SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 10:49 AM   #1
Cap138
Cap138 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Question Sound deadening?

I have a crazy idea of experimenting with some sound deadening for my car. The ION is a decently solid ride but I’d like to further reduce the road/tire and engine noise. I was doing some info searching and came across this thread in an Altima forum. This person used asphalt based roofing mats similar to Dynamat (but at a fraction of the costs) along with carpet underlay and spray adhesive from Home Depot.

I then came across (from the same thread) a polymer based liquid sound deadener that is applied by painting and spraying it on in coats. It seems it would be easier to apply than cutting and fitting asphalt mats and might weigh less. But it does costs more at $250 for five gallons or $70 for one gallon. Here’s their website…www.quietcar.net There’s also another brand called eDead v3.0.

It would be a big project but I would want to insulate as much of the cabin as possible, including, the floor, firewall, dash components, under the backseat, the trunk, the doors, wheel wells, and anything else. To cover that much area with multiple coats I estimate that I would need the five gallon quantity.

Anyone have any opinions on such a task? Would it be worth it or should I leave well enough alone? I’m thinking of going with the Quiet Car liquid. The price is a little high but isn’t too bad considering the cost of other mods like springs, intakes, tint, and aftermarket sunroofs . Obviously taking apart the interior won’t be an easy task, any info and advice on that would be great.

This is still just in the brainstorming stage. If it did work it would make my car more comfortable. I have poked around at the bottom of the interior and noticed some sound deadening material already loosely in place, but I wonder if a few coats of Quiet Car would help…

Thanks for reading.

2008 Astra 5-dr XR
black sapphire, manual
leather, sport, sunroof, adv audio
2000 SL1
2003 Ion3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cap138's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cap138 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2004, 11:01 AM   #2
jmettee
jmettee is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Well, I've been noticing that my stock Firestone Firehawks seem to be getting much louder at they get older. Others have said how much of a difference it makes by just changing tires.

Do you still have the stock ones on yet or have you changes.....may be something to think about.

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m
"Giggity Giggity Goo" -Quagmire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmettee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmettee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
BlueIonDriver
BlueIonDriver is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

the tar mats would ad ALOT of weight to your car, but i hear dynomatt is heavy too...... the main source of any kind of sound vibration will come from metal panels, thats where your focus should be..

2007 Storm Grey Ion Quad Coupe:"Sport Appearance Package"-Performance package: 2.4L Ecotec

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlueIonDriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlueIonDriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #4
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Backyard guys in my area have been fond of expandable spray foam insulation for homes. Haven't gone this route but is sounded interesting. Thay tell me it works good for filling rocker panels, frame rails, etc. It wouldn't help any inside the car.

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2004, 06:38 PM   #5
MightyJoe
MightyJoe is on a distinguished road

Don't use that expanding foam stuff.... after a bit it will loosen up in the panels you filled and SQUEAK like crazy due to body flex and such.... just a heads up

Joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MightyJoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MightyJoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2004, 11:36 AM   #6
b-ville
b-ville is on a distinguished road

Dynamat Extreme!!! Look at my pics, you can see my start to my trunk. I have now done the doors and trunk. Can't wait to get further.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to b-ville's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help b-ville reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2004, 12:26 AM   #7
Cap138
Cap138 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by b-ville
Dynamat Extreme!!! Look at my pics, you can see my start to my trunk. I have now done the doors and trunk. Can't wait to get further.
Thanks for the replies.

b-ville (burnsville?), Looks good so far in that pic.

Have you noticed a reduction in sound (road/tire noise) from 'dynamating' the trunk and doors?

I thought about using Dynamat Xtreme, it looks like it's about $250 for 36 sq ft.

jmettee, I thought about changing the tires too, but I don't think I could justify the $400+ cost of replacing the Firehawks this early in their life.

I'm still thinking of coating the interior bare-metal pieces with the polymer material. We'll see. Maybe I should get a decibel meter to record before and after results.

2008 Astra 5-dr XR
black sapphire, manual
leather, sport, sunroof, adv audio
2000 SL1
2003 Ion3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cap138's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cap138 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2004, 12:48 AM   #8
MightyJoe
MightyJoe is on a distinguished road

you may want to consider a product called dampifier by second skin. their webpage is secondskinaudio.com, and the good news is if you are a member of caraudioforums.com, you will get 40% off and free shipping. I bought 50 square feet for something like 80 dollars, and Anthony (the owner of the company) is very very friendly. he is in the process of introducing an improved version of deadener, and it looks like you can preorder 40 sq ft for 89 plus shipping. let me tell you this stuff is as good or better than dynamat extreme and waaaaay cheaper. here's some pics of my sl2...

users.cableaz.com/~mightyjoe/audio11.jpg
users.cableaz.com/~mightyjoe/audio22.jpg
users.cableaz.com/~mightyjoe/audio33.jpg

Joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MightyJoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MightyJoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2004, 10:33 AM   #9
b-ville
b-ville is on a distinguished road

Yeah actually, burnsville's right. My other screen name didn't let me post and i got sick of waiting. I work at best buy so dynamat was a cheaper. You will need 40 sq ft to cover the trunk, 4 per door and yes, it is a big improvement on noise. I only have that pic of my dynamat, I finished it all and Will be using my digital camera soon to take "real" pics of my car for my gallery. I gotta get it back from my bro who is vacationing in alaska.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to b-ville's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help b-ville reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:16 PM   #10
DBZ Jr
DBZ Jr is on a distinguished road

My suggestion is going to a local building supplier, and trying to find Aluminum backed Peel and Seel. It has the same rubber/asphalt makeup as dynamat, and comes with an aluminum backing to help reduce resonances even more. The aluminum backing also serves a purpose or reducing the odor that comes with a lot of asphalt based products.

You're looking at about $1sq/ft. You could also get vinyl versions for cheap from Parts Express for low prices as well. Basically, what you're trying to do, is add mass to the panels(not weight) to lower the resonance frequency to something more subsonic.

Ren

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DBZ Jr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DBZ Jr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2004, 08:32 PM   #11
OldGeezer
OldGeezer is on a distinguished road

Default loud Firehawks

Hey "jmettee" I seem to have the same problem you mentioned. I've noticed that my Firehawks seem much louder now that they have almost 23k on them. I can now hear what can be best described as a hollow "humming" type of sound which wasn't there before. It's more noticeable as the miles add up. I keep rotating them every 6k miles. They do seem to be wearing fairly well. Looks like they could go another 23k without too much trouble. I would like to try another set now, but I can think of better ways to spend that kind of money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldGeezer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldGeezer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread