SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 09:44 AM   #1
Druce
Druce is on a distinguished road

Default Spare Tire

Well, i have had my vue for 2 weeks now and i got my first spare tire... this not by fault of the tire but my own. When we switched the tire we couldn't get the full size into the place of the spare. Has anyone replaced the donut for a larger/ full size tire?? every other vehicle my family owns has a full size spare in the trunk. Maybe they do fit??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Druce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Druce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2004, 10:00 AM   #2
monantony
monantony is on a distinguished road

I assume you mean you got a flat?
And when you went to put the full sized (now flat) tire under the floor in back it wouldnt fit into the hole? I dont understand then, what you mean by replacing the donut with a full size spare if the full size tire doesnt fit.
By other family members cars, do you mean any kind of car, or are they all VUE's?
Few cars these days come with a full size spare....
??
Tony

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to monantony's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help monantony reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2004, 10:14 AM   #3
Druce
Druce is on a distinguished road

oops... yes i mean flat... blonde moment

alright... my parents camry etc... we have always put a full size tire on a black rim in the place of the donut that came with the car... on the vue it seems as though the rim will not fit because the spot for it is not deep enough.. it may be because of the grocery getter but I am not sure.. I was just wondering if anyone had replaced the donut.. i hope this makes more sense....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Druce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Druce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2004, 11:13 AM   #4
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

At it states in the owner's manual (a good read if you haven't done so already) There is an "S" shaped rod which is meant to secure the flat tire near the vehicle jack and tools. It specifically states that the regular tire/wheel will *not* fit in the well.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #5
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

The spare tire is a regular diameter tire so can be called a full sized spare but it is not the same width. The stock tires are much wider and that is why it will not fit.

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04SilverVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2004, 04:24 PM   #6
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

what I would do is get a spare tire carrier for my hitch (assuming you have the hitch, if not then you should think about getting one : ) it even swings away so you can open the door without removing it. look here E-trailer

Mine: 16K
~~2008 Smart For-Two Passion Coupe
~~Doug Thorley Exhaust
~~K&N Intake
Wife's: 25K
~~2004 FWD, Vti, 2.2L, de-bonged
~~2" Lift
~~P215/70R16's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SylenThunder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SylenThunder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2004, 05:23 PM   #7
Ghostrider
Advanced Member
Ghostrider is on a distinguished road

In the extremely competitive small SUV market carrying around a full size spare doesn't make sense. You have to make room for it, carry the extra weight, and pay for a full size tire that you'll rarely use. A full size tire for a SUV is larger than a car's tire. Can you imagine how big the Camry's trunk would be after putting in a 245/50-18 rim and tire in it? With the temp spare we have a lower load floor, slightly better gas mileage, and don't have to pay for something that we very rarely use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ghostrider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ghostrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2004, 05:29 PM   #8
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghostrider
In the extremely competitive small SUV market carrying around a full size spare doesn't make sense. You have to make room for it, carry the extra weight, and pay for a full size tire that you'll rarely use. A full size tire for a SUV is larger than a car's tire. Can you imagine how big the Camry's trunk would be after putting in a 245/50-18 rim and tire in it? With the temp spare we have a lower load floor, slightly better gas mileage, and don't have to pay for something that we very rarely use.
Damn what kind of Camry comes with an 18 inch rim stock? Just kidding LOL

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04SilverVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2004, 05:48 PM   #9
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

actually had a full sise spare in the truck of my L-Series when I was running 17's just fit too : )

Mine: 16K
~~2008 Smart For-Two Passion Coupe
~~Doug Thorley Exhaust
~~K&N Intake
Wife's: 25K
~~2004 FWD, Vti, 2.2L, de-bonged
~~2" Lift
~~P215/70R16's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SylenThunder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SylenThunder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2004, 09:15 PM   #10
KoolVue
Advanced Member
KoolVue is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2002 VUE 3.0L

I bought a brand new take off rim off ebay which turned out to be a local saturn dealer for 25.00. I then went to a local tire shop and had a used tire mounted and balance for 10.00. I have the full sized tire laying in the cargo area of the VUE. I am a very busy person and don't have time to get a tire fix immediatelyafter having a flat. I average around 800 miles or more a week before I get a day off to go to a tire shop for a repair. Therefore having a full size spare gives me a peace of mind.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KoolVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KoolVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2004, 09:45 PM   #11
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

For some ppl, like KoolVue, having a full size spare is a good idea. However, others have completely removed their spare and have filled the space with amps/subs/etc... For most of us, the nearly full size spare is good enough to get us where we are going and then get the regular tire fixed. I didn't think my RL whell and tire would fit in that well, now I know it won't and I won't even try... I'll just lay my tarp down on top of the cargo floor and leave it out instead of jacking around with the flat tire and getting pissed that it won't fit, if and when I ever do need the spare.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread