SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Default GM Sales Down 15% for June

Not to good for Saturn excpet for the VUE YTD 2003 compared to 2004

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...=74&docid=5608

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #2
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Yeah, it is really sad when you factor in the massive level of incentives they are using accross just about all models in order to generate even these sales figures.

When you buy a car and it drops 50-60% in value in one year it sort of makes me want to keep my car and drive it into the ground vs., buying another new car in 3-5 years to have the same thing happen again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2004, 02:37 PM   #3
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

Ehh... Saturn sales are down 43% in June 2004 from June 2003

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2004, 03:13 PM   #4
protonixo
protonixo is on a distinguished road

wonder how vue sales will come out in the next report as compared to the first quarter when they had all those massive incentives....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to protonixo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help protonixo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2004, 03:38 PM   #5
mikthehickNC
mikthehickNC is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SL1

i wonder why saturn sales are so far down, because of the Ls?

2005 Mazda6 Hatch

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikthehickNC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikthehickNC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2004, 03:55 PM   #6
seamus1066
seamus1066 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by mikthehickNC
i wonder why saturn sales are so far down, because of the Ls?
Because of the L-Series and the ION. Why do you think we stopped production of the L-Series and are reducing a shift of production on the ION. Very low sales.....

The VUE is the only product that we can depend on to sell right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seamus1066's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seamus1066 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2004, 07:26 PM   #7
bkskatersd
bkskatersd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally posted by seamus1066
Because of the L-Series and the ION. Why do you think we stopped production of the L-Series and are reducing a shift of production on the ION. Very low sales.....

The VUE is the only product that we can depend on to sell right now.
Be interesting to see if they hit 100,000 Vue's this year. Glad they have a success there. The Honda engine was a good decision, really makes it a gem. The planned Hybrid for '06 is a good move, but I would of rather seen a true Hybrid instead of the mild hybrid.

I've always liked my L300, but I'm disappointed that Saturn didn't do a better job with it. Sound fundamentals but the first two years had way too many problems and design flaws. They should have started from scratch instead of retrofitting an Opel. Because of this they spent too much time and money fixing design flaws and errors. The cosmetic change in 2003 was a waste. They should have spent the money on enhancing the car such as boosting Horsepower of both engines and coming out with a "red line" version.

The fact that the Ion will still have the center IP in 2005, doesn't bode well for a sales recovery of it. I doubt they'll ever hit 150,000 per year but maybe the other changes will give the market a reason to overcome the dislike of center IPs. Its not that bad of a small car, but most people, right or wrong, don't like center IPs unless the car has some feature that give the car a strong attraction - prime example is the Toyota Prius. I'd like to see them do a Hybrid Ion. I think that would be an interesting product.

Saturn has some good products in the pipeline, although I'm not too sure about the Relay. But in reality, this is an incremental revenue product for the division and they're not betting the proverbal farm on it. 20,000 to 30,000 a year would help make up from the fallout from the discontinuation of the L-series. In actuality, the better Relay will come later in the decade when it is moved to the new minivan architecture where a lot more product individuality can be designed in. That will give it a chance to not be a cosmetic rebadged Chevy/Ponitac/Buick. So for now, you have a fraternal quadruplet.

The best products in the pipeline will be the curve roadster, the new eplison architecture based L replacement, and maybe the larger SUV. The current eplison Saab and Chevy have gotten good reviews and show that you can design unique cars off of common components. But I think the Curve stands to give Saturn the most notice. May not sell a lot of them, but will get people to think about Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bkskatersd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bkskatersd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2004, 04:08 PM   #8
pd1601
pd1601 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SL1

I found this article on the BBC about the state of the US car market.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3859133.stm

------------------------------
ABBA2005
Anybody but Blair again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pd1601's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pd1601 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2004, 06:55 PM   #9
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

I think GM and Fords sales were down in June because of high gas prices scared people away from buying big trucks and SUV's. These two depend on their truck line too much. They better start investing more money in their car lines.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2004, 12:19 PM   #10
Hans Gilbranson
Hans Gilbranson is on a distinguished road

With the current incentive programs being the best effort one would think sales would boom.

I think the problem is that the buyers can become confused as to which incentives apply them and which ones don't.

Factor this into ALL of the manufacturers and the market place has become very confusing.

Another factor is that because incentives have been in place for a while many people bought earlier than they normally would have thus causing a flooded market.

The economy is driven by cars in so many ways and I'm sure what we are seeing is a temporary situation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hans Gilbranson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hans Gilbranson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2004, 08:24 PM   #11
Zuul24
Zuul24 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
1994 SC2

I know there are ion fans out there.

I really do not believe they are that great looking of a car and I even predicted to my father that sales were going to drop for Saturn.

They were holding their own with the S Series.

But... if it came down to it... I would rather walk than drive a Honda Element....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zuul24's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zuul24 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2004, 09:56 PM   #12
PK VUE
PK VUE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuul24
But... if it came down to it... I would rather walk than drive a Honda Element....
That's not true, you are an American, we don't walk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PK VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PK VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2004, 02:50 AM   #13
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally posted by PK VUE
That's not true, you are an American, we don't walk.
Or drive a honda element!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wlhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wlhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2004, 07:03 AM   #14
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

It appears to me that the mid east desides what auto products sell well in the U.S.I dont think its a coincidence that truck sales fell this june and Import sedan sales rose. At $220 a gallon who could afford the $70 it takes to fill the tank of an Excusion and then get a woping 16MPG and do it all over again in a couple of days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2004, 12:33 PM   #15
protonixo

ahhh..the honda element!!

at first sight i thought it was a well, uh, strange looking vehicle but it does grow on you! they are not too shabby, tons of room, has a lot of pep from the 160hp engine, has front/rear disc brakes!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help protonixo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2004, 12:54 PM   #16
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Wife likes it or a CR-V.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2004, 01:03 PM   #17
vue0404
vue0404 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by walt
It appears to me that the mid east desides what auto products sell well in the U.S.I dont think its a coincidence that truck sales fell this june and Import sedan sales rose. At $220 a gallon who could afford the $70 it takes to fill the tank of an Excusion and then get a woping 16MPG and do it all over again in a couple of days.
An excursion getting 16 mpg? That's pretty good, must be all hwy driving. My cousins' expedition averages 13 mpg!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vue0404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vue0404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2004, 10:12 AM   #18
protonixo

more incentives coming your way!!

GM, Ford Hike Incentives After Poor Sales

http://money.excite.com/ht/nw/bus/20...n06287852.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread