommended. Im gonna fix mine sometime soon hopefully.

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2005, 10:44 PM   #6
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I commute 100 miles a day can I get by on it til Tuesday when I can get it fixed or do I need to rent?
My son had one on his 96SL1 that was so loud and vibrated so badly, that you couldn't drive it more than 45 MPH. He thought it was his exhaust system

BTW, I don't recall how much my local tire and brake shop charged to replace his, but it was nowhere near $380.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2005, 11:23 PM   #7
ry92sc
ry92sc is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1992 SC

I was told to NEVER drive with a bad wheel bearing, its stupid not to get it fixed asap, I had a wheel bearing go buh-bye and i wasn't all to happy afterworth.

I got mine replaced for about 200 if that at my saturrn dealership also a control arm had to be replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ry92sc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ry92sc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2005, 11:34 PM   #8
jeep4523
jeep4523 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1994 SL2

I finally got mine replaced after a week of 16 mile per-way driving.

You guys are gonna hate me, but $27 later and a $30 alignment later my car is fixed.

$27=bearing with snap ring after tax

$0=shop labor

$0=install labor (me doing it with my own pnuematics and hand tools)

$30=alginment at saturn from a tech after hours

Just a hint though for anybody doing the driver's side, drain the tranny fluid first (axle has a high likelyhood of coming out), and don't use a pickle fork to seperate anything. I jacked up the hub, spun the castle nut almost all the way off, and then shoved a 3' crow bar up there and lifted, and it popped the ball joint right off. Tie rod end just take off the nut and take off the 2 bolts on the shock and you should be able to just push it out by hand.

Take off the axle nut, and while holding the knuckle in your hand and keeping it in mid-air, lightly tap the axle end with a rubber mallet, and it should come right off.

Passenger side, same thing, but you probably won't have to worry about the tranny fluid.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting that decision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeep4523's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeep4523 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2005, 03:11 PM   #9
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
that depends how bad it is. ignore it too long and your tire/wheel could fall off. you didn't mention if you're talking about the front or rear. the fronts are more fun to replace since you have to take everything apart AND there's a chance that the bad wheel bearing cracked in half which could ruin the hub and make removing it from the knuckle a pain. make sure you have a hub and/or knuckle available just in case. now the rear bearings are part of the hub and there's only one assembly to replace.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2005, 04:49 PM   #10
mattmgee
mattmgee is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Well I jacked up my front end and took off the front wheels to check out the brake pads .. which are fine .. put wheels back on .. obviously .. now vibration is like 60% gone .. still making some noise but way less ... can a wheel bearing make noise consistantly and then reduce dramatically like this ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattmgee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattmgee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 04:51 AM   #11
SL1Joe
SL1Joe is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1998 SL2

It could cause problems I would fix it a.s.a.p., I just replaced the right rear hub on mine, the assembly was bent slightly and produced a wobbly wheel, I was worried it might cause my right rear tire to wear unevenly or wear out the brakes on that wheel faster. Driving down the road with the old hub the roadnoise was loud and at times unbareable but now it's quiet as a mouse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL1Joe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL1Joe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #12
Nor Cal
Nor Cal is on a distinguished road

i drove on a bad bearing for damn near a year.my blood pressure was high when i was on the free way but i manged.but you never know,the wheel could snap.

i just fixed mine 2 weeks ago.i bought a bearing for $40 but after taking the wheel assembly off and realizing i couldnt take out the actual bearing with out a lotta help and money (bearings are packed).i went to a junk yard and took off the whole wheel knuckle and put it on my car for $36.do it that way and your gonna save a gang of money and time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nor Cal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nor Cal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #13
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

I would do the above ONLY if you can see the odometer of the car from whence the knuckle/hub comes, or if (as most "junkyards" do these days) the part has already been pulled, the odometer reading was recorded with it. You may well be buying yourself only a few thousand miles before you're right back to square one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 03:56 PM   #14
Nor Cal

i went to a junk yard where you pull it your self (Pick-N-Pull),the car had less miles then mine.but yeah,it may not last forever but im planning on buying a new car this year.and it was gonna cost me ALOT more money to get the old bearing pressed out and a new one pressed back in.but yeah,if you can,just get a new bearing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Nor Cal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:13 PM   #15
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

If you already have the knuckle out, doesn't cost more than $10 to get the bearing pressed it, at least around where I live.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #16
Nor Cal

aww man,take that back.from what i understand it was gonna cost alot more then that.but this was a sunday,so nothin was open anyway.but thanks for the knowledge.hopefully i wont have to use it with this car tho.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #17
Admiral Beez
Advanced Member
Admiral Beez is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Just had my front left bearing replaced today on the 2000 SL2. There was no vibration, but it sounded like a train in the car, growl!!!! The mech at Saturn said it was really one of the worst he's seen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Admiral Beez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Admiral Beez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread