SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
GaryB
GaryB is on a distinguished road

Question 96SL2 turns over, but won't start. HELP!

My '95 SL2 (about 30k miles) has an intermittent starting problem. It always turns over normally, but unpredictably (perhaps once a week) it won't start. Usually the car fires right up, but during these intermittent periods it will not start despite repeated and/or prolonged turning over. Flooring gas pedal does nothing, and there is no smell of gas. The car came with an alarm, but problem seems to happen whether alarm is engaged or not. It worked perfectly for mechanic (of course!), but I am losing trust in the car. After about 10 to 50 minutes waiting for AAA tow truck, it starts right up, and runs perfectly, as if to embarrass us! Today, for the first time, it happened two different times. Fuel filter, wires, plugs, about a year or less old. I have learned so much from reading posts of talented forum members, and hope someone can give me a clue here. Thanks. -Gary B

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GaryB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GaryB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2003, 08:22 PM   #2
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

Since it's free, might as well get the local auto zone or whatever to test the battery/alternator.

I think getting this moved to the tech talk forum would yield more feedback as well.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:41 PM   #3
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

The next time you run into this, verify that you have spark and fuel to isolate the possibilities.

When you turn the key to run (before start) listen for the fuel pump to run, then stop. If you don't hear that, then somewhere (pump, relay, wiring) may have an intermittent.

Pull off the plug wires off of one of the ignition coils and have a helper watch them as you crank - you should see arcing between the exposed coil towers. If not, you don't have spark. Put the wires back on. In this case, you could have a bad ignition module or a intermittent crank position sensor among other things.

But since you don't smell fuel... take off the intake and spray a small amount of fuel (a couple of ounces) into the throttle body. Turn the car over - if it sputters or pops, you have a fuel delivery problem. There is also a small Schoeder valve (like a car tire valve stem) on the fuel rail - put a rag over it and press in the valve's pin and see if you have a good spray of fuel.

You don't mention that this occurs only on a hot start or only on a cold start and you don't mention that the car quits while running. Anything more about the conditions when it fails?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
GaryB

Default Intermittent starting problem

Thanks much for the suggestions. (I am new, and thought I WAS in the Tech Talk forum.

Intermittent starting problem has happened (and "cured itself") during cold starts, and if I recall correctly, once when engine was still warm.

Car never stalls. Once it is running, it is fine. It's just that lately, when you park it somewhere, you never know if it will start. Up to now this has been a problem free, well maintained car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GaryB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2004, 05:18 AM   #5
humannuman
humannuman is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Same Problem

I have a 99 SL2 with 91K and I am now having the same problem. It seems to start right up cold starting but if I stop and come back in an hour or so it may not start up and then the fun begins. I did change my ECTS which was cracked and by the suggestion of the members in the tech forum that should work but it did not. I tried to listen for the fuel pump when it did not start but I dont think I heard it. Its hard to test for spark when this happens when your by yourself when it happens and its random as to when it will happen. Has anybody gotten this problem fully resolved? If so how????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to humannuman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help humannuman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2004, 10:53 PM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The in car fuse box (passenger side foot well) has several relays. Try swapping the fuel pump relay with one of the others and see if the problem goes away.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-30-2004, 05:54 PM   #7
GaryB

Ever since the Crank Position Sensor was replaced several months ago, we have not had any starting problems whatsoever. We're back to a reliable, dependable SL2. With the expert guidance offered on these forums, you're in good hands; especially the legendary wolfman!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2004, 12:15 AM   #8
humannuman

1999 SL2

well my car did it again.... I tried the relays but to no avail... GaryB did it happen randomly with you too? Tonight it took an awful long time for it to turn over though. I dont know why it seems like the time it takes to start back from this problem varies from a few minutes to up to an hour tonight. The battery is at 12.5 and the fuses looked fine. I have been having trouble listening to that fuel pump for noise, it seems I can never have someone around to help me with it. Well thanks for the insight...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help humannuman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2004, 10:23 PM   #9
GaryB

Yes. It was very random. It's intermittent, unpredictable nature made it hard to diagnose. It didn't matter if engine was warm or cold. Various mechanics tried, but it was only the expertise of this forum that cured the problem. When it was hard starting, it would not start despite repeated tries. The engine turned over at a normal speed, so we knew the battery was ok. Then, 20 minutes to an hour later, sometimes just as the tow truck would show up, we would give it that one last try. Then, as if to embarrass us, it would start right up. The part we replaced (crank position sensor), if I remember correctly, only costs about $15. And if you search this forum, you can even find photos to help locate the part, posted by other very helpful members of this forum!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2004, 10:55 PM   #10
humannuman

1999 SL2

Ok thanks, I did actually get the sensor from autozone yesterday and put it in and i'll just wait and see, I was having the same exact problem with my 99 SL2. it would go out and I would just sit there any where from 5 minutes to an hour just hoping it would start. I did test the old sensor and the resistance was fluncuating from low megaohms to high kiloohms and the sepcified range was 700-900 ohms I tested the new one and it read 774. The funny thing is that today I tried testing the old one again and it was flunctuating and then all of a sudden it stopped and went to 800ohms so now im baffled as to what happened to the sensor. Could something be loose in it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-03-2004, 12:36 AM   #11
bhall10
bhall10 is on a distinguished road

Just a quick tip: the fuel pump can be heard more easily if you drop the back seat down - assuming yours comes down. I'm not at all familiar with models other than my 98 SL1 (am getting all too familiar with it!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bhall10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bhall10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2004, 11:10 AM   #12
montoyaf1
montoyaf1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 96SL2 turns over, but won't start. HELP!

I used to have the same problem with my 1994 Mazda Miata. I had a low quality, Mazda dealer installed alarm put in it, and over the next couple years I noticed that when I tried to start the car nothing would happen. Then I'd wait a few seconds and it would be fine. My mechanic was dumbfounded. Eventually we figured out what was causing it when the alarm fried the crank position sensor and I had to have the alarm removed and the sensor replaced.

Right now I have a 92 Saturn SL2 that for the past couple weeks consistantly has trouble starting when cold, but once it is started it seems okay. It cranks fine, but doesn't catch for a while. Over the past year I've replaced the fuel filter, both coolant sensors (the upper one that goes for about $17 and the lower one for about $12), I replaced the valve cover gasket since it was leaking oil onto the sparkplugs, and I've replaced the EGR valve and scraped the carbon deposits out of that one chamber and replaced its gasket, but the problem hasn't gone away. I replaced the PCM with a used one due to an unrelated problem I had and I replaced the plugs, wires, and the O2 sensor. So with all of those things I've done I can't understand why I'm now having these problems starting it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montoyaf1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montoyaf1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2004, 10:06 PM   #13
markus90000
markus90000 is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain. My crankshaft position sensor had me so confused this summer. Somedays it would start and I would test drive it, but after I parked it in the garage and told the wife "I fixed it", it wouldn't start the next time. Somedays I would get spark accross only 1 side of the coil. However, in a desparation move before I called the tow truck (luckily it was sitting in my garage) I descided to change the crankshaft position sensor. I had my doubts because when I removed the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) it was reading 800 ohms. After I brought it down to Auto Zone they checked the resistance of the CPS as they waved a metal wrench under it. My CPS did not change resistance but the new one did. I have been running trouble free ever since I replace the $13 part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to markus90000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help markus90000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2004, 05:05 AM   #14
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Water under the bridge at this point, but you could have tested that CPS while it was still in the car by cranking the engine with the CPS leads to the DIS module harness probed with an ohmmeter and looking for the consistant pulsed resistance changes.....I don't know why I have not suggested that test before, (sorry) but will endevour to remember to do so in the future.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:02 AM   #15
montoyaf1
montoyaf1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Okay, since my previous post, I have learned something new. My '92 SL2 starts perfectly fine when the temperature outside is a little milder (i.e. 40 degrees or warmer), but when it drops to the 30s or below it gets a bit hard to catch. Once it is started it runs fine and if the engine is warm it will even restart. But one other clue is that after driving 15-20 minutes to work this morning and shutting it off, the fan was running. I wouldn't think that the fan would continue running after shutting off the car if I had only driven a short distance in freezing weather. Could it be that, despite changing the coolant sensors, my car thinks that the engine is hotter than what it is, and hence when I try and start it in the morning it is using too lean of a mixture?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montoyaf1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montoyaf1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread