SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 10:58 AM   #1
blkmrideon22s
blkmrideon22s is on a distinguished road

1992 SL
Default 1993 saturn sl1 temp gauge

i have a 1993 saturn sl1 and for the past couple of weeks my car temp gauge has been reading cold even on a two hour drives my car never get's warm. so i replace the thermostatand the temperature switch but when my friend replace the temperature switch he didn't tighten all they way down becuase the bolt was starting to round off. so when i crank the car up and let it idie or try to drive the car it runs hot quick. i check the water pump and it's fine. so could it be that my head gasket is blown or what?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blkmrideon22s's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blkmrideon22s reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
emailer33
emailer33 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default Re: 1993 saturn sl1 temp gauge

may wanna check your coolant level. and describe what you mean by running hot. does it get to the line before teh H before it starts to settle down? or does it actually get to the red H line?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emailer33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emailer33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2004, 01:08 PM   #3
blkmrideon22s
blkmrideon22s is on a distinguished road

1992 SL

my coolant level fine. my temperature gauge gets just a little over the red line but i turn it off before it get to the h mark. could it be the temp gauge is not reading right because of the temperature switch is not all they way in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blkmrideon22s's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blkmrideon22s reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2004, 02:50 PM   #4
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Feel the radiator, is it hot? If the radiator is not hot, then either the water pump doesn't work, the thermostat is bad, or there is lots of air trapped in the system.

Check the thermostat by placing it in boiling water. It should fully open. Make sure it's not put in backwards, also.

The temp sensor should still read the engine temperature, even if it is out a thread or 2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2004, 03:01 PM   #5
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleninpa
Make sure it's not put in backwards, also.
I don't think you can mount a Saturn thermostat upside down in it's housing and have it remain in place. JMHO. Never actually tried it, but I think the length of the spring and the location and the mounting tabs would prevent it from being mounted upside down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread