SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 11:10 PM   #1
jessicabreck
jessicabreck is on a distinguished road

Default Replaced ECTS... Still runs under 1/4 on temp gauge???

The problem:

I replaced my ECTS sensor as per other posts here on a forum. I regret to say I did not use the new OEM brass type, but one from Autozone. I replaced it (And it was cracked, textbook style.) snugged it down like a spark plug, and attatched the connector. Same reading. About 1/8th to 1/4 under a 1/4 on the gauge. I think it might be the thermostat, but it the heats seems to be cooking ! (on a 25 degree day in michigan.) .

The car:

1996 Saturn SW2 130,000 miles.

My hypothesis:

Perhaps it's the thermostat... I don't know. Perhaps the connector to the ECTS is bad? I know you can replace it, and I probably will on monday, going to the dealership, and getting the OEM ECTS sensor while I'm at it. If I short this connector out, should the gauge hit the overheat end( I haven't tried this yet, but will tommorrow)? I noticed that the gauge doesn't move when the car is off, and it doesn't move when I pull the connector off the ECTS, which I found weird. Maybe the gauge is bad??

What are the odds of it being the thermostat? Is there something else I could check?

Oh, and on a related note, thanks all you guys for your wonderful tech section on this site, especially Wolfman... I replaced the PCV valve as per numerous posts, and several problems I had (High idle, Idle not falling fast after letting off the throttle to shift, rough shutoff) disapeared, and the old one was clogged with all kinds of crud. And I thanks to various alternator posts, I caught it going out on a test drive when I bought it (Lights flickering, battery indicator, engine hiccups, among other things.) , and saved $300 which I used to pay a local shop to replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jessicabreck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jessicabreck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2005, 01:24 AM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Replaced ECTS... Still runs under 1/4 on temp gauge???

Welcome to the board.

If the sensor connector does not look like there ANY corrosion in it then it should be ok. With a good connector and the lower temp reading on the gauge the thermostat would be the next place to go. With the engine warmed up to normal operating temp you should be getting at least 140 degrees F out of the center dash vent on 3ird speed full hot setting.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

http://thomasb.worldwideshoppersclub.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
wrenchtnr
wrenchtnr is on a distinguished road

1992 SL

If the ECTS was broke, the computer would notice, and set the SES light or affect the idle and running of the engine.
Since the gauge is "stuck" at less than 1/4 weither the engine is hot or cold, on or off, it sounds like the gauge is broke.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wrenchtnr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wrenchtnr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
jessicabreck
jessicabreck is on a distinguished road

O.K. I'm going to grab a connector monday at the dealership... this one has some coolant gunk in it, and doesn't look the best. Thanks. And since I bought the car, I was planning on replacing the thermostat this weekend to wrap up my post buy tune-up along with new spark plugs and an oil change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jessicabreck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jessicabreck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicabreck
O.K. I'm going to grab a connector monday at the dealership... this one has some coolant gunk in it, and doesn't look the best. Thanks. And since I bought the car, I was planning on replacing the thermostat this weekend to wrap up my post buy tune-up along with new spark plugs and an oil change.
You might try cleaning the connector first with a quick drying electronic cleaner and an old toothbrush. You can buy a spray can of this type of cleaner at any good auto parts store. I used it to clean every one of the connectors on my main engine harness when I rebuilt my engine. It worked really well.

If that doesn't work, then my next bet would be your thermostat. Saturn thermostats usually fail open, which would keep the engine running cool, and a gauge reading that is consistently under 1/4 -- assuming the gauge and the ECT sensor are both working -- would be an indication of that.

Here's a picture of the cleaner I used -- CRC QD Electronic Cleaner -- which I bought at Pep Boys. I understand you can also buy it from Ace Hardware.

Last edited by Razorbak; 01-09-2005 at 04:03 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

One more thought: If you're worried that the problem may be masked by the aftermarket ECT sensor that you just bought, you can temporarily swap out the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor on the inlet to the air filter box and put that in the ECT sensor's place to see if that resolves the problem. The IAT sensor is the same as the old resin-style ECT sensor, but it's probably not cracked because it's surrounded by air rather than hot water and antifreeze.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 04:17 PM   #7
Thor4SL2
Thor4SL2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak
One more thought: The IAT sensor is the same as the old resin-style ECT sensor, but it's probably not cracked because it's surrounded by air rather than hot water and antifreeze.
Amazing what you can learn here. Are they the same part number?

It's not what you know that counts,
it's what you think of in time!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thor4SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thor4SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #8
SLeepr
Master Member
SLeepr is on a distinguished road

Yes, they are last time I checked.

BTW, I've rarely seen an SES light triggered by a failed ECTS(by itself).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLeepr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLeepr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor4SL2
Amazing what you can learn here. Are they the same part number?
Amazingly enough, they are, at least for my car. Go to SaturnParts.com, look in the Mechanical Parts Catalog, under Saturn/1996/SL model, and click on the links to both the ECT sensor and the IAT sensor. Same part number, same price. I actually tripped over this bit of information when examining the temperature/resistance correlation charts in the FSM. Both charts were the same. And then I looked at the connector diagrams and pin-outs in the FSM. Same again. If you actually remove the connector on the IAT, you'll see with your own eyes that it is the same, and you can even view the tip of the sensor by peering at the right angle with a small flashlight into the mouth of the air intake from the corner of the hood opening.

Last edited by Razorbak; 01-09-2005 at 05:03 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #10
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The PCM coolant temp sensor, the intake air temp sensor and the auto trans temp sensors all are the same on the S-series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #11
94sc293sl1
Advanced Member
94sc293sl1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

I thought a low temp gauge reading was usually due to bad thermostat? When my SC2 was always reading 1/4 I replaced the thermostat and it started reading normal.

Craig
Saturn owner no longer as of 12/21/05, sold my SC2.
www.insidetrackmagazine.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc293sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc293sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 10:33 PM   #12
ssicarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94sc293sl1
I thought a low temp gauge reading was usually due to bad thermostat? When my SC2 was always reading 1/4 I replaced the thermostat and it started reading normal.
96 and up with the one engine temp sensor the gauge reading is gotten from the PCM via the one temp sensor. Bad reading from the temp sensor bad temp display on the gauge

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2005, 09:52 AM   #13
kennySW2
kennySW2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

Same problem I had. First time replaced the ECTS with one from Advance auto parts. I took this part back after two days. Temperature would not get hot, then all of the sudden it would be at half. Paid $18.95 for the Saturn brand, and I have not problem since. Going on a week now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kennySW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kennySW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:19 AM   #14
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennySW2
Same problem I had. First time replaced the ECTS with one from Advance auto parts. I took this part back after two days. Temperature would not get hot, then all of the sudden it would be at half. Paid $18.95 for the Saturn brand, and I have not problem since. Going on a week now.
That's good to know. I was wondering what eventually happened with your car. You should post an update on your original thread, in case future members hit that thread doing a search and are looking for the final resolution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread