SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 10:34 AM   #1
crbykrider
crbykrider is on a distinguished road

Default Clutch help again????

I have been having a problem with an aftermerket clutch and a slave from saturn. I recently called a bought another clutch and noticed that the disc is 8.5 inches and my original is 8.25 inches. Im having a problem of the pedal needing to be pushed to the floor to disengage , coiuld that be my problem. the pressue plate lines up but must also be a little bigger than my original. maybe the disc is hanging up and not pulling away???? any suggestions

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crbykrider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crbykrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
crbykrider

Default Re: Clutch help again????

I also need help on one more thing. The bearing has a sleeve in it and like the original one , is offset a little. Does the bearing have to go in a certain way so the sleeve points a certain way or no????thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help crbykrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2004, 12:00 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The release bearing?

It only goes one way into the clutch fork. If it was in the wrong way I think that you would be getting clutch release to soon as you push the pedal as the bearing would be higher. The disc is in the right way. The side marked flywheel facing the flywheel?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbykrider
I also need help on one more thing. The bearing has a sleeve in it and like the original one , is offset a little. Does the bearing have to go in a certain way so the sleeve points a certain way or no????thanks
If ssicarman is right, and you are enquiring about the clutch release bearing, below are pics of mine, when I recently disassembled my transaxle...

Clutch release fork and bearing
Clutch release fork and bearing, removed
Clutch release fork and bearing, back side, plus retainer clip

Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2004, 02:15 PM   #5
crbykrider

the disc is in the right way and the bearing by the pics is in the right way but my aftermarket clutch disc is 1/4 larger than the original and my clutch is not making any noise but doesnt disengage until the pedal is on the floor and it engages as soon as it comes a hair of the floor. I also put in a new slve from Saturn thinking I lost pressure but still the same, I called saturn and they said they have never seen a defective slave. i think I have a defective pressure plate or just a defective clutch. i work for a toyota dealership in parts and I had 2 different brand clutches delivered and the discs are both 1/4 inch larger. i think this may be my prob.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2004, 08:47 PM   #6
Craig
Advanced Member
Craig is on a distinguished road

Actually, the larger clutch and disc are standard replacement parts and normally will swap into the earlier S-series cars. However, there IS a TSB about mating these with the earlier flywheels...in some cases, the clutch disc hub/springs may interfere with the recess lip in the flywheel. This requires having a .250" 45-degree bevel machined around the perimeter of the flywheel. I've seen the bevel machined into the later flywheels as OEM, although in both my '95 SW2 and my son's '94 SL2, we were able to run the later clutch without modification to the flywheel, aside from just having them resurfaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Craig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Craig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2004, 01:21 AM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The larger disc diameter should not cause any release or engagement problems unless the fit of it is interferring with the outside of the pressure plate. Not likely to happen. When you say clutch slave you mean the entire clutch hydralic system yes? Clutch master and lines and slave all together as a one piece unit right?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2004, 12:51 PM   #8
crbykrider

i did get a complet unit form saturn master/slave combo. I am getting a tinging noise when i take off in first so im wondering if i received a bad pressure plate. i tried a Sachs clutch and i think I am going to try a Zoom now hopefully this will solve my problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread