SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
geepondy
geepondy is on a distinguished road

Default Why hasn't my friend seized his Saturn engine?

My friend has a '97 Saturn SL with approximately 150k miles. The car uses oil quite heavily, I'm given to understand. He says he only adds oil when he hears it tick or knocking sound. I was with him when he added oil today. The dipstick was dry and the car took just a shade under three quarts of oil. He says that is about the normal amount it takes when he adds it. Why hasn't he seized his engine? Can a car run for a prolonged period of time on just one quart of oil? I tried to warn him of the consequences of letting it get that low but he doesn't seem that concerned about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geepondy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geepondy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
Nowhere Man
Nowhere Man is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

?!!@?

That wears out bearings horribly fast. And I think its a miracle that it hasn't siezed yet. I suppose it is interesting to see how much abuse these engines can take. I thought my sister held the record for lowest oil level when her SL1 had a quart and a half in it. The best way to convince your friend is to print out this thread once everyone is done spouting off their opinions. Oh yeah, and give him what you printed out.

95' SW2
131,000 Miles
32-MPG avg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nowhere Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nowhere Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

I ran an auto transmission in my Olds Calais three quarts low once.

Once I refilled it, changed the pan gasket and filter it was OK. Although the mechanic that fixed it said it would die "any day now". It lasted me until I sold the car 2 months later!

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2004, 11:40 PM   #4
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

he is damn luckly, he is doing damage, and its only a matter of time before it does break.

look for the "MMO soak" in the how to section, it has been known to help oil problems in the past

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2004, 12:26 AM   #5
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

He needs to check his oil EVERY time he gets gas. Or more often, if possible. My former car, a 94 SL1, burned oil faster than anything. I did the whole "add it when it starts ticking" thing, but mine was never more than a quart and a half low. Never ever ever ever let it get too low. There is no such thing as checking it too often!!

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2004, 05:25 AM   #6
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

From my own personal experience about four years ago, the timing chain set went before the bearings. The bearings didn't seem to suffer much damage at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2004, 10:18 PM   #7
jeep4523
jeep4523 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1994 SL2

My work truck just got it's bi-YEARLY oil change.

When I checked the oil the otherday, I realized all that brown wasn't oil....it was oil additive to attempt to stop the sticky lifter. Then I tilted the dipstick and saw a little river of black come up........THAT was the oil.

Ugh.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting that decision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeep4523's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeep4523 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2004, 10:29 PM   #8
Niteshooter
Niteshooter is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1999 SL1

He should get a lottery ticket, he's lucky. My wife just destroyed the motor in her 99 SL 1 two days ago. The dealer told her it died because of a bad fuel pump. I pushed the issue about it sounding sick when you tried to start it so they pulled the rocker cover and discovered a bunch of broken rocker arms (3 of 8). She did not over rev the car.

Posted the entire sordid story in the dead fuel pump thread below this thread. Now wondering if I should be bailing out of my 2000 SL2

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niteshooter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Niteshooter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2004, 01:22 AM   #9
jeep4523
jeep4523 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1994 SL2

Nah, the DOHC's are stout, and it's the first time I've ever heard of broken rocker arms on a SOHC Saturn that wasn't beat on.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting that decision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeep4523's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeep4523 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2004, 04:12 AM   #10
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Must be the plastic Jesus on the dash perhaps? Start saving your money, when he does kill it, buy it from him cheap and put in another engine...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread