SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 01:21 PM   #41
globasco
globasco is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes Re: Changing the ECTS Coolant Temp Sensor (with pictures)

Hey guys-- silly girl question.

Would a broken ECTS Sensor cause my fan to not turn and, in turn causing my poor lil saturn to overheat when idling/in slow traffic???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to globasco's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help globasco reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #42
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
Default Re: Changing the ECTS Coolant Temp Sensor (with pictures)

If the ECTS is not working properly, the fan will not turn on. Also, fans go bad. Also, it may be good to check for a blown fuse, at least that is what I would do. No fan will cause overheating problems at idle/in slow traffic. If you turn the AC on, the fan should turn on. If it is coming on with AC, the fan and the fuse are probably good. ECTS may be the culprit. That is my understanding. I am a silly Social Worker. The experts here can direct you better.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

Last edited by Tiger; 09-14-2005 at 01:51 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2005, 01:44 AM   #43
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

Thanks for all of the information, everyone. I changed the engine coolant temperature sensor myself with the jacking-up-the-driver-side procedure. I have a 1999 Saturn SL1 with slightly under 30,000 miles on it. The removed temperature sensor did not seem to have any cracks in it, but it is good preventive maintenance, as wolfman or someone else wrote.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2005, 01:51 AM   #44
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

I would also like to add that I found it hard to remove the air intake on my SL1 because of that narrow tube that branches off the middle of the main air intake. So what I did instead was remove the battery as someone else suggested.

If I had to do the procedure again, I would place a towel or rag under the ECTS to catch the half a cupful or so of coolant that leaks out as someone else photographed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread