SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
Diago
Diago is on a distinguished road

Default Fuel efficient Saturn

Does anyone know if Saturn has plans for a high mileage (40 MPG+) model or do I have to go and buy a Honda Civic?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diago's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diago reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2004, 03:04 PM   #2
dieseljack
Advanced Member
dieseljack is on a distinguished road

My '95 SW-1 is good for 41 mpg with 342,000 on the clock. High mileage, and it still gets high mileage!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dieseljack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dieseljack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004, 03:39 PM   #3
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I can get 40 in my SC2 and my former SL2.

I get 34 on my mostly highway commute.

Just keep aware that you may have to spend more for a more economical vehicle, but you may not realize any savings on fuel cost vs. vehicle cost. The hybrid Civic gets better gas mileage, but cost $2,000 more. You have have to drive the car at least 150,000 miles before you actually start saving money.

The ION and Civic's MPG are not all that different. You may get an ION for a couple of thousand less than a Civic, so THERE'S the money saver. It would take years to get that money back in gas savings.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Diago
Diago is on a distinguished road

My 97 SW2 is starting to die (310,000) and I want to replace it with another Saturn. The only thing is that they just don't have a high MPG car anymore. The difference between 35 MPG and 40 MPG is significant whan you travel 50,000 miles per year as I do. That is the reason I have posed the question. If I knew they were coming out with a good replacement for the S series, I would milk my old car for a while longer. Buying used is not an option for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diago's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diago reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004, 05:17 PM   #5
vue0404
vue0404 is on a distinguished road

My biggest disappointment with the ION when it was announced as the SL replacement was the gas mileage. I was getting 43-45 mpg on the highway at 65mph with my 5spd SL1. I might have gone for an ION if it got better mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vue0404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vue0404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004, 07:53 PM   #6
Mattytee
Mattytee is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Dude, if you want to go buy a Honda you're free to do so...but I think the Ion does pretty well. And I think it get's better as it ages.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mattytee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mattytee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:35 PM   #7
jeep4523
jeep4523 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1994 SL2

My SL2 now gets 33 mpg city driving with a 5 speed. This is with the catch can and 2 tank fulls getting roughly the same average.

Before it was 28-30

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting that decision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeep4523's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeep4523 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:48 PM   #8
ENTP
ENTP is on a distinguished road

Location: Sometimes in my '06 Colorado sometimes in my '10 Cobalt XFE

For me and probably allot of Americans buying American is one of several important factors when plunking down all that money for a car.

With what's going on in the middle east, with the millions of additional consumers of oil products in places like India and China and with an ever degrading environment, fuel economy is taking on increasing importance in my car buying equation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ENTP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ENTP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:21 PM   #9
silverblueL200
Advanced Member
silverblueL200 is on a distinguished road

I've only hit 30 once in with a ecotec powered Saturn.

- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:37 PM   #10
pd1601
pd1601 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SL1

Buy a used S-series :-)
As far as the cells go on hybrid vehicles, you'd do well to research into their longevity and replacement cost. You might be surprised at what you find out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pd1601's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pd1601 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:51 PM   #11
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Diago, your question is my concern. When I purchase my Saturn, I wanted to get the most fuel efficient car I could afford. I was mislead and told I would get 28 city and 38 highway. I am getting just about 25 city and 35 highway. That is the EPA rating. Disappointed to see those figures drop with the ION. Seems like the gap keeps on getting larger. I wrote my concerns to Saturn; my response was they were coming up with a hybrid Vue that is not a full hybrid. If I were in your shoes, I would get a Civic or Corolla. Love Saturn, but seems they are not addressing the need some of us have for increased fuel efficiency. Because my fuel efficiency is less than I was told, I have to drive less. Not able to afford the gas.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2004, 07:48 AM   #12
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

find a 2002 SL or SL1 manual. those are good for 29 mpg city, 40 mpg highway. or a 2002 SC1 manual with 28 mpg city, 40 mpg highway.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:05 AM   #13
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by Diago
...The difference between 35 MPG and 40 MPG is significant whan you travel 50,000 miles per year as I do. That is the reason I have posed the question.
35 to 40 MPG will save you about $350 a year. You just have to run the numbers to determine an acceptable payoff period for the gas savings. Paying $2,000 more for a car to get better mileage will take 5-6 years to realize any savings. That's still not enough payoff in my opinion to get a hybrid, but it may be worth it to look at other models for better mileage. If you can get a Civic, for instance, at a price near an ION, then that is an even better deal.

There are so many other variables that you can't predict. An ION may cost less but require more in repair costs, or vis versa. YOu may get a Civic for the mileage but lose that cost advantage if it turns out to be a lemon. The car may get totalled before you have it long enough to get a payoff from gas savings.

If it were me, I would chose the car with 30+ MPG that can be had for a reasonable price. More importantly, I would get the car that I actually like the most. If you like the Honda better and it's not that much more expensive than a Saturn or Hyundai or whatever, then go for it.

2008 BMW 328i

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:13 AM   #14
saturnguy0077
saturnguy0077 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

One thing to remember when you are looking at high milage vehicle is where you drive the vehicle and how much of a load is in it most of the time. Please remember that in the hilly north east and some other parts of our great nation the small fuel sipping cars do not do near as well as there stickers claim because there working to hard to climb the hills. This same thing holds true to them amount of weight you may have in the vehicle. Please be sure to keep this in mind when you are looking at vehicle. I hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnguy0077's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnguy0077 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:26 AM   #15
HV Fam Wagon
HV Fam Wagon is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Your 40 mpg is hard to beat. More power to you.

Quote:
Originally posted by spencerb
I can get 40 in my SC2 and my former SL2.

I get 34 on my mostly highway commute.

Just keep aware that you may have to spend more for a more economical vehicle, but you may not realize any savings on fuel cost vs. vehicle cost. The hybrid Civic gets better gas mileage, but cost $2,000 more. You have have to drive the car at least 150,000 miles before you actually start saving money.
With gas prices around $2 per gallon, I think you mean 40,000 miles is the break even point.
40,000 miles = $2000 / $2 per gallon * 40 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HV Fam Wagon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HV Fam Wagon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:39 AM   #16
Weird1
Weird1 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

You may want to look at a VW TDI. A friend of mine has a Jetta TDI and gets 52 mpg on the highway, 48 city.

There are conversion kits available that will let you burn used french fry grease if you want! LOL. Diesel engines will burn just about anything.

Have fun with whatever you choose. Good luck!

-W1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weird1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weird1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:55 AM   #17
mikhail
mikhail is on a distinguished road

I had a '99 VW Beetle TDI and got 50 mpg highway. But I racked up $1,600 in maintenance and repair cost in the first 40,000 miles. Needless to say, that car is history.

My advice is to run away from any VW TDI as fast as you can unless you do ALL your own maintenance and repairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikhail's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikhail reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:19 AM   #18
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by HV Fam Wagon
...With gas prices around $2 per gallon, I think you mean 40,000 miles is the break even point.
40,000 miles = $2000 / $2 per gallon * 40 mpg
I'm not understanding your calculations. To get the break even point you have to take into account the difference in MPG of two vehicles. In that post I was saying that I've gotten up to 40 in my SC2, but usually average 34.

To figure the break even point (there are several ways to do this):

Miles driven per year divided by MPG of lesser efficient vehicle
Subtract (the miles driven per year divided by MPG of more efficient vehicle).

That is your gallons saved per year. Multiply by $2 or whatever and that's the dollar savings per year. Divide that into the extra cost for the more efficient car, and that will give you the years to break even.

Example:

Car X: 50,000 miles driven / 40MPG = 1,250 gallons used a year
Car Y: 50,000 miles driven / 35 MPG = 1,430 gallons used a year
That's 180 more gallons a year, or $360 a year more for gas
If Car X cost $2,000 more, then that's about $2,000 / $360 = 5.6 years to break even.

In the example of the Civic Hybrid, that was an actual road test. Two Civics, one regular and one hybrid, were driven in caravan cross country in varying road conditions. The ACTUAL MPG was computed on both in real world driving, and the break even mileage was 150,000. Add one moderately priced repair to the hybrid system and the hybrid will never save you money over its life.

2008 BMW 328i

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2004, 11:11 AM   #19
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

The sohc s-series will exceed 40 mpg. The dohc s-series is very close to 40 mpg. The 6 cyl vue gets mid-high 20s.
Driving habits will influence these numbers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wlhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wlhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:49 AM   #20
delivery man
Advanced Member
delivery man is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I drive 100K plus miles per year and I seriously considered getting one of the hybrid cars and also a VW TDI. I was real nervious about how much it would cost to repair the hybrid and the VW cost too much. Anyway, I went with the Ion even though the mileage rating wasn't as high.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to delivery man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help delivery man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread