SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 09:49 PM   #1
auxmike
auxmike is on a distinguished road

Wrench Changing the ECTS Coolant Temp Sensor (with pictures)

This is how I changed my coolant temp sensor in a 1995 SL2 Twin Cam with auto tranny and ABS.
I bought the sensor from a Saturn dealer,this way I got the special threadlocker on it already to install.I would not buy an aftermarket version of this part because of this.

DISCLAIMER!:I just took pictures of what I did one day.
I don't suggest you actually try this at home yourself.Hire a real mechanic.I am not responsible if you try this and get hurt or ruin your car doing this!

First I made sure the car is DEAD COLD!You can't do this with hot antifreeze,it will burn a guy badly!

BEWARE THE AIRBAG SENSORS!:
If I have an older Saturn I would notice two stickers on the black metal front frame.I don't bang stuff there!

Ice cold engine off , I opened the hood.
I unclip the 4 airbox clips by the radiator end of the intake.

I Squeezed together the two prongs of the spring clip that holds the intake to the throttle body.
It locked open to allow removal from the throttle body.That clip stays on,BTW.

I removed the breather hose from the valve cover.Then remove the plastic intake.

I Found the ECTS under the EGR valve.Some cars have two sensors,it's the lower back one I could not even see.I had to feel for the two "high" spots on the connector bell and squeez/pull to get it off.See below later on details how this is done.

Last edited by auxmike; 07-03-2004 at 09:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auxmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
auxmike

After I got the connector off,this is how it looked in the car.I could'n't see this so I stuffed the camera in there.

I used a 13mm deep socket to unscrew the old sensor,1/4 inch drive preferred.I didn't unscrew it all the way though!

I quick unscrewed the connector the rest of the way by hand,then had the other new sensor in hand ready to screw in.Coolant WILL come out of the hole,so the quicker I got that new one started ,the less a mess I had.Note the red stuff on the threads.That's the VERY important threadlocker that comes on the dealer part.

Tightened down the new sensor with the 13mm socket.Spec is 71 INCH pounds,that's not a lot!I did not overtighten,but didn't leave it so it will wiggle out later either.
I just turned it till it felt snug enough to stay put.Their is threadlocker on the dealer part sensor,red stuff.

Last edited by auxmike; 07-03-2004 at 10:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2004, 09:52 PM   #3
auxmike

I Checked old sensor and connector.If the connector is slimey inside,one might want to buy a new one.This is optional,but recommended if one has green slime in connector.

Here's the connector pack I can buy from the dealer,cost $26,comes with instructions.

Here's new all brass next to old cracked brown resin ECTS.What's that PCV valve doing in there?

This is how the sensor goes in/out.I squeeze it on the black just above where my thumb is.I did'nt squeeze the longer "horns".They are part of the locking system.This is the sensor resting in position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2004, 09:53 PM   #4
auxmike

This is the sensor locked in.Note how the "Flats" on the brown part lines up with the black part you squeeze.

I couldn't see any of this,so I had to feel it to get it back on right,the connector that is.
Thus the illustration outside of the hidden area it resides in.
Once the sensor is in and connector reattached,reinstalled the intake.

I gently squeezed again the spring clips at the throttle body while pressing down the lock tab with a screwdriver.Eased off the clips gently.

Pressed closed the 4 clips for the airbox.

Checked the antifreeze level,topped off if needed.Checked for any tools left around engine bay or hood!
Started car,checked for any leaks.
This is what I did today,thought you might like to see.
Remember,this is show and tell,I'm not teling you to try this yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2004, 09:46 AM   #5
HomeBase
HomeBase is on a distinguished road

THANK YOU!

I need to replace mine on my 96 SL2. This will help me tremendously!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

GREAT JOB!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HomeBase's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HomeBase reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2004, 10:00 AM   #6
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Beautiful! Thanks for the great picks and directions!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2004, 04:02 PM   #7
dcp
Advanced Member
dcp is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Very good information,THANKYOU!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2004, 07:00 PM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Very good pictures. I will only interject that the sensor with the SINGLE yellow wire going to it that IS visable in all those pictures is NOT the ECTS. That is the sensor for the GAUGE in 95' and earlier cars. If you look at the picture where the poster is using the ratchet wrench with the extension on it, it kinda points (as he is tightening it in the picture) to where the ECTS IS, BELOW and to the RIGHT of where the one wire gauge sensor that can be seen in the pictures is located. 96' and UP cars will NOT have the gauge sensor visable in these photos so there is no chance of making an error and removing the wrong one.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2004, 07:13 PM   #9
auxmike

Thanks Wolf!
Yes,it's the two wire.I would hope folks would realise that by the way I mentioned you can't really see it.
Any advice just how tight to go for the 99% of people out there who don't have a torque wrench in inch lbs.?
I don't like to hammer it all the way home due to the fact it's brass and dished at the end.When I feel resistance,I ease up on it.The threadlocker seems to hold it still quite well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2004, 07:52 PM   #10
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The "feel" of a fully seated ECTS is very similiar to a spark plug. When you feel the resistance increase to the point that you can no longer turn it by hand, THEN carefully use the socket wrench to continue. When you feel a marked increase in resistance to turning the wrench, about another 1/2 turn MAX will do. DO NOT wrench it down with all your strength. You can also pull off the socket and feel for the gap between the hex head of the sensor and the engine. When that gap is gone, the sensor is fully bottomed. I wish your excellant pictures had been added to the "How To" instructions I had posted months ago...they would work quite well hand in hand, though your instructions are right on the money.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2004, 08:03 PM   #11
auxmike

Wolf,feel free to "steal" my pics and add them to your description as you see fit.Not a problem.
All I ask is credit for the pics.
Mi casa es Su casa!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2004, 05:01 PM   #12
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

I feel handy!! I just did this all by myself. First time I've ever done something mechanic-ish on my car without my brother's supervision. Thanks for the pics, they were a great help!!

13 Chevy Equinox, 7k, built in Spring Hill!
93 SC2 purple, 204k, SBNO
99 SL2 Homecoming, 198k
94 SC2 aquamarine, 167k, for sale!
01 Mustang GT, dark red, 203k, SBNO

... I have too many cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2004, 10:23 AM   #13
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

ttt

Can one of the moderators please make this thread a sticky?

(Same for wolfman's ECTS thread.)

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2004, 04:56 AM   #14
ndsaturn
ndsaturn is on a distinguished road

quik question. the etcs on my 93 saturn is brass with a black plastic end. which one is this? old or new style, or aftermarket ? ty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ndsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ndsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2004, 01:06 PM   #15
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

thats the new and improved style.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2004, 04:39 AM   #16
123SVT
123SVT is on a distinguished road

Default Re: HOW OT: Change the ECTS Coolant Temp Sensor w/pics!

I tried this BUT at the last step I couldn't get the conector on right now it read nothing on my temp gauge....

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 123SVT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 123SVT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 02:08 AM   #17
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: HOW OT: Change the ECTS Coolant Temp Sensor w/pics!

i know it doesn't look directional, but i'm sure it is, try fliping it 180 degrees

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:52 AM   #18
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: HOW to: Change the ECTS Coolant Temp Sensor w/pics!

Quote:
Spazie
I feel handy!! I just did this all by myself. First time I've ever done something mechanic-ish on my car without my brother's supervision. Thanks for the pics, they were a great help!!
That should strongly support the suggestion that you continue to work on your car--it can only gett better, & surprise you even more.

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 07:53 PM   #19
emptypockets
emptypockets is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
Thumbs Up Re: HOW OT: Change the ECTS Coolant Temp Sensor w/pics!

Awesome auxmike! I need to do this on my car and I don't think we even have a 13 mm socket let alone a deep well. Thanks for the how-to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emptypockets's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emptypockets reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2005, 04:41 AM   #20
romac
romac is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Changing the ECTS Coolant Temp Sensor (with pictures)

We just got our ECTS in for her 96 SC1 5spd. How much do these instructions vary from that? Anything else to look out for? Is this something we can do on our own?

2003 Twilight Blue ZX3
1996 White SC1 - Hers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to romac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help romac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread