SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Replacement Tires for V6 Vue...

Well Foto and I were talking tires. It is dismal for us V6 owners with the crappy Duelers! I am looking on Discount Tire first... Here are my results... (Discount does not carry Duelers)

Factory Sizes:
215/70-16
Uniroyal Tiger Paw Tour SR4 ($70 each) - Passenger Car Tire
Continental ContiTrac SUV ($91 each) - Only "real" SUV tire option
Michelin LTX M/S SL ($131 each) - Mud & Snow=Road Noise (Not for Texas)

235/65-15
No Tires available

Now on Tirerack.com they do not have a very good selection at all! Anyone else got any ideas? What is everyone else using?

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04SilverVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2004, 06:37 PM   #2
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Hey I found this for those of you that aren't worried about going off road at all. I don't know if these will do for me because I wants something I don't have to worry about on and off road...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04SilverVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2004, 06:49 PM   #3
mhzinky
mhzinky is on a distinguished road

I tried the continental sporteva SUV on my 02 VUE (235R70) 24 hours later I could not wait to get rid of them

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mhzinky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mhzinky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2004, 07:58 PM   #4
02VUE93SL
02VUE93SL is on a distinguished road

Why did you want to get rid of them? This tire or the size?

I am looking at a size change because the 235/65 are rare. Looking at 225/70 in a LT.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02VUE93SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02VUE93SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2004, 08:10 PM   #5
Blue Goose
Blue Goose is on a distinguished road

I'm dumb..are the 235/60 16 bigger than the stock 215/70 16's?

In other works less wheel gap?

2011 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blue Goose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blue Goose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2004, 08:15 PM   #6
02VUE93SL
02VUE93SL is on a distinguished road

There is a good calc took at 1010tires.com

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

VUE's came stock with 235/65r16 like me or 215/70r16 like a few others. I wan't to get a bigger tire lift wise by yoiu can't push it too much.

About 3% is the max to push it. That tire calc tool will size it up for you. Got 32k on mine now, love to get new tread but the SL2 is in worse shape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02VUE93SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02VUE93SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2004, 08:36 PM   #7
fotovue
fotovue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Red Line

I'm not sure what i'll get next go round...

I was thinking Toyo, yokohama, or Michelins...

I really like what i've heard about the new style toyo proxies toyo made for sport ute's... but i'm not a whiz when it comes to the numbers. I don't know what's available to me...

I want to keep the higher speed rated tires because I do push up on 100 (and beyond ), I want some good racing tires, but at the same time I want some tires that will make it several thousand before needing a change... so maybe I need two sets of tires...

any ideas for a redline owner with redline rims?

2004 RL VUE AWD Black *R.I.P. 07/01/06* 65k
The 1st sold, 49th built

2007 RL VUE FWD Black *Born 01/26/07* 100k
mods: 4 wheel disc brakes, window tint, spoiler, blues and twos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fotovue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fotovue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2004, 09:15 PM   #8
Todd911
Todd911 is on a distinguished road

225/70/16 might work.

Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires are available in that size and they are great tires. Had them on my Pathfinder - transformed the truck.

Todd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Todd911's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Todd911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2004, 09:26 PM   #9
fotovue
fotovue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Red Line

the pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico's that tire rack recommends for me sounds nice...

Tirerack doesn't seem to have any yokohamas for me, and doesn't seem to carry toyo...

Also, I noticed that one of their local installers near me is called "Honda Haven" and only works on hondas... Gee, sounds biased... I wonder what they'd say if I showed up looking for service... I wonder if they already know, or if I would blow them away when I show them my engine...

I wonder if they can do ECU upgrades?

2004 RL VUE AWD Black *R.I.P. 07/01/06* 65k
The 1st sold, 49th built

2007 RL VUE FWD Black *Born 01/26/07* 100k
mods: 4 wheel disc brakes, window tint, spoiler, blues and twos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fotovue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fotovue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2004, 11:35 PM   #10
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

I just put on a set of 215/70HR16 Michelin Pilot LTX tires last week. These are by far the best addition I have made to my VUE. They still can break loose on a hard dry acceleration, and still get rubber in 2nd easily (400 treadwear = hard hard tire), but they bite tenaciously in the rain, and hang on in turns far past the seat's ability to hold me in. They are $118 a piece on tirerack.com and come only in black sidewalls, but OMG they are so worth it. Did I mention they look damn sexy, too?
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 04:04 AM   #11
BradJK
BradJK is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
2001 SL2

I would like these Bridgestone Revo's but the size is not available

Good by SL2, Hello???
Just waiting on the 5 door Astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BradJK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BradJK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 05:54 AM   #12
sschumann
sschumann is on a distinguished road

I've got Continentals on my 2003 Expedition and they are the worst. My Firestone on my Explorer were better. I always replace my tires with Michelins. Ride and handling in all weather conditions has always been excellent. The 80K tire warranty is nice too. Sam's Club and BJ's are the best for the tires. I've had a nail in the sidewall of the tires and they replaced both tires. Free rotations and flat fixes are an added bonus. When the time comes to replace my Vue tires it's definately Michelins for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sschumann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sschumann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 07:23 AM   #13
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

I took a 90 degree turn into our parking lot this morning at 30 MPH. The only peep to be heard was everything in my VUE either falling over or being thrown into the passenger side of the vehicle. My poor laptop ended up wedged between the rear seat cushion and the door... I am thinking these tires are either going to get me killed, or be INSANELY fun.
~D.J.~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:10 AM   #14
Swishguy
Swishguy is on a distinguished road

Stay away from Continentals. I had em on my Tributes. They perform & wear a long time but the road noise is absolutely horrific!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swishguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swishguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:16 AM   #15
revue
Advanced Member
revue is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Replacement Tires for V6 Vue...

Quote:
Originally posted by 04SilverVue
Well Foto and I were talking tires. It is dismal for us V6 owners with the crappy Duelers! I am looking on Discount Tire first... Here are my results... (Discount does not carry Duelers)

Factory Sizes:
215/70-16
Uniroyal Tiger Paw Tour SR4 ($70 each) - Passenger Car Tire
Continental ContiTrac SUV ($91 each) - Only "real" SUV tire option
Michelin LTX M/S SL ($131 each) - Mud & Snow=Road Noise (Not for Texas)

235/65-15
No Tires available

Now on Tirerack.com they do not have a very good selection at all! Anyone else got any ideas? What is everyone else using?
I have the 17inch Duelers on my 04 V6 AWD and am quite happy with them after 1500 miles. What don't you like about yours?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to revue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help revue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:51 AM   #16
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

If I needed tires, I'd opt for these Yokohamas

There are alot of tires out there for 235 65 17.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:54 AM   #17
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Re: Replacement Tires for V6 Vue...

Quote:
Originally posted by revue
I have the 17inch Duelers on my 04 V6 AWD and am quite happy with them after 1500 miles. What don't you like about yours?
The deulers are one of the worst rated tires on the road. They wear quickly, and when they get worn, they have no wet traction whatsoever. Proof? I saw this coming about 3 seconds before it happened.. I was going 30 in a 35 and hydroplaned into a Ford Escape that had also hydroplaned. When we pulled my 39,800 mile old Deulers off of my VUE last week, the tread was seperating on the right front tire (I'm not going to blame this totally on the tire as I was brutal to them at Homecoming) but still - it should be bald and be able to hold together.
If you like your VUE, and want to increase your safety twofold, replace those things with a better tire once they start wearing.
~D.J.~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2004, 09:36 AM   #18
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Re: Re: Replacement Tires for V6 Vue...

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioVueBoy
The deulers are one of the worst rated tires on the road. They wear quickly, and when they get worn, they have no wet traction whatsoever. Proof? I saw this coming about 3 seconds before it happened.. I was going 30 in a 35 and hydroplaned into a Ford Escape that had also hydroplaned. When we pulled my 39,800 mile old Deulers off of my VUE last week, the tread was seperating on the right front tire (I'm not going to blame this totally on the tire as I was brutal to them at Homecoming) but still - it should be bald and be able to hold together.
If you like your VUE, and want to increase your safety twofold, replace those things with a better tire once they start wearing.
~D.J.~
Sounds like this would be a better recall than the suspension...

I'm generally skeptical of OE tires, as they're usually engineered to a price point

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:15 AM   #19
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally posted by sspeer
If I needed tires, I'd opt for these Yokohamas

There are alot of tires out there for 235 65 17.
I like the look of those, and the tread pattern, for a non-RL Vue. I had Yoko's on my p/u with an INSANELY high teadwear rating of like 550 or something. I was BRUTAL on them for YEARS and they still have half the tread or better left on them. They did pretty well in the dry, but the super-hard compound left something to be desired in the wet.

Evaluate your common driving conditions (snow, lot of rain, muddin' & off-roading) and consider things like road noise, tire wear, etc. and find whatever has the best balance of features for your needs. Tires, like most other things, are a compromise of price, traction, wear, and noise.

Best of luck, all.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:18 AM   #20
mhzinky
mhzinky is on a distinguished road

I wanted to get rid of them (the sportivia) ASAP because:
They did not adhere to the pavement wet or dry.
It rained that afternoon and nearly lost control going around the corner into our subdevelopment (maybe 20 mph)
the response was horrible...turning and wheel feel was mush.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mhzinky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mhzinky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread