SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 05:49 PM   #1
frankski
frankski is on a distinguished road

Default nice article about Ion RL (in French)

http://www.autonet.ca/francais/Nouve...?storyID=13129

Ok, if you can't read French, well, I can tell you this is by far the best article about a Saturn model I have read in years by a Canadian auto journalist. I mean, to have this guy actually give the Redline some sort of an edge over the Acura RSX type S is a good sign. Generally they (the journalists) would either not bother about a Saturn or dismiss it as just inferior to the Japanese equivalent.

In the article, he does say the Acura RSX has a better interior/finish quality, but, that the RL is faster, has quad doors, won't rust and cost 6000$ less (that's Canadian money by the way) for the same amount of driving pleasure. I wonder what would it be like if Saturn would spend 1000$ more to improve the interior quality of its models? Even if they charge us 1000$ more, its still 5000$ less than an Acura in this case? And what about the rest... I mean I'm sure you can go a long way with 1000$ worth of interior quality upgrade in a Saturn.

So in my book, he seems to think the RL does an excellent job if not better

All in all, here is the final word from this guy :
+ excellent manual transmission
+ powerful engine
+ front seats

- "lack" torque at low rpm (?ok I thought supercharger were good for that...)
- rear visibility is poor
- clutch not as "progressive" as the transmission is.

Dont ask me about the last point, I dont get it. I think he means the clutch is not as smooth as the transmission, in this particular case.

Sorry if I can't translate the whole article but I guess you get the point here

Frankski

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frankski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frankski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2004, 06:24 PM   #2
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

The ION RL is not $6,000 less than the RSX in America. The ION RL is $20,950 MSRP while the Acura RSX Type-S is $24,140 MSRP. The base RSX is $20,745 MSRP. The Acura is actually cheaper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

The sticker price on the base RSX might be cheaper than the sticker on the ION RL, but the base RSX lacks the horsepower to compete with the RL. And the Saturn of Columbus dealerships are selling RL's for $16,530 this week.

http://www.saturnofcolumbus.com/DispatchAds.htm

That makes the RSX Type-S 8,000 American dollars more than the RL. That is a LOT of money (to me, anyway). The only good argument for the Acura that I can see is that in five years, it might still be worth $8,000 more than the Saturn.

Merci, frankski.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2004, 06:56 PM   #4
ayoungblood
ayoungblood is on a distinguished road

Yeah they had to of been talking about the RSX-S, the regular is much slower.

Adam

My Car = http://www.cardomain.com/id/ayoungblood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ayoungblood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ayoungblood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2004, 07:09 PM   #5
trunx
trunx is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

Besides, the $6000 less was in Canadian money (the ION RL starts at about $27000CAN, I believe). Our dollar may be gaining, but we're not at par yet...

[COLOR=Navy][U]Tristan[/U]___________
2006 ION Redline w/ Comp. Pkg.: "Yuri"[/COLOR]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trunx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trunx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2004, 12:36 AM   #6
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally posted by irish56
The only good argument for the Acura that I can see is that in five years, it might still be worth $8,000 more than the Saturn.
Haha.

I'm not laughing because I find it funny. I'm laughing because it's sadly true.

Even if they were the same price, I'd still buy an RL. I like my cars with some brute character. Resale be damned.

My reality check bounced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2004, 12:15 PM   #7
frankski

I was talking in canadian dollars, (and comparing withthe RSX-Type S) which means 6000$ canadian or 4800$ US if you prefer

I dont think we could compare the base Rsx with the RL, right? Its like comparing the base Ion with the Rsx Type-S.

By the way, they are only selling Saturns in North America including the US and Canada but excluding Mexico I did saw a couple of Saturns in Colombia when I was there but that's another story...

Frankski

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help frankski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2004, 12:56 PM   #8
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

$20,950 USD = 26,344 CD
$24,140 USD = 30,355 CD

Here is a link I use at work for currency conversion:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2004, 01:26 AM   #9
silvervoo
silvervoo is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Very postive article. Sounded like a good, objective review I think.

On the last point-- it almost sounds like he though the clutch disengaged too quickly or was too jerky (therefore not as smooth as the tranny)? I though the RL Ion clutch was certainly different from the regular Ion, but I didn't have any complaints with it. In a RL I would definately prefer a clutch with some bite to one that was too slow or worn out feeling.

●● If it doesn't have a clutch, I'm not interested ●● Vive la bote manuelle ●●

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvervoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvervoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2004, 07:31 AM   #10
frankski

Quote:
Originally posted by silvervoo
Very postive article. Sounded like a good, objective review I think.

On the last point-- it almost sounds like he though the clutch disengaged too quickly or was too jerky (therefore not as smooth as the tranny)? I though the RL Ion clutch was certainly different from the regular Ion, but I didn't have any complaints with it. In a RL I would definately prefer a clutch with some bite to one that was too slow or worn out feeling.
I know the transmission is a SAAB, what about the clutch? I supposed both the tranny and the clutch was from SAAB?
I, too, didn't have any complaints about the clutch when I tried it, actually I thought what made it so different betwewb the RL and my SC2, was the clutch being so quick.

Frankski

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2004, 01:08 PM   #11
Aeain
Advanced Member
Aeain is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Actually the Transmission is from GM. Everything is from GM. Since GM owns Saab and the such.

Andrew
2004 ION Red Line

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aeain's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aeain reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2004, 08:24 PM   #12
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

Wow...you only get 1.25 Canadian dollars for a single American.

I always roughly thought it was 1.50...

And the Euro costs about 1.25 American...I remember when it was about 90 cents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread