SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:26 AM   #1
Spacepope
Spacepope is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default hood release problem

Allright, I was on the road in Wyoming and I decided to check my oil (little over 4000 miles on this oil change at that point). When I pulled the hood release handle inside the car, it would not retract on its own. I had to physically push it forward again for the hood to latch.

1) anyone else have this problem yet?

2) can I get it fixed at a new Saturn dealer (Saturn of Topeka) when I go for an oil change this weekend?

2008 Acura MDX 79k
2007 Aura XE 56k "Betty"
2003 Silver Blue ION 2, 46k Traded "Manni"
1998 SL 63K RIP "Bewm"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spacepope's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spacepope reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
jmettee
jmettee is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I remember people having problems with this (& broken latches) during the winter when (supposedly) water got in the cable & froze. Not sure what you problem may be.....sounds like a dealer/warranty issue.

Don't want the hood opening while going down the interstate.

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m
"Giggity Giggity Goo" -Quagmire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmettee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmettee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2004, 03:02 AM   #3
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

The cable freezing problem was on the S-Series, more predominately the fuel door cable, been there done that. On the my ION the handle keeps popping out of place, once more and Moncton Saturn will be looking at it.

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Spacepope

2007 AURA XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

OK i'm too hungover to take it in today. I'll try monday (techs more likely to be in anyway) and tell you the problem.

2008 Acura MDX 79k
2007 Aura XE 56k "Betty"
1998 SL 63K RIP "Bewm"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Spacepope reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2004, 08:52 PM   #5
matt2791
matt2791 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

The cable broke on my Ion last winter, but it never broke on my '97 SL 1.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to matt2791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help matt2791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2004, 01:06 PM   #6
QCION3
QCION3 is on a distinguished road

Where is the Saturn dealer in Topeka? I am in manhattan only 40 minutes from there. I thought I would have to take it to Wichita if I had any problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QCION3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QCION3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2004, 03:54 PM   #7
nicholasp31
nicholasp31 is on a distinguished road

Check this out.

http://www.saturn.com/comp/dealer_lo...jhtml?nav=4100

I am in Wichita, but they had to go to Topeka to get the Ion I wanted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicholasp31's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicholasp31 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2004, 06:56 AM   #8
csdibiase
csdibiase is on a distinguished road

I actually ran into that problem last month... the hood release cable had coroded and wound up jamming in the open position. I managed to get it jammed in the closed position and the dealer replaced it under warrenty without a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to csdibiase's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help csdibiase reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2004, 10:57 AM   #9
Spacepope

2007 AURA XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Saturn of Topeka is pretty new. They sent me a letter a few weeks back for a $12.99 oil change. Saturn of Olathe is charging over 30 bucks for theirs. I live up near Lawrence, and I'm pretty happy I don't have to deal with Saturn of Olathe anymore.

2008 Acura MDX 79k
2007 Aura XE 56k "Betty"
1998 SL 63K RIP "Bewm"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2004, 06:57 AM   #10
blue blood
blue blood is on a distinguished road

I also had the same problem with hood cable, as I understand it the cable was not only replaced, but was also re-routed, seems that there was some sort of problem with the first position of the cable. Has been fine since repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue blood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue blood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2004, 07:05 PM   #11
bigbee
bigbee is on a distinguished road

Mine was freezed all last winter long.
i got tired and broked it for the second time at the end of winter
i open the hood with my arm under the bumper
i'm gonna get it fix before next winter
i hope they mod it or it will break again because i wash my car every week even in polar temperature

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:23 PM   #12
robh456
robh456 is on a distinguished road

The TSB for this problem advises that the hood release cable should be re-routed to ensure that it is heading downwards when going into the release latch, not upwards, to prevent water from entering the cable and freezing. (My 2003 QC already had the cable zip-tied into this position from the factory.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robh456's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robh456 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2004, 11:34 PM   #13
Spacepope

2007 AURA XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Erm, this was August, in 100 degree heat. I don't think I have the freezing problem.

2008 Acura MDX 79k
2007 Aura XE 56k "Betty"
1998 SL 63K RIP "Bewm"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2004, 10:13 PM   #14
robh456
robh456 is on a distinguished road

That response referred to the previous reply from bigbee.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robh456's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robh456 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2004, 11:26 PM   #15
Spacepope

2007 AURA XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Seems that the handle itself is broken. Nice, since the hood has been opened maybe 10 times ever. The dealership has to order the part, till tehn I shouldn't open the hood.

2008 Acura MDX 79k
2007 Aura XE 56k "Betty"
1998 SL 63K RIP "Bewm"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2004, 09:04 PM   #16
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: hood release problem

Hi,

Well I had my hood latch "freeze" on me today... doing my Christmas shopping, decided to stop and top off my gas tank. With a wind chill that must have been in the negative F I wasn't happy to learn my hood wouldn't open OR stand outside waiting for my tank to fill. Should have listen to my parents and never let the tank get under 1/2 full in winter. (Less time outside the car, etc. etc.)

Since I happened to be only a few minutes away from Saturn of Fond du Lac I figured I'd stop in. They got me in and out in 15-30 minutes, I was very happy...

However, I didn't check the hood latch until I got home (almost 30 minutes away from Fond du Lac) . Not only didn't it open but the handle broke loose from the cable. Looks like the handle is fine and the cable snapped off just behind it.

Tried using a pliers to pull the cable out and pop the hood but it's no good. Called Saturn up and they'll get me in on Friday. Not what I wanted to do Christmas Eve, but then again I don't mind another free car wash. The highways are salty around here.

I should also check on that TSB about rerouting the cable to prevent freeze ups...

Later,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-23-2004, 09:26 PM   #17
Spacepope

2007 AURA XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Seems that I forgot to upsdate this.

Got it fixed at Saturn of Topeka. Turns out the cabler had a bend or kink in it, and the solution was to replace the whole cable. Yay for new parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2004, 12:36 PM   #18
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Mine broke yesterday. I am driving around with a latched but not closed hood. I didn't have a single problem last year, yet this season I am having all the common problems.

*Drive it like you bought it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonataInFSharp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonataInFSharp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2004, 05:38 PM   #19
BRG91 Miata
BRG91 Miata is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Nice to know this is a common problem

Mine broke en route to Toronto today while trying to open the hood to add windshield washer fluid. Gave it a yank and the cable broke about 1cm from where it attaches to the release handle. Considering that I had to turn around and drive home for an hour without being able to effectively wash my windshield (had to pull over every ten minutes or so cause there was a lot of spray), this should be treated as a safety issue. Will be contacting Transport Canada Road Safety on Wednesday to see how they feel about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BRG91 Miata's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BRG91 Miata reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2004, 06:23 PM   #20
OldGeezer
OldGeezer is on a distinguished road

Hey, you guys just made my day! Guess what I had to bring my Ion-3 in for today? Yup, another broken hood release cable! Mine went Sunday afternoon when I wanted to check my oil and add windshield washer stuff. Gave the release a yank, nada. Tried a little harder, nada. Finally gave it one more yank, the hood popped open but the wire snapped about 1" from the release handle like some of you others. Luckily, my dealer took me in right away, popped in a cable, and all is fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldGeezer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldGeezer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread