SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 04:05 PM   #1
2tirefire
2tirefire is on a distinguished road

Attention 99 SL Saturn "Service Engine Soon"

Hello all I would like to introduce myself real quick. I just bought a 99 SL saturn and love it, I am getting it ready to give to my grandma for her around the town car. The only problem is that the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light is on when I bought it. Is this considered a check engine light or is it just telling me that the car needs to go in for service? I don't want to freak my grandma out so could someone tell me how to clear this light, or if I can get it checked out for free somewhere so I can get the part to remedy this problem. THANKS!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2tirefire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2tirefire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
JPDucketts
JPDucketts is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 99 SL Saturn "Service Engine Soon"

The service engine soon (SES) light is not a maintenence light. It comes on when the pcm detects an error/fault with one, or multiple emissions monitors. You don't always have drivability issues when it is on either. Could be O2 sensor, EGR, even a loose gas cap!, etc....just examples. Places like Auto Zone will read a code for you. From what I heard it is a free service. Check there or other parts stores if they offer that service.
If they do read your codes and tell you what is wrong, I would suggest doing a search on here before attempting to repair it. They may suggest a part or repair that isn't necessary.
Clearing the code will requir a scan tool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JPDucketts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JPDucketts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2004, 04:40 PM   #3
2tirefire

Schucks said that they could read the code for me, but would I have to take it to the dealer and get the code cleared or can the auto part store do that for me also? The guy I bought it from said that the code was a valve that was needed. I just want to get rid of the light, it is starting to bug me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2tirefire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2004, 04:45 PM   #4
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

You can clear the code by disconnecting the battery and waiting several minutes. The best thing is to get the actual code (PO-something-something-something) and post it here.

The first "valve" that pops in my mind is an EGR valve, an expensive thing to buy, a cheap thing to clean (which might be all that's needed), and an easy thing to do yourself. But you do need to get specific with the code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2004, 04:52 PM   #5
2tirefire

so if I go get the code and fix the problem by myself will the light shut off?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2004, 05:43 PM   #6
2tirefire

I just went and used one of the scanners at the local auto part store and not really knowing how to use it I came up with a final code of P507. But right before that code P1404 flashed real quick. please let me know how to remedy the problem so the light shuts off. THANKS!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2004, 08:47 PM   #7
JPDucketts

P0507 is for a high idle
P1404 is for EGR circuit.
I agree with eljefino, cleaning the EGR out would be a good idea first. Check the wiring to the EGR also. The connector could have damaged terminals or chafed wires. Also check your fuses! In the underhood fuse block and in the passenger footwell.
The link shows a pic of the EGR. 2 Bolts hold it in place. Replace the gasket when you are done. I just got an EGR gasket (for a 92 S-10, not a Saturn) for a buck at Napa. High idle can be a result of EGR problems. http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/16951/sort/2/cat/500/page/1 Image uploaded by JPDucketts at SaturnFans.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JPDucketts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2004, 10:50 PM   #8
2tirefire

any tips on how to clean the EGR? I figure I will use carb or throttle body cleaner???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2004, 08:51 AM   #9
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Do a search of the forums. I think wolfman posted once about how to clean the pintle and cavity of the EGR with carb cleaner and an old toothbrush.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2004, 11:40 AM   #10
JPDucketts

I tried looking myself in "How-to?" but came up empty. Also, you may want to clean your Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. It's in the throttle body, and could give you idle problems. I use 2+2 to clean out EGR and the throttle body. Just try to remove any carbon depsoits. I run the engine for a few seconds while the EGR valve is off the car (it will idle very high while you do this). I fire it up and rev it a few times to blow out any debris that might be in the EGR passage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2004, 06:00 PM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDucketts
I tried looking myself in "How-to?" but came up empty.
I think something's going on with the Search function. Posts that I know are there, and I know contain certain words, don't show up on a search for those words.

2tire, another way to reset the SES light, without having to disconnect the battery, is to remove the "PCM B" fuse from the underhood fuse box for a minute or so. If you disconnect the battery, you'll lose the time and stored stations from the radio. If you have a "secure" radio, you may have problems accessing it again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2004, 08:23 PM   #12
JPDucketts

yeah I thought that was a little strange. cleaning the EGR is one topic discussed alot on here and I figured Wolfman or someone would have a "how to".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread