SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
spekter
spekter is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1
Default Keep the smog pump?

I have an 01 coupe with that dang smog pump that goes into the exhaust manifold right behind the AC comp. Do you think the computer will freak out if it's suddenly missing? I ask 'cause I am in the process of assembling a turbo setup for the car and every turbo pic I see is of a car without the pump tube going into the manifold. Has anyone pressurized one of these cars with the pump? Did you have a custom manifold made?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spekter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spekter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
jeep4523
jeep4523 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1994 SL2

Dude.....didn't you know that an oil leak and an SES light is mandatory on boosted Saturns?

There's only 3 boosted S series that I know of that are new enough to have a smog pump, and I honestly don't think any of them have it.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting that decision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeep4523's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeep4523 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
LimitedSC2k1
LimitedSC2k1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

From what i understand there were fed spec cars that do not have them. If you pull it out, from what i understand you will throw a code. What i read is that if you get an ecu from one of these fed spec cars you can swap yours out and ditch the pump without a problem. I personally belive that it a company should step up and make an s-series turbo kit for 99+ cars and just create a box that emulates the signal that the air pump gives off to trick the ecu so we can ditch them and replace it with little box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LimitedSC2k1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LimitedSC2k1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:57 PM   #4
spekter
spekter is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

I agree about that tricky box, Limited. It would be easy enough to just block off the hole and use a non smog manifold along with a "black box". I can even live with a removed CES bulb, but my main concern is whether or not the car will still idle and run OK without the smog pump. I would hate to have one of those cars that is decently quick, looks nice, but runs as bad as an old Chrysler product! Oh well. I guess these little problems are the penance car guys (and girls) pay for our sins (trying to make a Saturn faster than God intended)!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spekter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spekter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2004, 06:08 PM   #5
LimitedSC2k1

2001 SC2

Ok, this is what i have heard. I'm not a saturn engineer so i can't verify it. The air pump is just to blow cold air into the exhaust to help the pre-cat in the exhaust manifold do its job before it gets to temperature. So its only there because the pre cat is there. Or it was some trick saturn did to make it pass smog when the car is cold. Don't remember exactly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LimitedSC2k1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2004, 08:07 PM   #6
grumpy
grumpy is on a distinguished road

the pump is useless and should go in the useless parts box. right next to the A/C stuff and SES light bulb

--grumpy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2004, 04:30 PM   #7
LimitedSC2k1

2001 SC2

I wonder, how hard would it be to design a black box to remove the damn thing. I'm sure its probably simple. Just need to make something that sends the ecu the correct voltage. I imagine it currently works something like this, ecu send power to stupid pump, pump does its thing and sends a signal back to ecu to tell it that its working. then ecu cuts power, signal from pump stops. This is just my assumption, but you could probable make something that gets the power and sends the correct voltage back to the ecu to trick it into thinking its working. This is definatly something I think is worth looking into... if i only had free time Stupid work, school, girlfriend (ok she's not stupid) but no free time. GRRR.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!