SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #41
tyshubrick
tyshubrick is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Changing a Front Hub/Bearing on an S-Series (with pictures)

So, I'm seeing the Pictures just fine.

I am so very thankful for the time you took to make the post as I've just removed my hubs/knuckle and have dropped them off at the local shop to have them pressed apart and the bearings pressed in.

And regarding post #20, the pickle fork worked perfectly and easily. No damage to the boots on the ball joint, either.

One question I do have, is, what are the torque specs for putting it back together?
  • 2 18 mm castle nuts for the upper and lower ball joints
  • 2 19mm (or are these 21?--I can't remember now )bolts holding steering knuckle to strut
  • 2 18 mm bolts holding caliper housing to the knuckle
  • 2 14 mm bolts holding the caliper
  • 1 30 mm nut holding the hub onto the spindle/shaft

Again thank you for this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tyshubrick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tyshubrick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tyshubrick is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #42
tyshubrick
tyshubrick is on a distinguished road

So, somehow I didn't see the torque specs in the thread. I'm an idiot.

Thanks again for the steps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tyshubrick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tyshubrick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tyshubrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #43
Jess Lookin
Jess Lookin is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 VUE 3.0L

Thanks for the write up Twin Cam ! Just did mine yesterday, wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

01 SC2 - Miss Parker - a work in progress
00 SC2 - hibernating

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jess Lookin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jess Lookin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jess Lookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #44
rbar
rbar is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Lookin View Post
Thanks for the write up Twin Cam ! Just did mine yesterday, wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
I agree, this site has been very helpful in this process.
There are a few details that could be added, such as the Half-Shaft nut will likely require a deep-well 30mm socket instead of a regular...mine regular one would not reach. Extra trip to town.
Also, have an extra breaker bar handy; my wheel bearings had never been done before, even after soaking, the first breaker bar broke at the ball detent. Extra trip to town.
I bought the cheap HF 12 tone press, it is a piece of junk, but with some adjustments (squaring, filling the huge tolerances, etc.) it works for this project. You will still need to "fit it" to the press blocks using chunks of metal and dies slightly smaller than the bearing on the pushing sides, and slightly larger on the exit side, of course. I used some old plumbing fittings slightly modified and the cheap aluminum HF bearing driver dies. Drive 50 miles to nearest HF.
The old rusted keeper ring was the biggest problem...better wear gloves if you do not have the right tool for removing this. After several soakings I was just able to work one end free, got a screwdriver in behind it and manhandled it out. Once the end is out and bent up, you have a handle to wrestle it the rest of the way out.
If you press your own bearing out, be safe. When my bearing let go, it sent me and my son running for cover! 'Came out most of the way, ran out of clearance, I was able to hammer it the rest of the way out, amazingly, without losing the outer race.
I had my new bearing in the freezer for two days prior to this. It required very little pressure from the press to get it in, even without heating the yoke. If one heated up the yoke, I believe it would probably drop in, or if one was really careful and had the right die, tap in manually. DON'T use any sharp objects around the bearing, when you put the keeper pin in...you may poke the bearing seal, which is palstic.
Leave this assembly in the sun to heat up and when hot, take your hub out of the freezer and press it in.
I recommend a little anti-seize on all threads in reassembly...even if it impacts the torque readings slightly, I don't want to have such a hassle breaking them loose next time.

BTW, It really bothers me psychologically that any wheel bearing would have plastic components! Therefore, I'd say be careful with ANY heat applied, as odd as that sounds, with a wheel bearing...these are sealed units, and huge.
OUT OF CURIOSITY, ARE there any aftermarket bearings which are all metal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rbar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #45
Saturn98sl
Saturn98sl is on a distinguished road

1998 SL

Im in the middle of this mess now, biggest problem is the holes in the retainer ring are gone and that sucker is rusted in. Im taking it to work tonight to go nuts on it, everything else went pretty smoothly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn98sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn98sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn98sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #46
tom_94305
tom_94305 is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to press out the bearing/press in the new bearing with the steering knuckle assembly on the car? If so, what tools are recommended for the pressing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tom_94305's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tom_94305 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tom_94305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #47
justanotherjpr
justanotherjpr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_94305 View Post
Is it possible to press out the bearing/press in the new bearing with the steering knuckle assembly on the car? If so, what tools are recommended for the pressing?
I don't see a reasonable way that one could press all the parts in/out without removing knuckle and certainly with less effort than removing the knuckle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justanotherjpr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justanotherjpr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #48
SL1commuter
SL1commuter is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
1996 SL1

ok, what is the trick to get that damn retaining ring out!! would a torch and a brass drift loosen it up? I have a new hub and bearing to I'm not too concerned about what's in there now. I've ruined to pairs of snap ring pliers so far

99 SL1 5 Spd $600!! 160k miles
96 SL1 parts car 220k miles
05 Jeep Rubicon- 4.5 BDS Lift, 33's
86 K30 M1008 CUCV Ex Military truck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL1commuter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL1commuter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL1commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #49
SL1commuter

1999 SL1
1996 SL1

well i sprayed it with PB Blaster and will let it sit over night so I can go pick up some snap ring pliers tomorrow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL1commuter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #50
SL1commuter

1999 SL1
1996 SL1

tip for those about getting the snap ring out, I took a small pair of needle nose pliers pried out on one side of the snap ring then took a very small screwdriver behind it. took another screwdriver and just walked the snap ring right out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #51
SL1commuter

1999 SL1
1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
I don't see a reasonable way that one could press all the parts in/out without removing knuckle and certainly with less effort than removing the knuckle.
check this out, it's probably a fortune though!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQLge...eature=related

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #52
SL1commuter

1999 SL1
1996 SL1

ok maybe not amazon has it for about 400 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZG69D2/..._df_B004ZG69D2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #53
SL1commuter

1999 SL1
1996 SL1

well I pressed the bearing into the knuckle no problems but went to press the hub into the bearing and blew out the second half of the bearing, must not have had it straight and probably should have had something underneath the bearing. this is my first time with a press, any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #54
Rileysowner
Rileysowner is on a distinguished road

Thanks to this post I was able to get everything apart. It took longer that I expected, thank-you salt on the roads in the winter, but it is apart. The machine shop closed at 5 when I finally got things disassembled on the one side, so I will have to bring the knuckle in tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too expensive to press it out and press the new one in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rileysowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rileysowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rileysowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #55
whiteh34
whiteh34 is on a distinguished road

I have everything off, now I am a bit stumped on how to press out the bearing itself. I got the HUB and the retaining ring off.

What side does the bearing need to be pressed from? The back or the front? And is it pushed from the inner race (the wider one i guess)?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteh34's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteh34 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #56
avuwa96
avuwa96 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Great write-up, well illustrated step-by-step w/ pics.
Don't know if anyone can confirm this for step 27

27. Put the wheel back on and snug up the lug nuts. Take the car off of the jackstands. Torque the halfshaft nut to 145 ft-lb...

I'm not 100% sure, but shouldn't this be done while the wheel is jacked up so the pressure is applied evenly? I was under the impression you can reduce lifespan of the new bearing if you don't torque this with the wheel of the ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to avuwa96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help avuwa96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
avuwa96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #57
Six_Spot
Six_Spot is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
Dizzy Re: Changing a Front Hub/Bearing on an S-Series (with pictures)

This thread has been the most helpful to getting this project done. However, it has taken me 3 days (so far) and a couple trips to the store once I realized I did not have all the correct Metric sockets. I am now stuck on trying to get the lower control arm off the knuckle. I borrowed a small pry bar and have nothing to extend it to give more leverage. Any Ideas?? Everything is so rusted I doubt I will be able to take off the tie rod from the frame.

Thanks.
its an 02' SL BTW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Six_Spot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Six_Spot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Six_Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #58
Six_Spot
Six_Spot is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

Nevermind with my question. Shortly after I posted I finally found Richpin's videos and learned all I needed was a BFH. A few whacks and I had it out. I then found a local shop that let me use their press for FREE! All in all a good learning experience and will tackle the intake manifold gasket when I have a day off and all the right tools.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Six_Spot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Six_Spot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Six_Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #59
dcockrum
dcockrum is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

I am on my second replacement of the front left bearing. I replaced just the front left with a 'masterpro' bearing from Oh Really only 30k ago. The masterpro bearing is $36. I had 150k on it then. At the time I figured that the original lasted 150k, so a cheap bearing should last at least half that, which would take me out to 225k, which would be the time to drive it off a cliff. That may be wrong or it may be that my hub is bungled. I did hit a curb pretty bad once. Any way, I found a Timken bearing for $33 on RockAuto. I don't have any prior experience with bearing quality, but the bearing from O'Reilly did say china, and the Timken did say USA. So for three bucks less and a few days wait it seemed a good choice. Now the first time I took it apart those nuts and bolts down there did take a lot of torque to loosen. However, as standard practice I applied a little antisieze to threads and the drive shaft splines AND threads. This second time taking it apart everything came apart pretty easy. I went straight for the 6' pipe extension on the driveshaft nut, and it only took about 30 lbf to loosen the nut. Figure I had a lever arm of 5'. That would mean the torque was about right. Compared to initial removal which probably took 100+lbf.... USE ANITSEIZE!

Now then having had such great luck with the hub nut, I decided to skip the caliper pins and go straight for the brake bracket bolts. Walla! brake off in one piece!

The first time I took the hub and spindle to Johnson Sales north of Madison, WI, because they are near my house. I had planned on doing the same again this time, but it was Saturday night, they were closed, and I was two hours ahead of schedule thanks to anitsieze. Also, since the first round I realized I have access to a press. So off to the press I went.

I pressed out the spindle, but the outer half of the outer race decided to stay on the spindle. MotherFlippingGRRRR! I have to wonder if that was a built up outer race. The Timken bearing doesn't have any sign of a connection in the middle outside of the outer race?!? NO MORE MASTERPRO!!! So, I took the angle grinder to it and a hardened chisel. That got it cracked and seperated from the splindle side seat a little. A gear puller did the rest.

Next up; putting it back together. I considered putting stuff in the freezer, however, since it's cold as a witches pizz here in wisco, I brought the hub inside and left everything else in my 2-car deep freeze. That'll buy me 70 degrees of thermal expansion. Not quite 400 that the oven would offer, but I have a 20 ton press, and I'd rather not wear gloves to handle a smoking hot hub. Hopefully, I won't have anything more of interest to report, but if I do, I will let ya know. Later.

'99 SL2.

Save a horse, drive a Saturn!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcockrum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcockrum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcockrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #60
dcockrum
dcockrum is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

Oops I meant the inner race on the outside stayed on the spindle. ..so I clamped the spindle in a vice and went to town on the race with a grinder.

Save a horse, drive a Saturn!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcockrum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcockrum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcockrum is offline   Reply With Quote