SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 04:52 PM   #1
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Default GM to invest $200M in Kansas plant

This is for the L Series replacement!
Quote:
Reuters
GM to invest $200 mln to refurbish Kansas plant
Thursday August 26, 5:59 pm ET

DETROIT, Aug 26 (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - News) said on Thursday it plans to invest $200 million in one of its Kansas plants, equipping it to assemble a new Saturn mid-size car that replaces the slow-selling L Series.
Saturn decided to end production of its L Series mid-size car this summer, a year ahead of schedule. The car has been a disappointment since it was launched in 1999.

The new Saturn car, which will be available as a 2007 model, will be built in GM's Fairfax manufacturing site in the latter half of 2006.

The plant, which employs about 3,000 people, currently builds the Chevy Malibu and Malibu Maxx.

GM said it plans to use the money for upgrading machinery and retooling the plant for the production of the new car.

Sales for Saturn, key to GM's efforts to fight Asian rivals, fell nearly 22 percent to 136,166 vehicles through the first seven months of this year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2004, 08:36 PM   #2
seawolf
seawolf is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Does this mean that the problem with the L-series was that it was assembled in Wilmington ???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seawolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seawolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2004, 06:37 AM   #3
Weird1
Weird1 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

I means we are getting a re-skinned Malibu instead of a re-skinned Opel.

I for one was hoping for the Opel....

-Eric

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weird1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weird1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2004, 07:47 AM   #4
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Question

Does anyone who believes the next L is going to be nothing more than Malibu-clone seriously think it's going to cost 200 mil just to slap a Saturn badge on a Malibu?

I'm hoping a concept starts making the rounds during the 2005 auto show circuit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:16 AM   #5
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

So far none of the four Epsilon variants(Saab,opel, malibu, G6) look anything like one another. Why would the fifth (Saturn) resemble the third (Malibu). i don't thnk so. If it were to resesmble the Malibu, it wouldn't take until 2007 to get the Saturn dealers a midsize to sell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2004, 04:27 PM   #6
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Have any of you optimists ever worked with the GM bureaucracy?

I bet that it takes an awful lot of meetings to change a Chevy logo to a Saturn one, especially if you don't want the new one to fall off (or not fit).

All the posts above ignore the evidence of the new GM minivans.

My read of that article is that they are spending (MOST of the) $200M on expanding the capacity of the factory in order to be able to make the Saturn version. In terms of factory upgrades $200M is really not that much (I think GM spent several Billions upgrading and adding capacity to Spring Hill before they launched the VUE, and I believe that was/is GM's newest plant.)

I for one really LIKE the 2005 Malibu, in particular the MAXX version. Of course I would MUCH prefer the Saturn version to come with plastic panels, but I am withholding my judgement until I drive them both.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:12 AM   #7
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

It's not plastic which is one of the major reasons I bought a Saturn. It may look different (Relay looks just like the others) but we have to see. Probably share many of the components

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2004, 10:39 AM   #8
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Do you think the new Saturn Midsize (with full Steel) will be better than previous L-Series?

Didn't they get burn enough from the failure of marketing, interior and competitiveness of the L?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread