SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 08:18 AM   #1
el bon bon
el bon bon is on a distinguished road

Wrench DOHC Valve Cover Gasket Replacement on 1995 SW2

95 Saturn SW2-DOHC valve cover gasket replacement

This model has an aluminum cover with ten, T-40 bolts. It requires a gasket.
1. Disconnect the pcv valve, air filter housing hose to the valve cover and the spark plug boots, push them to one side out of the way, now remove all T-40 bolts and remove the valve cover. You may have to tap the edges of the cover with a rubber mallet to free it. The bolts, rubber inserts & washer over the bolts can be used again, just check to see if the rubber doesnít have cracks, if so replace them.
2. Clean all the bolt components and put them aside. I shake them in a small glass jar with a cleaning fluid, use anything that wonít destroy the rubber.
3. The cover has grooves where the gaskets go so make sure you do a very good job in cleaning off all of the old gasket material and oil residue from both surfaces. Remember the cover is aluminum and can be damaged using a rough steel brush. I use a paint scraper, a fine brass brush and a small screwdriver that fits into the valve cover groove. Try not to gouge the aluminum. At times the inside of the valve cover is so bad, I have it steamed cleaned at a shop for 5 bucks. Washing with soap & water also works. When everything is cleaned & dried, put some break cleaner on a lint free rag and wipe all the surfaces where the new gasket goes.
4. I have had problems using RTV for the gasket on this model & if it starts to leak, it is a mess removing the RTV gasket once it has cured so I bite the bullet and purchase Saturnís pre made gasket. The gasket they sell is heat cured & cost $42.00 Itís better then doing it over again.
5. The new gasket tends to fall out when replacing the valve cover so I use a thin coat of solventless silicon liquid gasket in the grooves of the valve cover before inserting the new gasket. Saturn sells a 3oz tube for a few bucks, you can find some in most auto stores. Just make sure you use plastic gloves because liquid gasket can be very harmful to your eyes if you rub them after the stuff is on your fingers. Read the caution label.
6. Replace the valve cover carefully, make sure it is level and over the bolt holes.
Donít push the valve cover down with a lot of pressure, it may not be aligned yet.
7. Make sure the bolts have the rubber and washer attached and install all the bolts a few
turns by hand, this will help with the alignment. Use a ratchet and slowly turn each bolt until you feel a slight pressure and stop. Use the sequence below.
8. Set your torque wrench to 10 foot lbs and follow the sequence below. Yes, 10 foot lbs
for this model. The max is 15 foot lbs. When in doubt, talk to a Saturn mechanic,they are usually very helpful. I have found some after market manuals have misprints on the torque specs & they sometimes confuse the models.
Intake Manifold
5 7
10 3 1 2
4 6 8
Exhaust Manifold

9. Now set your torque wrench to 15 foot pounds & follow the same sequence.
10. Reconnect the pcv valve, air filter housing hose to the valve cover and the spark plug boots. Start the engine and run at idle for 45 min. The heat will cure the gasket. You shouldnít have any leaks. After a few days, change the oil & filter to remove any containments.
As an added note, the two spark plug cylinders close to the timing chain take a lot of oil hits from the oil jets which could be the reason why these gaskets are the first to be penetrated with oil. Just an opinion, the jury is still out. Also some people will add a small amount of RTV around the washers and rubber on the three center bolts before they install them to block oil from penetrating.
Happy driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to el bon bon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help el bon bon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2005, 12:36 AM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

Default Re: DOHC Valve Cover Gasket Replacement on 1995 SW2

WARNING

Let the RTV dry at least 24 hrs before you turn on the engine, or else it IS going to leak.

Please follow this instruction from thread instead.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ht=valve+cover

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
>> el bon bon <<

> As an added note, the two spark plug cylinders close to the timing chain take a lot of oil hits from the oil jets which could be the reason why these gaskets are the first to be penetrated with oil. <
We continue to learn -- thank you

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
RadioRon
RadioRon is on a distinguished road

How frequently do these gaskets go bad?

I have just over 60k on my '96 SW2 and I believe the gasket is leaking because I am getting oil dripping (apparently and mostly) down the back side of the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RadioRon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RadioRon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:22 PM   #5
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRon
How frequently do these gaskets go bad?
Every 32,143.762 miles, like clockwork.

j/k - there's no predictable timeline.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2005, 06:07 AM   #6
RadioRon
RadioRon is on a distinguished road

OK. Thanks. At 60k+, then, I guess I did allright in making it this far without needing the repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RadioRon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RadioRon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread