SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 09:15 AM   #21
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

At ~$11 a GALLON, there is hardly anything that is "cheaper" than MMO.

It is a very good detergent.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2004, 02:53 PM   #22
Bigsmoker
Bigsmoker is on a distinguished road

Here is my Nickels worth, In my 94 sl1 I used slick 50 and restore and although neither of those are currently being used the car has 140,000 and uses basically no oil . In my 2000 SC2 I currently use 5/30 QS dino. at 93,000 it uses about 1/2 qt between 3000 mile changes. Consumption was 1 to 1 1/2 qts in 4500 miles with Mobil 1 so I went back to dino. I have never used any additives in this engine Additives are an unknown to say the least. I have never tore down an engine using these additives but then again it has never been neccesary. I also have never had to rebuild an engine with freqeunt plain old dino changes. IMO if you use any of the additives available I dont belive that means an engine failure is waiting to happen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigsmoker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigsmoker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2004, 11:49 PM   #23
93BLKTWINCAM
93BLKTWINCAM is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
2004 ION Red Line

I tried restore in a V-8 Ford engine with over 200k miles, and believe it or not...it worked for what ailed the engine (which was lack of power, overheating, low oil pressure after warm-up, oil consumption, etc...basicly a tired engine....
I intended to use the "money back guarantee" where I knew I couldn't lose, but since it worked, I threw the receipt away...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93BLKTWINCAM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93BLKTWINCAM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2005, 06:07 AM   #24
Bigsmoker
Bigsmoker is on a distinguished road

Default Re: The FINAL word about oil additives (I hope)

my final 2cents... I currently drive a 2000SC2 and at 115,000 miles I have never used any additives. no problems to speak of. My wife inherited my 94 SL1 and at 150,000 miles plus still no problems. I used both slick 50 and engine restore in this motor at one time or another. prior I had a 92 K1500 silverado 5.7 liter which got slick 50 every 40,000 or so. I traded it in with 107,000 miles and no ill effects. All considered I really cant say I saw any improvement with these products which is why I no longer use them but also I certainly experienced no problems and would not be concerned if I had used them and then read all "possible problems" which are posted here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigsmoker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigsmoker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2005, 01:18 PM   #25
LV Hospice RN
LV Hospice RN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino
You didn't include Auto-RX, an expensive substance with religious application instructions and mostly positive reviews on BITOG.

It's supposed to gently clean all that ails your motor over a period of 1500 miles without upsetting anything.
and if you believe some of the members posts, it cures not only oil burning, but diarrhea, acid reflux and impotency!!!

While some members swear by it, to me, the jury is still out...

1. none of the evaluations i have seen have been objective...mostly just people saying, i used it, engine much cleaner, runs smoother, and gas miliage improved 2.342%!

2. i would love to see before and after compression numbers...no one has done this...just a statement that the "oil rings" have been cleaned...again, with no proof...

3. "They" say its cleans the engine. Yet no one took before and after pics of inside of valve covers and valve train...this is relatively easy to do, yet no pics to "prove" auto RX works...

I personally thinks Auto RX does what its supposed to do...take money from your pocket and put it in the company till that sells it...

Just IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

"Where are we going...and what am i doing in this handbasket?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LV Hospice RN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LV Hospice RN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #26
Jeff P
Jeff P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV Hospice RN
2. i would love to see before and after compression numbers...no one has done this...just a statement that the "oil rings" have been cleaned...again, with no proof...

3. "They" say its cleans the engine. Yet no one took before and after pics of inside of valve covers and valve train...this is relatively easy to do, yet no pics to "prove" auto RX works...
I'm not an Auto-RX Kool-Aide drinker, but you are quite incorrect about the lack of "evidence" for the product. Check this link out for the results of a very thorough test of the product. The first post includes both before and after compression #s and pictures.
This link has a guy who measured compression before and after.
Here's one where a Saturn owner reports that it stopped a rear main seal leak.

That wacky site is full of what you could call anecdotal evidence for the stuff - people who swear their car runs smoother/better/better mpg/reduced emmissions/etc. Of course most of them don't bother to do compression tests or take pictures of the valvetrain. There are also quite a few very knowledgeable folks, like actual engineers who do nothing but design oil, who vouch for the stuff.

It certainly doesn't cure impotency or diarrhea, but I think it's safe to say it probably does clean out an engine pretty well

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeff P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeff P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2005, 11:17 PM   #27
LV Hospice RN
LV Hospice RN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P
I'm not an Auto-RX Kool-Aide drinker, but you are quite incorrect about the lack of "evidence" for the product. Check this link out for the results of a very thorough test of the product. The first post includes both before and after compression #s and pictures.
This link has a guy who measured compression before and after.
Here's one where a Saturn owner reports that it stopped a rear main seal leak.

That wacky site is full of what you could call anecdotal evidence for the stuff - people who swear their car runs smoother/better/better mpg/reduced emmissions/etc. Of course most of them don't bother to do compression tests or take pictures of the valvetrain. There are also quite a few very knowledgeable folks, like actual engineers who do nothing but design oil, who vouch for the stuff.

It certainly doesn't cure impotency or diarrhea, but I think it's safe to say it probably does clean out an engine pretty well

jeff
The one that posted compression figures say it went from 460-480 to 480-500...but doesnt mention was the numbers taken under the same condition, i.e. engine hot or cold, etc...any variable could cause a small change...

The other claims it "cleans the engine" and "removed" the varnish...but again, just word of mouth...no pictures...just, "it performed miracles for me"...

It seems with hundreds of use, SOMEONE would have documented the changes...did the UOA...if it truly worked the Company that makes its would pay an independent lab to do the tests..none of that is present...

Remember, Slick 50, STP, and a host of other "lubricates" have/had a huge following...but there is little evidence it works...Keep the snake oil in vehicles owned by snakes!!!

Just IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

"Where are we going...and what am i doing in this handbasket?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LV Hospice RN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LV Hospice RN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:22 PM   #28
callmethewander
callmethewander is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
1994 SC2

OK OK, Information overload! please some advice. My '94 SC2 with 55,000 miles "consumes" (as porsche people like to put it, haha) about a qt. of mobil1, which i just switched to at 50,000 mis, every 500-600 miles. Should i; switch back to dino, do some kind of treatment, wait and see if it improves with the mobil1, rebuild (i hope not to), or any other suggestions. This is my 3rd saturn, i just donated my first one with over 200,000 mis, '92 SL1, and my daughter is driving the '95 SL1, but i like the SC2 the most and would like to enjoy it for a long time, but a qt. of mobil1 every 500 mis gets expensive (i know it's a lot cheaper than some other options!) so any input would be appreciated.

thank you all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to callmethewander's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help callmethewander reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:25 PM   #29
callmethewander
callmethewander is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
1994 SC2

oh, and check out my pix, she's a looker, i think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to callmethewander's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help callmethewander reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2005, 11:20 PM   #30
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

"That's the absolute bottom line"

In yout not-so-humble opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread