SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default seatback recliner recall/special policy

Received the letter quite some time ago, and put off a visit to Saturn of Anaheim until now, before the special policy expires Dec 2004. At first, they looked up my car, said no campaigns exist, and wanted to send me on my way. Then they said the notice was sent to all owners but affected only coupes, not sedans.

I called Saturn from the lounge area to ask why I received the notice, which had my VIN number on it. Saturn had a hard time getting through to the service manager, and I said I'd wait rather than go home to an answering machine message and drive back. Saturn talked to him then told me to go speak to him, and I thought everything was a go.

Even though I told them my seat sometimes ratchets back a notch when pressure is applied, the service manager Steve Bassett and tech Victor went out and played with both seatback recliner mechanisms, and said they were OK, so they "could not" fix them. Said they're on my side, as they get paid for doing the work, but nothing was wrong.

My questions:

Why did my car not show up on their computer as part of the special policy, when my VIN number is in the range? Do they only list NHTSA recalls and not special policies?

What experiences have others here had? Does the recliner actually have to be brought in with a total failure before they replace them, or have other dealers gone ahead, no questions asked?

I'm thinking of trying other dealers, but they're all part of the same automotive group, so may have specific directions. I cannot understand why they would want to blow this off, if they get reimbursed through Saturn for the fix.

My concern is that since the notice, I have not put on many miles and that the part will fail after the expiration date. Any experiences or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2004, 09:53 PM   #2
Lucas1
Advanced Member
Lucas1 is on a distinguished road

usually with the seat recliners when the car comes in the campaign will show up on the service order, regardless of what its for. as far as i know the seat recliner recall is a campaign, not a special policy thing. with a campaign, we repair the problem regardless of whether the symptoms are there or not. with a special policy, like '97 fuel pumps, there is no recall, only an extended warranty if the complaint is duplicated.

it should be no problem for them to replace them, we dont see them very much anymore, but they have always been a campaign as far as i know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lucas1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lucas1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread