SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Blue smoke from Saturns?

Saw this in today's Pain Feeler business section:

"Saturn warning on blue smoke

General Motors Corp.'s Saturn unit has told its dealers that some customers may have problems with the 3.0 liter V-6 engines on its 2000-2004 L-Series vehicles and its 2002-2003 Vue sport utilities. A technical service bulletin sent to dealers says that if customers note blue smoke from the exhaust when the engine is started, there may be a problem with the valves. The problem is unusual and Saturn has had few complaints, a GM powertrain spokeswoman said. A decision will be made on each case whether GM will cover repairs if the warranty has expired, she said. "

Anybody experience this?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
prof
prof is on a distinguished road

No problem so far
2000 LW2 and
2002 L300

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prof's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prof reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:38 PM   #3
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

What's blue smoke signify again? Coolant leaking into the engine?

You would really need someone else to look at your car to make sure nothing was up with the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:42 PM   #4
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaseball
What's blue smoke signify again? Coolant leaking into the engine?

You would really need someone else to look at your car to make sure nothing was up with the car.
One would tend to think it was burning oil.
Bad valve guide seals, perhaps?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

That's what I recall reading, that if you have Blue Smoke, it means your car is burning oil...definately something with the valves....I've heard of First Gen's doing this and it has taken them this long for GM to realize it? Hello, its not just on the L-Series and VUE!!!

Stupid GM!!

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #6
OvenRude
OvenRude is on a distinguished road

2 things that blue smoke brings to mind is either burning oil or burning rubber....most likely the first item is the issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OvenRude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OvenRude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2004, 07:19 AM   #7
BlueIonDriver
BlueIonDriver is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

DUDE, i want blue smoke! lol

2007 Storm Grey Ion Quad Coupe:"Sport Appearance Package"-Performance package: 2.4L Ecotec

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlueIonDriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlueIonDriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2004, 10:39 AM   #8
MadmaX
MadmaX is on a distinguished road

blue smoke is oil, and although the 1.9's can turn into real oil burners they didn't usually smoke.

The 3.0's they are referring to seem to always smoke when we first pull them off the transporter with 2 miles on them, but I've never seen one that was broken in that was still doing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MadmaX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MadmaX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2004, 12:41 PM   #9
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

I think what we are seeing here from GM is the fact since Saturn is under the GM umbrella now....GM knew about this problem, but neglected to have anything done about it in the 1.9L engine. Now that it is becoming more prevalent in the L-Series and VUE and now that Saturn has become a part of the GM BEAST...GM is thinking..."We can't have a bad reputation for the Saturn..."

This just irks me....I'm venting....

Another way for GM to save face on Saturn.

I Love my Saturn, but I really could care less about GM.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2004, 02:32 PM   #10
myoung
Advanced Member
myoung is on a distinguished road

It has nothing to do with Saturn being under the "GM Umberella." They didn't mention the 1.9, if you didn't notice. It burns, yeah, I can attest to that, but not with clouds of smoke. The 3.0 is a completely different beast then the 1.9. Originally in the Cadillac Catera and later CTS, it's definately had its share of problems and complaints. Cadillac Techs aren't too fond of the Catera, and the 3.0 is one of the reasons.

a vw driving saturn technician? hmmmm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myoung's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myoung reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2004, 12:29 AM   #11
edwilson13185
Advanced Member
edwilson13185 is on a distinguished road

I was wondering about Saturn's 3.0. That engine had major problems in the Catera. Hopefully these are just a few isolated cases, though, and nothing widespread like some other editions of the 3.0-liter seem to have.

Ed
2005 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4 5AT
http://community.webshots.com/user/edwilson13185

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edwilson13185's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edwilson13185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2004, 12:42 AM   #12
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueIonDriver
DUDE, i want blue smoke! lol
Ok, is it me or did anyone else just laugh out loud at this comment. Good one, Blue!

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2004, 12:08 AM   #13
orangeforfive
orangeforfive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete93SL1M
Ok, is it me or did anyone else just laugh out loud at this comment. Good one, Blue!
Yea, I laughed out loud...I had blue smoke, and lots of it...my old 1991 Chev Astro. The kids would like run when I was starting the old van. Once started, it stopped smoking...it was oil leaking through the valves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to orangeforfive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help orangeforfive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2004, 02:09 AM   #14
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

My honda had the same problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wlhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wlhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2004, 05:19 AM   #15
walt
walt is on a distinguished road

I have been told by my Brother a mechanic for over 30 years that blue smoke upon starting is usally dried up valve seals. My younger daughters GEO (Toyoto corolla) blows clouds of the stuff upon starting. However the car uses little oil and Im told its a simple fix with if you have an air compressor and the proper tool. Second what paper is the " Pain feeler business section".I have not heard any complaints from the well know publishers about Saturn3.0s smoking. Can anyone verify such a service bullitin is out there before all V6 VUE owners start thinking they will be needing a motor job in a few years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2004, 05:26 AM   #16
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

I've seen some L300 V6s in traffic recently and noticed some smoke & thought it odd but have not noticed it on any VUE yet. If they only smoke half as bad as every 1990 Civic I see, the will smoke a lot though.

The Accord CVCC I had in HS used a quart per tank. When I'd start it up cold, it'd cloud the whole HS parking lot. Great for killing mosquitos though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2004, 05:05 PM   #17
dieseljack
Advanced Member
dieseljack is on a distinguished road

Just sit behind a mid-nineties Dodge Caravan / Plymouth Voyager with the Mitsubishi 3.0 liter V6 at a stoplight sometime, and when the light turns green - look out! There'll be enough belched out blue smoke to blind you. This problem is reportedly related to not only valve seals, but valve guides as well. The repair is in excess of $3,500.00, and just as with the lousy transaxles on those vehicles, Daimler Chrysler is doing nothing to help the owners.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dieseljack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dieseljack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2004, 05:07 PM   #18
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Caravans have transmission problems.... NO WAY....

We owned one... we only had 4 different trannys in there over the life of it.... no tranny problems there...

On a positive note there though, the little 2.5 litre, 4-banger took 400,000km of abuse... that was before Mom hit the deer....

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2004, 05:22 PM   #19
MadmaX
MadmaX is on a distinguished road

Four oil burners I've owned

1993 ES300 smokes at start-up
1994 Maxima smoked at start-up
1988 Integra smoked all the time
1989 Mitsubishi Mighty max huge clouds anytime it was running

BTW, I never exceed 3000 miles for a oil change, and use Mobil1 99% of the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MadmaX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MadmaX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-01-2004, 11:05 AM   #20
L300-Linmo
L300-Linmo is on a distinguished road

"The problem is unusual and Saturn has had few complaints"

Apparently enough complaints to warrant a TSB.

I had this problem, covered under warranty - first bucket load of dirt on the coffin for my Saturn. Final nail in the coffin was the 3rd coolant issue.

Odds are many owners in the northern climates won't notice for several months. Frosty windows and exhaust vapor will hide the smoke until springtime.

Bad seals on one of the cylanders. Between balding Fireblowns and multiple bad engine seals - I think Saturn needs to
re-examine it's suppliers for the new models it is rolling out.

Weren't those engines made in Germany? Fine German engineering - same crappy German quality. LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300-Linmo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300-Linmo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread