SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 12:02 PM   #21
KPatrick
KPatrick is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Default Re: Changing the ECTS Coolant Temp Sensor (with pictures)

Just curious why the replacement in the first place, what were the symptoms? I suspect mine being bad, 94 SC2. It misfires until the engine warms up. No codes and replaced the O2 sensor and EGR valve last year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KPatrick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KPatrick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2005, 12:34 PM   #22
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Fm >> KPatrick <<

>Just curious why the replacement in the first place, what were the symptoms? <
Just do a search on ECTS and you'll come up with considerable & detailed information on it; for Saturn upgraded the unit, as the old ones were cracking, resulting in a mis-read being sent to the computer, with the engine running colder and using more fuel, due to the mis-read.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:16 PM   #23
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL

Hi all,

I read somewhere that after the sensor was changed that the PCM B fuse should be reset by pulling that out for about 15 seconds. Is that true? If so, that may be my problem! Thanks,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:22 PM   #24
auxmike
auxmike is on a distinguished road

Never heard this myself,but it could be true....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auxmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2005, 10:07 PM   #25
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike
Never heard this myself,but it could be true....
It's in wolfman's ECTS thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
You "should" reset the PCM after changing this (or ANY sensor) this does NOT require any special tools, just disconnect the NEG battery cable for about 15 secs.

Changing the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 01:33 AM   #26
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

you can disconnect the NEG cable, but i perfer pulling the PCM B fuse, its easyier and you don't lose your radio presets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #27
reemoe
reemoe is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

Please forgive, as it sounds like it's super simple, but where and how do I go about pulling the PCM B fuse?

Thank you!
Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to reemoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help reemoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 02:06 PM   #28
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Fm >> Ryan <<

>where and how do I go about pulling the PCM B fuse? <
After opening up your front hood, there should be a black rectangular fuse box, located in front of the battery, on the driver's side. The top of the box should be secured by a small circular screw. Simply loosen it, and lift up the top of the fuse box. On the underside/inside of the top, you'll see where each of the fuses sit.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 02:26 PM   #29
reemoe
reemoe is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

Thanks, Luke! So I just find it, take it out with my fingers, I'm guessing, and put it right back in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to reemoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help reemoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #30
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Yep; I leave it out for atleast a "minute". Just to insure that the memory is cleared

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Old 01-29-2005, 09:31 PM   #31
green
green is on a distinguished road

Auxmike:

In the photo with the ratchet it shows one end of the connector (black cap cover) going to the sensor, where's the other end going? My 95 SW1 temp gauge isn't working. The photo with the part in the bag is exactly (with 2 butt connectors) what I bought from Saturn but they give me instructions.
Could you give me instructions (photos?) on how to install the connector.
Thank You very much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to green's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help green reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2005, 10:21 PM   #32
auxmike

Green,
You crimp the wires to the original wires from the cars harness.You heat up the butt connector's ends to shrink/seal them.
Hope this helps some.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #33
green
green is on a distinguished road

I installed the single wire temp gauge sensor connector. Now the temp gauge is working again. But the engine light remains on and the horn doesn't work. This happened after taking my 95 vehicle from tranny shop. The auto parts store only checks vehicles 96 or newer. Do I have to buy a scan tool that will only work on a 95 or older Saturn or GM car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to green's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help green reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:13 PM   #34
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by green
The auto parts store only checks vehicles 96 or newer. Do I have to buy a scan tool that will only work on a 95 or older Saturn or GM car?
Lucky for you, NO. It's way easy with an OBD-1 ('95 and back) car. This how-to entry describes how to acquire the code with a paper clip, and even deciphers the codes.

That's why the store only does '96 and later; they're OBD-2, which require a scan tool.

BTW, since this is no longer really part of the "how to" for changing the ECTS, you might want to start a new thread in the regular "S-Series Tech" section.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #35
rixter
rixter is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
Thumbs Up Re: Changing the ECTS Coolant Temp Sensor (with pictures)

Wow is all that needs to be said about this post. Awesome. Thank you.

Does a bear p__p in the woods

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rixter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rixter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:21 AM   #36
kickarse
kickarse is on a distinguished road

Where;d you guys buy yours? How much did you spend?

02 Saturn L200 - 156k miles - Black on Black
- HIT! 96 Saturn SL2 - 172k miles - Fire Red
- SOLD 97 Saturn SL1 - 126k miles - Green/Brown Speckle

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kickarse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kickarse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2005, 05:33 PM   #37
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

I got mine at Saturnparts.com. Less then $10 for the ECTS, but $8.50 for shipping. So I bought a Transmission Filter to split the shipping charge and reduce overall cost.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:08 AM   #38
mainedvd
mainedvd is on a distinguished road

There is (was) a little cap that went over the electrical connector to my ECTS on my 97 SL2. I lost it, can't find it anywhere. Is this really necesary? It does cover the wires, but I have heard no mention of this cap anywhere. Would the dealership provide me with a new one, and for how much?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mainedvd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mainedvd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:01 AM   #39
jdhimie
jdhimie is on a distinguished road

The pictures and explinations are outstanding! Thanks a million times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jdhimie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jdhimie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2005, 07:24 AM   #40
auxmike

Thanks all.
I never thought this would be so popular.
It was fun documenting the job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread