SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 07:40 AM   #1
bdcoats
bdcoats is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn to move upscale

I know this link most likely will not work, but here it is anyway from Automotive News -

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=10266

some of the article -

Saturn Corp. executives say the division will position itself upscale of Chevrolet and Pontiac, occupying the niche once held by Oldsmobile.

The division will unveil the look in January at the Detroit auto show, where it will introduce a rear-wheel-drive roadster and a concept version of a front-wheel-drive mid-sized sedan.

Both vehicles will enter production over the next 24 months. A mid-sized sport wagon will follow in the third quarter of 2006, says Saturn General Manager Jill Lajdziak.

With new products on the way, the division hopes to increase its sales volume from 271,157 units last year to more than 400,000 units annually by 2007. Saturn also plans to add 80 dealerships.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdcoats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdcoats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2004, 07:44 AM   #2
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Saturn to move upscale

Quote:
Originally posted by bdcoats

occupying the niche once held by Oldsmobile.

Gee, that makes a lot of sense.
They just killed off Oldmobile. You get rid of a division because there is no "niche" for it anymore. And now you want to replace it? I don't get it.

Does this mean the death knell is ominent?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 07:57 AM   #3
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: Re: Saturn to move upscale

Quote:
Originally posted by UNKLE BIK
I don't get it.
GM is positioning Saturn to compete with VW in (interior) materials and styling while offering reliability associated with the Japanese competition... how does that sound to you? Saturn still attracts 70% import intender customers (a strength Oldsmobile never had) so GM is leveraging that strength with products that appeal to these customers even more than they do now.... works for me!

Beautiful People First~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galileo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galileo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:12 AM   #4
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Re: Re: Saturn to move upscale

Quote:
Originally posted by Galileo
GM is positioning Saturn to compete with VW in (interior) materials and styling while offering reliability associated with the Japanese competition... how does that sound to you?
I like that idea. I beleive that is where they should be.

However, the point I was trying to get across was the comment about positioning itself where Oldmobile used to be.
Didn't make sense for them to remove a brand because there wasn't a market for them. Then, go ahead 2 years later and replace the same market.

I though GM was being contrdictory with that statement.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:17 AM   #5
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
how does that sound to you?
Like a tall and long overdue order!

I think GM could have some success, as long as their accountants don't get too involved in the design process and start nickel and diming out some savings.

Saturn should have better success than Olds. Olds really didn't build anything to compete with Civics, CRVs, RAVs, Corollas, etc..Plus when I think of Oldsmobile, I think more along the lines of Delta 88s

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:34 AM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

gm shoulda killed olds a long time ago and use the money for saturn, but not replace olds with saturn. what's the point of that? i don't get it. of course i probably should read that article

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:57 AM   #7
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Saturn to move upscale

Quote:
Originally posted by UNKLE BIK
Didn't make sense for them to remove a brand because there wasn't a market for them. Then, go ahead 2 years later and replace the same market.
The market that Oldsmobile was chasing is still there... they just couldn't catch it. Saturn already has an audience (that's the difference) in this import-minded niche... they're just trying to increase the size of their share in that market.

Beautiful People First~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galileo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galileo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:51 AM   #8
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

The main problem with Oldsmobile was that they failed in changing the brand image. People still thought of them as old people cars. If Saturn can get past it's touchy-feely image, they can be sucessful in this market. Saturn doesn't have as far as Olds did to change their brand identity.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:04 AM   #9
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
GM is positioning Saturn to compete with VW in (interior) materials and styling while offering reliability associated with the Japanese competition... how does that sound to you? Saturn still attracts 70% import intender customers (a strength Oldsmobile never had) so GM is leveraging that strength with products that appeal to these customers even more than they do now.... works for me!
They have to make these interiors and they have to be as reliable (Or to change peoples perception).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:32 AM   #10
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

I have no problem with this, along as they actually reach the goal that Galileo mentioned.
Also, I think while the "image" should move upscale, their pricing structure shouldn't. Saturns have always been a lot of car for the money, even if they were slightly more expensive than Chevys. Not to mention, I'd like to see something similar to the Holden Torana TT36 concept in Saturn showrooms. Build that and they would definitely keep a customer!

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:32 AM   #11
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Makes perfect sense to me.

Chevrolet's strategy is to become GM's global player, which means it's the Bow Tie's job to ward off erosion of market share to the Japanese and Korean brands.
Buick will transform into GM's Lexus & Infiniti fighter.
Pontiac aspires to be the American BMW.
Cadillac hopes to become the World Standard once again.

With Saturn, GM has a marque that excels in customer satisfaction, but offers average product. If Saturn's place in GM's orbit is as the American alternative to Volkswagen, as the article seems to suggest, it must not only deliver high quality product at a reasonable price level, but maintain high marks on the Power surveys. Given GM's tendency to do things bass-ackwards when it comes to Saturn (botched L-Series, two ION restyles in as many model years), that task will prove daunting, but not impossible. If the interior of the Relay is any indication of where quality is heading in future Saturn products, it's a step in the right direction.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 05:42 PM   #12
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

All you need to do is look at the Equinox and Cobalt and you will see where Saturn fits in GM s plans. Its going to take Chevrolets place as the low priced car of GM.Chevrolet will move up to Pontiacs class.Pontiac to Oldmobiles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:16 PM   #13
HiWire
HiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2

It's quite a challenge... let's hope Saturn is up to it. The new Ions and Vues are good, but disappointing for the first significant upgrade after 10 years. I am hopeful, however, that Saturn has the resources to succeed.

Modified SC2

Take it to the track

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiWire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2004, 08:25 AM   #14
justVUEit
justVUEit is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2002 VUE 2.2L

If Saturn is intended to ward off VW, then give it a great common rail diesel or a TDI. With gas over $2 a gallon and heading no where else but up its time to tout fuel efficiency.

Saturn could have been the leader in this market introducing new technologies had the General given it the chance.

Instead they backpedal and take away the polymer. What else goes away next?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justVUEit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justVUEit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2004, 08:30 AM   #15
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

If Saturn has to be a "GM clone" line, clone the Opel/Saab lineup rather the Chevy. First get the bugs worked out of them before you send them here, though. Don't want another L-series fiasco.

Besides, Chevy's lineup looks like it is going the Daewoo route with econoboxes like the Aveo.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2004, 09:19 AM   #16
s3nfo
s3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Upscale

If, and it's a big if, Saturn can pull off the move upscale, I might consider buying another one. Has to have good styling, has to have good materials and build quality and has to be reliable.

Jerry N
LW 300

"People sleep peaceably in their beds because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" George Orwell

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2004, 11:14 AM   #17
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

If they give me a polymer body, a VW Passat's interior, and Japanese (made in Japan) build quality and tolerances - they will have a product that will sell. They'll still have to fix the price games though - nobody will pay sticker for a higer end car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:01 PM   #18
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Geeze, if I wanted an upscale car I would have bought one long ago. I guess my last Saturn sales consultant had the right idea. She moved on to selling Volvos and beat Saturn to the punch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:02 PM   #19
silverblueL200
Advanced Member
silverblueL200 is on a distinguished road

So what are us broke college students supposed to buy now??

- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:13 PM   #20
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally posted by silverblueL200
So what are us broke college students supposed to buy now??
Used Saturns which many of us already drive!

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread