SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #61
geekdaddy
geekdaddy is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Changing a Front Hub/Bearing on an S-Series (with pictures)

Thanks to all the folks who supplied advice and answered questions here. My daughter and I just removed both knuckles and will take them to the machine shop to press-out the old bearings/hubs and install the new Timken HA590156K's.

We were patient and soaked all the nuts with pb-blaster before going to work. Everything went well except for the lower ball joint. I finally went to my local harbor freight and purchased a ball joint separator. It was very challenging to get in the optimal position but did the job and did not damage the boot. Here is the tool we used:
"3/4" Forged Ball Point Joint Separator" You can search for it at the harbor freight website (sorry, I'm a new forum member and cannot post links yet).

Anyhow, thanks again for all the advice here. This was a good father/daughter project and we saved her nearly $500 in repair costs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geekdaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geekdaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2014, 12:34 AM   #62
hooked2u
hooked2u is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1999 SC2

Nice explanation and photo layout Twin Cam. Thanks.

<<1999 Saturn SC2 4 speed automatic. 262,658 (as of: 2014AUG29), low comp cyl#3, parked, use emergency trans. only; 2001 Saturn SC2 5 gear manual. < 127K mi, purch May 2014. Great MPG!>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hooked2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hooked2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hooked2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #63
IbNoelS
IbNoelS is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
1996 SL1
Thumbs Up Re: Changing a Front Hub/Bearing on an S-Series (with pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1commuter View Post
ok maybe not amazon has it for about 400
After finding and reading this thread I decided to byte the bullet and purchase the OTC (6575) Hub Grappler Kit, (I used the rational that it could also be used to pull brake drums off.)

As many have stated before me many thanks and kudos to those that who Have posted pictures and/or shared their knowledge with the rest of use Saturn fans.

The most difficult part of this bearing job was that blanking snap ring both removing and installing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IbNoelS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IbNoelS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IbNoelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #64
Linus
Linus is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

Hugely helpful and informative thread. I just replaced my passenger spindle with minimal issues based on the info and pics here.
I'd like to add, it is possible to remove the axle from the knuckle if the ball joint doesn't pop loose like mine didn't. By turning the steering knuckle all the way as if making a tight left hand turn and pulling away from the car I was able to carefully coax the axle out. This allowed the use of the puller tool without having to remove the control arm from the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Linus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Linus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:29 AM   #65
miner64
miner64 is on a distinguished road

Be aware i just changed my driverside wheelbearing on my 99 saturn sc2, and was unaware that the old bearing has to be takin out the back side of the knuckle, and the new one has to go into the knuckle the same way the old one went out.
It drove me crazy , with being disabled with a bad back , i kicked its butt but i have to change the cv axel on both sides and all ball joints, so the car won in the end lol
This sight has helped me alotthank youguys for letting me on here

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to miner64's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help miner64 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
miner64 is offline   Reply With Quote