SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:10 AM   #1
04AWDV6VUE
04AWDV6VUE is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Saturn VUE Passes Rollover Test

Taken from www.thecarconnection.com -

Saturn VUE Passes Rollover Test

After failing to complete a new rollover administered by the Federal government when its suspension broke, the Saturn VUE, say sources, has passed the new test with a modified suspension. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) could release the results as early as this week. After the VUE's suspension broke under the pressure of the new test, General Motors issued a recall of more than 200,000 VUEs to beef up the suspension. A VUE modified the same way that mirrors the recall passed the test and will be ranked "in the middle of the pack," said one executive with knowledge of the test. The VUE suspension will be modified to be equal that of the new Chevrolet Equinox, which shares a platform with the VUE, but which hit dealerships earlier this year two years after the VUE's debut. GM had planned to make a running change to the VUE to improve the suspension, but the rollover test prompted the recall. The traffic safety agency has this year been conducting its first rollover tests on a track. Previously, the agency used a mathematical formula, factoring in a vehicle's specifications, to predict rollover risk. In the new tests, conducted at speeds of 35 to 50 miles an hour, vehicles are driven through several "fishhook" maneuvers, which simulate the kind of sudden swerve that might happen when vehicles leave the roadway, as in a tire blowout, and then the drivers overcompensate while trying to recover. Both the four-wheel drive and two-wheel drive VUEs failed to complete the test. They had not, as was reported in some publications, failed the test. The vehicle, in fact, was unable to complete the test after the suspension broke. -Jim Burt

Now all you doubters can stop doubting, I knew the VUE would suceed, it was and always has been a safe vehicle in my opinion.

Here is the link, if you want to read it yourself-

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=173&n=156

Its the 5th story.

'04 AWD V6 VUE (current)
'00 SC2 (former)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04AWDV6VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04AWDV6VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
sschumann
sschumann is on a distinguished road

Never had any doubt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sschumann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sschumann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 12:22 PM   #3
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Awesome news, thanks for the link!

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

Thumbs Up

Hurrah!

Thanks for the updates!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
vue0404
vue0404 is on a distinguished road

This statement from the article really bothers me.

"GM had planned to make a running change to the VUE to improve the suspension, but the rollover test prompted the recall."

Does this mean GM new there was a problem with the Vue's suspension long ago and didn't do anything about it until NHTSA exposed the flaw? Maybe the actuaries at GM did their usual profit/loss calculations and decided the chances of one of us Vue owners being seriously injured was worth taking the risk on not fixing the 250,000 Vue's already sold. Aftrer all, it is more cost effective to pay out a few multi million dollar claims rather than fix 250,000 vehicles.

As far as doubters go, I prefer to think of myself as cautious. I don't trust Saturn, or any car company. The automoile industry has proven many times in the past that it's heartless and greedy and holds the shareholders interest above the safety of its customers.

You may think Saturn did us a great service by doing this customer satisfaction recall but I believe it was a preemptive move because it new that sooner rather than later a forced government recall would be issued.

Of course the Vue would pass the test after it was "fixed". What would be the point of GM spending many millions of dollars on a massive recall? How embarassing would that be if the Vue failed even after the fix was implemented.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vue0404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vue0404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 01:07 PM   #6
WeeeZer14
Advanced Member
WeeeZer14 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Sounds like GM planned to phase in a new suspension into the VUE as they were built -- not recalling previous ones and retrofitting. At least that is what a "running change" sounds like to me.

And why? They probably did the cost analysis and it is cheaper to make the part for the Equinox specs and use it there and on the VUE instead of producing and stocking two slightly different parts if the cost difference between them is minor enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WeeeZer14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WeeeZer14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 01:42 PM   #7
revue
Advanced Member
revue is on a distinguished road

That's great news for the Vue but it brings up another question.
Is the Equinox suspension strong enough for the Equinox? It's
longer and heavier than the Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to revue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help revue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 02:34 PM   #8
jmatero
Advanced Member
jmatero is on a distinguished road

I'll tell you what this means.....

This means that if the Government had never tested the VUE, GM would have left all 200,000+ vehicles with the inferior components..... and owners no recourse if they were injured or killed do to the weak rear-end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmatero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmatero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 02:38 PM   #9
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by jmatero

This means that if the Government had never tested the VUE, GM would have left all 200,000+ vehicles with the inferior components..... and owners no recourse if they were injured or killed do to the weak rear-end.
Give me a break! 230,000+ on the road and 1 complaint. You are beginning to sound like a broken record in regards to complaints about your vehicle... are you really that unhappy with it?
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 03:31 PM   #10
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by jmatero

GM had no idea the components were inferior, since before the test there were NO reports of it failing. GM probably knew it was weak, but didn't think it was too weak to actually fail.

You can't think in the mindset of a part being simply pass/fail. In engineering you have to determine what is good enough, or what could be improved. There are times something runs good enough, but we improve it anyway as a continuous quality control measure.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 03:31 PM   #11
just_vue_it
just_vue_it is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
1998 SL2

The “running change” could mean anything cost, better ride, refinement, safety, etc. I don’t think there’s ever a car that had no changes made to it in the subsequent model years.

But it’s great news that the new components held up and even better news that the Vue didn't go tipsy.

'03 Vue 103,000 miles and counting...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to just_vue_it's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help just_vue_it reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 04:52 PM   #12
Mikehdtv
Mikehdtv is on a distinguished road

[
Quote:
GM had no idea the components were inferior, since before the test there were NO reports of it failing. GM probably knew it was weak, but didn't think it was too weak to actually fail.
Talk about doublespeak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mikehdtv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mikehdtv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 04:53 PM   #13
Ghostrider
Advanced Member
Ghostrider is on a distinguished road

Manufacturers are always making 'running changes' during the life of a model. Sometimes they are announced as improvements, and sometimes they are just changes to cut costs or simplify production. With the Eek and the Vue both using similar suspensions, it doesn't make sense to continue production of different parts just for the sake of diversity. Since the Eek is a newer, second revision of the Vue, there are probably many parts that have been examined and revamped. Many of those parts are probably finding their way onto the 05 Vue without any fanfare.

I don't think that GM has any obligation to go back and upgrade older models every time they have an improved part. In this case, the part was NOT defective until a new test revealed a flaw of some type. GM's testing hadn't revealed it, and prior Govt testing didn't reveal it.

After a company has knowledge of a defect, they have an obligation to fix it. GM/Saturn probably tested a Vue with the new suspension, and since it passed the test decided to use the production parts as a fix. I don't see any cover-up or other hanky-panky here, just a good, quick engineering solution.

<This doesn't mean I trust GM any further than I can throw them. >

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ghostrider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ghostrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 11:29 PM   #14
DFW_VUE
DFW_VUE is on a distinguished road

Anyone know yet what specifically is going to be replaced in the recall...I am like others here..I dont want them messing with mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DFW_VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DFW_VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2004, 05:23 PM   #15
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

Will NHTSA and the news media be as fast to report that the vue passed the rollover test?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wlhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wlhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:06 PM   #16
King
King is on a distinguished road

The Equinox suspension is plenty strong since it has already been fitted with the very parts that are now being added to the VUE. The Equinox already has the pieces due to the fact that it is slightly longer and heavier. When you bring your VUE in, they will replace certain rear suspension components in order to guarantee its safety. Remember, the VUE never failed the rollover test. Testing was simply stopped due to the suspension problem. At no point did the VUE ever actually roll.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2004, 09:28 PM   #17
04AWDV6VUE
04AWDV6VUE is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally posted by wlhawk
Will NHTSA and the news media be as fast to report that the vue passed the rollover test?
Thats funny.

I doubt the media will report this. They want the public to be under the false notion that SUVs are unsafe. So by reporting that the VUE passed the rollover test, would go against their propaganda.

Just my 2 Cents.

'04 AWD V6 VUE (current)
'00 SC2 (former)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04AWDV6VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04AWDV6VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread