SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
ampate
ampate is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn ION Quad Coupe - losing power

I have a 2003 Saturn ION Quad Coupe. I am having problems with it losing power. After I have sat at a red light and attempt to accelerate the car will have no power. I have to wait a few seconds before it will accelerate. It has also done this while I am crossing the road with on-coming traffic. I have taken the vehicle to a Saturn dealership to get the problem fixed but they "could not duplicate the problem" and said as of right now they do not know what to do about it. The other day, I was backing out of my driveway and I was in the road at a complete stop (I was still in reverse) the vehicle revved up and the rpm needle was at 2. Now I am no auto technician, but I know it shouldn't do that while I am at 0 miles an hour. After it revved up, it made a "pop" noise that sounded like it came from underneath the hood. If anyone knows what is wrong with the vehicle I would really like to know. I really love my saturn and would hate to have to trade it in for something that I do not want.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ampate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ampate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

VTI or manual trans. If VTI there is a TSB that kind of applies for the loss of power. Kind of feels like you are in to high of a gear? The pop noise though????

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
ampate
ampate is on a distinguished road

What is a TSB and what does it do? I do have a VTI transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ampate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ampate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2004, 04:16 PM   #4
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Technical Service Bulletin, they're basically a report sent from the factory engineers to the dealer service departments detailing known problems and their recommended fixes.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2004, 10:49 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Like I said this TSB doesn't neccesarily apply to you because of the slippery conditions part of it. We have used it for this type of concern before though and it seems to fix things up. See if they will considering doing this TSB for you:

#04-07-30-007

No Wheel Movement in Snow or Slippery Surfaces (Reprogram TCM)
2003-2004 Saturn VUE Vehicles

2003-2004 Saturn ION Vehicles

with VT25E (Vti) Transaxle (RPO M75/M16)

Condition
Some customers may comment on their vehicle becoming stuck in snow or on a slippery surface in which the wheels will not spin. This condition may occur more frequently on grades where poor traction conditions exist.

Cause
This condition may occur when the driver causes a rapid wheel deceleration by stepping on the brake pedal and locking the wheels or when the road surface causes a similar rapid wheel deceleration when the driver lifts his/her foot off the throttle from a wheel spinning condition. The rapid wheel deceleration may invoke a drive belt protection algorithm for the subsequent re-launch. As a result of the protection algorithm, the transaxle ratio can move away from an Underdrive (1st gear) position and move more towards a gear ratio position similar to a typical 2nd or 3rd gear ratio. With subsequent attempts to move the vehicle in slippery conditions, it is possible to achieve a ratio in which the wheels will not spin.

Correction
Reprogram the TCM with a new calibration following the procedure outlined in this bulletin

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread