SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 08:21 PM   #1
ma1hman
ma1hman is on a distinguished road

Default bubbles on trans fluid dipstick?

I posted an earlier thred regarding my 2000 saturn SL1 (38k miles). The last few times I have checked the trans fluid, I noticed little bubbles on the dipstick and the color is not as red as it should be.

I was wondering if this is a sign that the trans fluid needs to be changed. I thought that trans fluid goes for 100k miles.

My last thred was regarding the the hesitation and slightly rough riding I experience when driving at about 50mph and higher. The problem seems slightly intermittent. I also stalled out several times at very high speeds (65-70mph). Could these bubbles indicate a problem with the transmission? Is air getting into the system?

Let me know what you think

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ma1hman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ma1hman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2004, 10:21 PM   #2
Nowhere Man
Nowhere Man is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

Actually auto trans fluid is a tune up item. So every 30,000 miles with the spark plugs and stuff. If its not a light red anymore, then its time to change it. As in if it looks like blood.

Sorry I dont have any experience with rough running at high speeds...check the usual stuff. Air filter, clean egr, and change out pcv valve.

95' SW2
131,000 Miles
32-MPG avg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nowhere Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nowhere Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:05 PM   #3
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

assuming it is a auto, or is it a manual? it may be air or bad fluid. ever use lucas oil?

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2004, 02:36 AM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: bubbles on trans fluid dipstick?

Quote:
Originally posted by ma1hman
I posted an earlier thred regarding my 2000 saturn SL1 (38k miles). The last few times I have checked the trans fluid, I noticed little bubbles on the dipstick and the color is not as red as it should be.

I was wondering if this is a sign that the trans fluid needs to be changed. I thought that trans fluid goes for 100k miles.

My last thred was regarding the the hesitation and slightly rough riding I experience when driving at about 50mph and higher. The problem seems slightly intermittent. I also stalled out several times at very high speeds (65-70mph). Could these bubbles indicate a problem with the transmission? Is air getting into the system?

Let me know what you think
A little foam on the dipstick is quite normal and no sign of anything "bad"

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2004, 05:34 AM   #5
walt
walt is on a distinguished road

Make sure you fluid is not overfilled. I had this problem with my Cavlier and the bubbles were being caused by there being over a Qt. to much fluid . The fluid level was past the full mark on the stick. It had just came from a transmission shop after being serviced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2004, 06:49 AM   #6
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Auto trans fluid has a change interval of every 30,000 miles.

Doing so will improve transmission life.

One very easy job on Saturn "S" since pan need not come off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2004, 10:22 AM   #7
WHITE98SL2
Advanced Member
WHITE98SL2 is on a distinguished road

Use Mobil one synthetic ATF in the tranny, you won't regret it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WHITE98SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WHITE98SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread