SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
playbass48
playbass48 is on a distinguished road

Default L-200 Armrest

I find that driving my 01 L-200 lacked that comfy right arm thing - being able to have the elbow on the arm rest and still reach the steering wheel with the right hand. So in looking at it, I thought that raising the center arm rest would do the trick. I unscrewed it, made a form fitting wooden "spacer block" fot the base of the thing, and painted it flat black to match the interior. (this did take some work to make it not noticable) I then drilled through it so I could re-screw the arm rest back in. I did have to use longer screws. It wound up raised about an inch and a half, and unless you're a short person in the back seat, you can't see the spacer block. It worked! It almost has that big Buick boulivard cruiser lean thing to it.

"The diference between an ohh and an ahh, is about an inch and a half".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to playbass48's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help playbass48 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
bravesfann23
bravesfann23 is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see a pic of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bravesfann23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bravesfann23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
playbass48
playbass48 is on a distinguished road

To "Bravesfan".....Would be hard to take a pic of it actually. Once the arm rest is removed, make a tracing (pattern) of the bass that holds the arm rest. It is recessed down a bit. Then take the tracing and make the same pattern of it from wood. You really don't have to be all that accurate as there's loads of room where the rest fits the base. Choose your own thickness of wood. I cut the wood about 1/2 inch smaller than the tracing/pattern I made. Sand and paint. Then use the arm rest screw holes for the drilling pattern. Appearance? It sort of looks like the arm rest "floats" above the base housing. Can hardly see the painted wood insert. I showed it to a friend who was not familiar with Saturns, and he couldn't tell what I was talking about, so I must have done a good job on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to playbass48's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help playbass48 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
bravesfann23
bravesfann23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by playbass48
To "Bravesfan".....Would be hard to take a pic of it actually. Once the arm rest is removed, make a tracing (pattern) of the bass that holds the arm rest. It is recessed down a bit. Then take the tracing and make the same pattern of it from wood. You really don't have to be all that accurate as there's loads of room where the rest fits the base. Choose your own thickness of wood. I cut the wood about 1/2 inch smaller than the tracing/pattern I made. Sand and paint. Then use the arm rest screw holes for the drilling pattern. Appearance? It sort of looks like the arm rest "floats" above the base housing. Can hardly see the painted wood insert. I showed it to a friend who was not familiar with Saturns, and he couldn't tell what I was talking about, so I must have done a good job on it.
sounds easy, i might try that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bravesfann23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bravesfann23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2004, 12:23 AM   #5
redbadge
redbadge is on a distinguished road

I always felt that the L needs a center armrest similiar to those found on an SUV or minivan. The stock armrest is too short and low for me to feel comfortable, especially on longer trips. I did an internet search and was able to find one company from Sweden that actually sells an armrest for $125 and they claim to be able to explain how to attach it to the driver seat. In the L this would mean overcomming the potential obstacles of both the existing armrest and the lumbar support knob on the side of the seat. Also it probably requires pulling the upholstery apart in order to get at the frame to attach the thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redbadge's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redbadge reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2004, 10:16 PM   #6
Crash2
Crash2 is on a distinguished road

I'm taking out that center console between the driver and passenger seats, as well as the cigarette lighter and that little holder thing. I Hope to replace it with some kind of unit that attaches to my iPAQ that gives me all sorts of engine data.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Crash2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Crash2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread