SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 10:34 AM   #1
kennywhy
kennywhy is on a distinguished road

Idea 2004 Ion 2 or 2004 Vue? (or taking advice from complete strangers)

Hello everyone. This is my first posting with your website.

I am currently the owner of a 2004 5-speed Ion 2 with about 8500 miles on the odometer. It was purchased just over a year ago and my cost was about $13,500 including all taxes. This amount does not include the $3000 I got for a Pontiac Grand Am trade-in. So my cost was actually $10,500. The only option on the car is ABS. Other than a rattling plastic dashboard, I donít have a complaint about it. It typically gets 29-31 mpg in combined city-highway driving.
Here is my ďdilemmaĒ: There is a Saturn dealership in my area still trying to clear out base 2004 Vues. There is an enticing sale in which I can get a 4 cyl., 5-speed Vue with the ďpower packageĒ and ďsports packageĒ (alloy wheels and few other odds and ends) for $14,500 out-the-door!! (no ABS) I am told that this price is just about at the dealerís cost, and they are willing to offer me $10,000 to trade-in my Ion 2. My Ion 2 is paid for, and I would only have to come up with $4500 for the Vue.

Had I purchased the Vue a year ago, when I got the Ion 2, I believe the price difference would have been about the same as the additional $4500 to buy a Vue then, so Iím really not throwing the $4500 away . . . right(??) In my opinion the Vue is more interesting looking, and certainly itís a more roomy vehicle. Iím sure Iíll be losing some gas mileage though. Does anyone out there get even CLOSE to the 30 MPG in combined driving with the 4-cyl. 5-speed in the Vue, that Iím currently getting with the very same engine thatís in my Ion? Is the 4 cylinder truly adequate, and not too stressed for the weight of the Vue?

There are so many negative postings on the Internet about the Vue; complaints, recalls and possibly inadequate suspension replacement parts (at least for the AWD) and flawed 5-speed automatic transmissions. The leftover Vue Iím considering is a late 2004 model run, and they should have the rear suspension corrected. Though, Iíll find out for sure before making a decision.
Anyway, would anyone like to give me some guidance, thought or opinion on this. Do I leave well enough alone and hang on to the Ion2, or go ahead with the 2004 Vue?
Iíve always had trouble missing out on a good deal! (Or is it?)

Ken
(Detroit, Michigan)

P.S. Anyone looking for a slightly used 2004 5-spd. Ion 2 in the Detroit area, before (or IF) I trade it in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kennywhy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kennywhy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2004 Ion 2 or 2004 Vue? (or taking advice from complete strangers)

If your ION's been good to you, I'd count my blessings and keep it.

Saturn has eliminated the moneyback guarantee and changed to exchange only.

Why tempt fate?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:59 AM   #3
quasar
quasar is on a distinguished road

1991 SC
1997 SW2

The advice I have always gotten from friends and family is "If you don't enjoy it then why keep it." That is not always a financially wise choice but money isn't everything. I know that in my case when I get up in the morning I look forward to driving my 98 SW2 because it is fun to drive. It has a 5 speed. And on nice days I get to take my 91 SC out just for fun. A car is a big investment, you should be able to enjoy having it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quasar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quasar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

We own both an ION and now two VUEs and my answer would be determined by how you use the car and what you like to drive. For most of the year I prefer an ION because I like driving a smaller, lower car. The ION gas mileage is also better than even a 4 cyl VUE by about 5 mpg in town and 9 mpg on the highway. At the same time I prefer the VUE for vacations, carrying larger objects, tailgating at football games and driving in the snow. Having both cars works in our house because my wife prefers driving the larger VUE all the time and she uses it as her daily car.
Overall our first VUE was relatively trouble free after they replaced the initial VTi tranny within the first 1500 miles. We have over 30,000 miles since without incident. That VUE is now driven primarily by our daughter whose job often requires her to drive in the mountains north of us and she feels more secure with the AWD. Last week we purchased an 05 stick 5 speed VUE for my wife. She likes it very much but we don't have enough experience with it yet to advise what the gas mileage is averaging with the standard transaxle. As for the four banger in the VUE it is adequate for me although my speed requirements may not be as great as what some others want. If a car can safely enter and merge with traffiic at interstate speeds and have enough power to accelerate and pass on the highway from a cruising speed of 75, it is fast enough for me. I rarely drive over 80mph except to pass and the 4 cyl VUE meets my power needs.
We have had good experiences with both the ION and the VUE. My advice to you therefore is to make your decision based on the uses you project for the car and the kind of vehicle YOU most enjoy driving. There is no question that the lower ION and higher boxier VUE have a different feel to drive and only you can say what you prefer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

The ION and VUE are completely different classes of vehicles. Decide what you need a vehicle FOR, and that will make your desicion for you.

*Drive it like you bought it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonataInFSharp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonataInFSharp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2004, 01:21 PM   #6
eugenem
eugenem is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I'll echo the advice that others have given. Think about how you plan to use the vehicle. If your vehicle is strictly used for commuting, the ION may be all you need. If you find yourself carrying bikes, furniture, etc. on a regular basis, the VUE may be a better choice.

I traded in a 2003 ION 2 for a 2004 VUE AWD V6. While the ION was a perfect vehicle for commuting and the occasional long trip, I found myself wanting more power, cargo space, and AWD. The VUE was really helpful after my fiancee and I moved into our new home. Instead of paying multiple furniture delivery fees, we managed to fit everything into the VUE. Our new home is also located in a hilly area with several secondary streets that are not plowed right away. We felt that the AWD would be helpful on occasion.

The major disadvantages of the VUE (compared to the ION) is fuel economy. Also, the VUE AWD V6 is more complex compared to the Ecotec powered ION so we'll probably have higher maintenance/repair costs down the line.

Good luck with whatever vehicle you choose. They're both nice vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eugenem's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eugenem reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2004, 01:57 PM   #7
GreyDuck
Advanced Member
GreyDuck is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar
The advice I have always gotten from friends and family is "If you don't enjoy it then why keep it." That is not always a financially wise choice but money isn't everything. I know that in my case when I get up in the morning I look forward to driving my 98 SW2 because it is fun to drive. It has a 5 speed. And on nice days I get to take my 91 SC out just for fun. A car is a big investment, you should be able to enjoy having it.
That's poetry man, poetry.

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreyDuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreyDuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
Arnel
Arnel is on a distinguished road

Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Home of the World Champion Steelers & Penguins!

2001 SC2

I would only buy the VUE if they can guarantee the 10k trade-in value. I would pay heed to the negative reviews of the VUE that you have found. If the vehicle is so bad, why did Chevy choose to rebadge it and sell it as the Equinox? The answer - it is GM's best selling entry level SUV.

93m SL1 "SLone" 145,000 mi. - RIP 10/08
94m SL2 "Ringo" 209,425 - ret. 7/31/07, RIP 10/08
01m SC2 "Lello" 129,000
07a GL VUE "Orbit" 48,900 - RIP 6/19/10
10a Ford Escape Hybrid - 8600 mi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Arnel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Arnel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2004, 03:34 PM   #9
quasar
quasar is on a distinguished road

1991 SC
1997 SW2

Hey Grey Duck. Where did you get a 1992 ION Red Line? Check your Avitar.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quasar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quasar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #10
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnel
If the vehicle is so bad, why did Chevy choose to rebadge it and sell it as the Equinox?
The Equinox has a metal body, different engine and different interior. It's a big difference.
A Vue is worth it if one needs the extra cargo space and can live with less fuel economy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2004, 03:47 PM   #11
Arnel
Arnel is on a distinguished road

Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Home of the World Champion Steelers & Penguins!

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky
The Equinox has a metal body, different engine and different interior. It's a big difference.
...but alas...no chicken before the egg argument here. If the VUE didn't sell, the Equinox never would never have come to fruition.

93m SL1 "SLone" 145,000 mi. - RIP 10/08
94m SL2 "Ringo" 209,425 - ret. 7/31/07, RIP 10/08
01m SC2 "Lello" 129,000
07a GL VUE "Orbit" 48,900 - RIP 6/19/10
10a Ford Escape Hybrid - 8600 mi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Arnel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Arnel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2004, 12:30 PM   #12
BruceOz
BruceOz is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar
Hey Grey Duck. Where did you get a 1992 ION Red Line? Check your Avitar.
Boy, talk about being the first one on the block.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BruceOz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BruceOz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread