SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
gwelling
gwelling is on a distinguished road

Default New VUE owner, trailer hitch question

Just got an 05 VUE AWD to keep our 98 SC2 company. We plan to take the VUE on the beach occasionally at the Assateague National Seashore. The Park Service requires, among other things, that we carry a tow/recovery rope (optimists that they are), but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to attach one (even our Ford Contour has tow rings under the rear bumper)...so I'm looking at installing the factory trailer hitch, which would provide an attachment point (and would be handy for a bike rack). I can get the factory hitch online, but I'm wondering if it is something I can install myself, or should I just let the dealer do it? Does anyone know whether it can be installed without drilling (just a 'bolt-on'), whether the wiring harness is a pain, and whether it comes with instructions? Or is there another way to pull the thing out if we get stuck in the sand? Thanks in advance....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gwelling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gwelling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
PCF
PCF is just really nicePCF is just really nicePCF is just really nicePCF is just really nice

2004 VUE 2.2L
2005 VUE 2.2L
Thumbs Up Re: New VUE owner, trailer hitch question

I installed a Class II hitch from Hidden Hitch, ordered from JC Whitney online. It was less than the Saturn hitch. Very easy installation, it just bolts on. Two bolts on each side and two bolts in the center, 6 total. The only difficulty you might encounter is fishing the two center bolts and support plates. If you remove the plastic clips that hold the bottom of the bumper to the frame rail, it is much easier.

Search some other posts to see pictures on trailer wiring. Your owner's manual also has a section that shows where the wire loop is for the trailer feed, driver's side rear under the milk jug pocket. You will also need a wire converter to change from the 5 wire (running, left turn, right turn, brake, and ground) on the Vue to the 4 wire (running, left turn/brake, right turn/brake, and ground) trailer standard. Any auto parts place like Auto Zone will have these.

Drill a hole in one of the knockouts by the spare tire stamping, install a rubber grommet (Radio Shack) to protect the wire insulation to prevent shorts, and feed the wires through to get them to the outside of the vehicle. Seal it with some silicone to prevent water intrusion.

Good luck, and congratulations on the new Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PCF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PCF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
abbear
abbear is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New VUE owner, trailer hitch question

Do a search for "trailer hitch" and you should come up with a bunch. I believe we not only have installs with pictures, we have wiring setups with pictures.

Allen Barrett

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abbear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abbear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2005, 11:30 PM   #4
bower100
bower100 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Hi gwelling,
I put a Class III Hidden Hitch on my '04. It normally would'nt be too hard, but I wanted something extra strong because I carry my dirtbike on a M/C bumper carrier and the whole thing weights close to the rated tongue weight. I removed the bumper skin, and the styrofoam bumper "filler" to acess the hollow frame tubes on the Vue where I slid thick backer plates in to reinforce the bolt holes.
The hitch is a good idea for *pulling* from the rear...don't know about up front.

Anyway, I Am not so far from you! I had my new Vue on the beach down at Cape Henlopen State Park, Lewis, De, last weekend, ( first time). I've never done this before...want to do some surf fishing and Lynne can sun worship and keep me company. Bought the annual surf tag, must carry a towrope, jack base board and air guage.
My experience with the Vue in the soft sand was definetely a concern , ( unfamiliar and new to this), and I avoided stopping in the loose stuff or where the ruts were deep from other traffic while crossing over the dunes to acess the beach. Did'nt stop until I got on damp sand closer to the waters edge. You know the rear wheels don't drive until the fronts are spinning and from a standstill in sand, the spinning fronts bury quickly before the rears start to push. I hope I'll be ok with the Vue.
Have you been on the beach with an AWD vehicle? Your opinion? Dave.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bower100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bower100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Generally when driving in sand, owners will release some of the air in the tires so that a wider contact patch and traction area is created. (Street Bicycle vs. Mountain Bicycle) Unfortunately, some of the owners forget to put the air back in and suffer tire failure when back on the road. So add an a portable air compressor to the list.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 01:41 AM   #6
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

The Saturn hitch is a bolt-on item that is easy to install. The wiring harness is easy, also, and the VUE already has a wiring drop for it under the jack area.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
bower100
bower100 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Unfortunately, some of the owners forget to put the air back in and suffer tire failure when back on the road. So add an a portable air compressor to the list.
Actually, each access road over the dunes to the beach have one or two air stations to re-fill your tires. Nice of the Delaware park officials to put them in place. dave.
Anyone else have soft beach sand driving experience with the Vue. Ever get stuck? Dave.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bower100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bower100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I had a u-haul class III installed and it took the poor guy 4 hours to get it on. I definately got my $21.00 worth for the install.
I'd be concerned with pulling very hard on the factory hitch. Theyre not really designed for recovery and depending on how badly you stick the VUE you may damage the hitch. I've seen ppl bend various parts of smaller hitches. I went with a class III because of the greater availability of accessories and added strength.
Does anyone know if the recovery hooks can be installed on the newer VUEs, or if they're even available as an acccessory?

DJ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #9
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

In 2002, VUEs came with rear recovery hooks. They mount to the passenger side frame point where the trailer hitch would hook up.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy
In 2002, VUEs came with rear recovery hooks. They mount to the passenger side frame point where the trailer hitch would hook up.
~D.J.~
Can someone buy a hook to install on a later model? What about front recovery points? Not that I ever plan on taking my Vue into dunes, but I can see my dumb self sliding way off into a snowy ditch some day and needing to be drug out by my friendly neighborhood Jeep.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #11
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
Can someone buy a hook to install on a later model? What about front recovery points? Not that I ever plan on taking my Vue into dunes, but I can see my dumb self sliding way off into a snowy ditch some day and needing to be drug out by my friendly neighborhood Jeep.
corympak had a great pic of his VUE pulling a jeep outta a mud hole.
Saturn Accessories used to offer the hook but it'a no longer listed.

DJ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:02 AM   #12
AdamM
AdamM is on a distinguished road

Add Class III instead of Class II.

I installed a Class II hitch, the installation was easy, no drilling. I wish I would have installed a Class III because it seems there are more racks (lower priced) for Class III hitches.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AdamM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AdamM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #13
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Installing a hitch on my VUE was a piece of cake. Just follow some of the well-described installation instructions posted on Saturnfans and you'll do fine. And don't lose those bolts in the frame rails!

I went with Class III simply because there seemed to be more available accessories. I don't know if I'll ever tow with it but bike racks were easy to find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #14
guardm
guardm is on a distinguished road

I used a class II but don't use it much. I preferred it over class III because it is stealthy and for what I use it, it is good enough. There may be a pic in my gallery if you care to see it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guardm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guardm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread