SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #21
intercessor
intercessor is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Changing a Front Hub/Bearing on an S-Series (with pictures)

I have everything off, except how do I get the axle out of the knuckle?

Tnx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to intercessor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help intercessor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
intercessor is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #22
intercessor

Ok I just whacked the end and the knuckle loosened from the spline.
Is there anything I should look out for as far as keeping the alignment ok when reinstalling?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help intercessor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #23
intercessor

Took the car for a test drive and the drowning sound didn't go away! All that effort and it did crapola arrrgh.

Thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2008, 06:21 AM   #24
intercessor

Not "drowning" but "droning" :to make a sustained deep murmuring, humming sound. Some reason it won't let me edit on this thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #25
haymaker11
haymaker11 is on a distinguished road

After i press in the new wheel bearing, what would happen if i did not put the retainer ring (clip) back in for the bearing?

Since the bearing is pressed in, it shouldn't come out right? Is the retainer ring just a "precaution".

Am i crazy to drive it without the retainer ring in place?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haymaker11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haymaker11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haymaker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #26
navaidstech
navaidstech is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

Is it really necessary to replace the hub as well if it's just the bearing that's shot? Or is there a possibiliy that the hub itself may go bad?

thanks

Navaidstech
1992 Saturn SL1
342,000 miles (550,000 km)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to navaidstech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help navaidstech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
navaidstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #27
melfar
melfar is on a distinguished road

your site is no longer valid? Trying to get wheel bearing off and it won't budge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to melfar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help melfar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
melfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #28
twin2004
twin2004 is on a distinguished road

Cannot get down load of pictures? Help!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twin2004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twin2004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #29
sdowney717
Advanced Member
sdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of light

heat the knuckle near the bearing with a torch. It will expand and lesson the grip on the hub bearing. Clean all the old rust off the inside of the knuckle, I wire brush with a drill.
Use heavy grease or antiseize on these parts when you put it together. We just did a Honda and the new ones after cleaning up just slipped together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdowney717's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdowney717 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #30
mrclean92124
mrclean92124 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Anyone know where to order just the balljoint dust boot for a 96 SL2??? I'm having no luck finding.

Update: I found THIS thread to be very helpful...including part numbers. Seems a generic boot is adequate for both tierod ends and balljoint. One tip was NOT to use pickle fork to separate lower control arm.. just use a crowbar or other instead:
Quote:
Use a long crow bar, wedge it on top of the LCA and below the sway bar.. then put a lot of force/stand on the end and it should pop the stud out.
PS: Nothing like a quick post to assure that hours of fruitless searching immediately morph into a search hit. LOL

Thanks.

Last edited by mrclean92124; 04-07-2010 at 04:23 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrclean92124's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrclean92124 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrclean92124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #31
joshp
joshp is on a distinguished road

I don't understand why you mark the strut to knuckle mounting location with a marker. Won't everything align since the bolt holes aren't slotted? Or are the bolt holes slotted?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joshp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joshp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #32
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Sorry, not on here very often, let me answer some questions...

1. To get the axle out of the hub, hold a piece of wood right up to the part of the axle that the huge 30mm axle nut screws onto, and hit it hard with a 2 lb. sledge hammer, or other big hammer. It'll eventually move back and forth enough to be able to push it through the hub.
2. Saturn recommends you change the hub and bearing at the same time, so they wear evenly, like brake pads and rotors. You don't HAVE to, it's just one of those "well, it's already apart, might as well" situations. It's only a little extra money.
3. Further down the first page is the directions that aren't linked to that site, pictures and all. Just scroll down a bit farther.
4. The holes in the strut are slotted, to allow for changes when you get an alignment done on the car. Therefore, just bolting the knuckle back in without checking can give you some pretty nasty alignment settings, to the point where it could affect handling and tire wear. Be sure you have an alignment done after removing the knuckle if you're unsure you have it in the EXACT spot it was.
5. Definitely install the c-ring that holds the bearing in. It can work itself out without that c-ring holding it in place. So yes, you're crazy. There's a chance your wheel could fall off.

'00 SL2m- DD, 186K miles
'05 Honda CR-V- wife's DD and my upright bass hauler
'84 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk- toy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twin_Cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twin_Cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Twin_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #33
NFP
NFP is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Changing a Front Hub/Bearing on an S-Series (with pictures)

Just the thread I was looking for, thanks Twin Cam!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NFP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NFP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #34
NFP
NFP is on a distinguished road

Heart Re: Changing a Front Hub/Bearing on an S-Series (with pictures)

All done, was pleasantly surprised at how well the ball joint came off without using a separating fork, just a 4' bar and a 3lb maul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NFP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NFP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #35
vincey
vincey is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Am I blind or stupid or both that I'm not seeing the pictures that go along with these instructions? These steps are many more than I'm used to from other make/models and might be more than I can handle on my own. Pictures will let me know if I'm willing to go the distance or not.

Thanks!

Vince

2001 SC2 157K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vincey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vincey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #36
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

The original link in the beginning of the thread is no longer valid, but the post is repeated with pictures in message 17 further down in the thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #37
frix
frix is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I can't see the pictures either. Not even in the post you mentioned. Not sure why. We're going to be changing mine in a week or two.

2001 Saturn L200, 158063 miles on the first BCM, 15 and counting on the new one...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #38
vincey

2001 SC2

So I'm not the only one not seeing pictures, specifically not seeing pictures in post #17. Or Chris Angel is running this thread and making me not see them. If this thread turns into a popcorn bowl, I'll know this to be true.

Vince

2001 SC2 157K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help vincey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #39
vincey

2001 SC2

Cool! Magic! That Chris Angel is the best I tell ya! lol

Thanks whomever, the pictures will really help.

Question though, when looking up the hub assembly at autozone for my '01 SC2, multiple tools show up at the bottom of the screen. Can those be used instead of paying $30 a pop to have the old bearing pressed out and then new one pressed in? If one of those loan a tools work, I'd rather do that. I haven't called a machine shop yet, just looked online at their prices, so I don't know if they charge $30 to press out and then $30 to press in or what. Just trying to be cost effective since I'm doing both sides of the front.

Thanks again!

Vince

2001 SC2 157K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #40
vincey

2001 SC2

ok, now I'm getting confused, does the '01 SC2 need to be pressed or not? I called around for parts, AZ and AA both say its a kit and the bearings need pressed. PB says its an assembly that comes pressed. If it comes pressed is this an easier fix than I thought? What steps from Post #17 can be eliminated? Does the knuckle assembly still come into play? Thanks for any assistance offered.

Vince

2001 SC2 157K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!