SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 09:57 AM   #1
OldGeezer
OldGeezer is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up 2005 Saturn Preview!

Charlie, thanks for the update on the 2005 changes! I can't wait to see what they have planned for the interior . There are tons of rumors flying around concerning the center IP and the 5spd Aisin automatic being replaced. It's also nice to see they may be doing something about better seat support. If they do get rid of the center pod, us 03 and 04 owners will really have something different. This should be fun. Keep us informed!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldGeezer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldGeezer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2004, 12:41 PM   #2
Cap138
Cap138 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
"big changes on the interior, big changes helping those areas that consumers have told us quite frankly, need improvement."
To me, this quote almost guarantees the end of the center ip. Being a 2003 ION owner, I can say that some of the interior parts are rather cheap looking and could be improved. The seats, while very firm, could probably use a little more comfort and support. I'm pretty much indifferent about the steering wheel but I could see where some may be put off by it. But I always thought the center ip was a neat and different feature and itís too bad it received such a cold reception in the automotive industry. If the center ip goes away, it will be interesting to see what effect it has on ION sales.

I do like the idea of the 2.4 L Ecotec
But, I'll probably be holding on to my ION for a few more years yet.

2008 Astra 5-dr XR
black sapphire, manual
leather, sport, sunroof, adv audio
2000 SL1
2003 Ion3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cap138's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cap138 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2004, 01:47 PM   #3
protonixo
protonixo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lori Queen, head of GM's Delta and Kappa programs, revealed to the media during a vehicle preview that there will be 800 new parts in the 2005 Saturn ION
800 new parts? that's a lot of changes!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to protonixo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help protonixo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
csdibiase
csdibiase is on a distinguished road

yeah I have a feeling the '05 Ion is going to pretty much share interiors with the '05 cobalt, which really isn't a terrible thing. I love my Ion, but I can certianally understand how some are put off by the center IP and other quirks of the interior.

On the bright side, if I decided to replace my wife's SL2, I should be able to get a great deal on an '04 this fall

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to csdibiase's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help csdibiase reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2004, 02:33 PM   #5
BlueIonDriver
BlueIonDriver is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

thatll suck

2007 Storm Grey Ion Quad Coupe:"Sport Appearance Package"-Performance package: 2.4L Ecotec

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlueIonDriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlueIonDriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2004, 03:02 PM   #6
OldGeezer

Happy 800 new parts!

I would just love to see a list of those 800 parts and where they are going to be used :o: ! I suspect most are probably "invisible", just hardward or "fastener" related. But then again that could also be a good thing if they are used to tighten up the body or mechanically to improve it elsewhere. I can't complain about my particular car because it does seem pretty solid. "Cap138" as you stated, it will be interesting to see what effect this will have on sales. I also wonder what all the car mags and Consumer Reports will say . Then again most of us care less what C.R. says!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldGeezer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #7
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

This bolt from the 2003 model specifies 20lb-ft of torque, the new and improved 2005 model specifies 23lb-ft of torque.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2004, 03:23 PM   #8
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

I'm very excited to learn the 2005 ION is getting the Cabalt's/RL QC's steering wheel and the VUE is getting new cloth on the 4-cyl. model, as well as the teal and 2 new blue exterior colors

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2004, 03:33 PM   #9
protonixo
protonixo is on a distinguished road

i'm glad they're getting rid of that ugly steering wheel...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to protonixo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help protonixo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2004, 10:33 PM   #10
PAGuy77
PAGuy77 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I'd hate to see the center IP go, but I guess the masses have to be pleased somehow. That will just make my first MY Ion even more special.... I am curious to see the interior refinements as well. A few more bolts to tighten things up a bit won't hurt either. 2.4L 170hp....Enough said.... Just what I don't need, an xtra 30hp. I already get in enough trouble with the 140 I have now...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PAGuy77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PAGuy77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2004, 08:04 AM   #11
mrwag
mrwag is on a distinguished road

Hope economy doesn't suffer from the xtra horses. My wife's ION3 gets far worse mileage than my old SL2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrwag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrwag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2004, 11:15 AM   #12
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by mrwag
Hope economy doesn't suffer from the xtra horses. My wife's ION3 gets far worse mileage than my old SL2.
The 4 speed will get better fuel economy than the 5 speed as the top gear is an overdrive -- the Aisin AF23 has a top gear ratio of 1.00 while the Hydra-Matic 4T40-E has a top gear ratio of 0.86.

My L200 got better fuel economy than my ION 3.

I suspect the 05 ION will be better than the 04 for fuel economy.

The 2.4 I suspect would even out, and be the same as this this years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2004, 08:32 AM   #13
mrwag
mrwag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by saturncanuck
The 4 speed will get better fuel economy than the 5 speed as the top gear is an overdrive -- the Aisin AF23 has a top gear ratio of 1.00 while the Hydra-Matic 4T40-E has a top gear ratio of 0.86.

My L200 got better fuel economy than my ION 3.

I suspect the 05 ION will be better than the 04 for fuel economy.

The 2.4 I suspect would even out, and be the same as this this years.
Isn't that backwards? I thought a 5 speed should get better mileage than a 4 speed. Weird.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrwag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrwag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2004, 06:50 PM   #14
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

I expect the '05 ION fuel economy estimates to be in the same ballpark as the '04 model: 24/34 with an auto and 26/35 with the manual. I hope the chrome accents will end up on the rear deck (like the L-series) and in front to distinguish the sedan from the QC if indeed they will be sharing the same front end.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

Last edited by GR898SL2; 05-19-2004 at 06:55 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2004, 10:53 PM   #15
shawgod
shawgod is on a distinguished road

Heres the low down guys, I have been watching your forum for some time now. The company that I work for makes a lot of the interior pieces found in your cars. I can assure you that there is some changes but not as drastic as you all are making this out to be. Unfortunately because I don't want to jeopardize my job I can't discuss anything here regarding the ION.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shawgod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shawgod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2004, 12:39 AM   #16
mikthehickNC
mikthehickNC is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SL1

I'd like them to at least change the steering wheel.

2005 Mazda6 Hatch

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikthehickNC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikthehickNC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2004, 07:34 AM   #17
OldGeezer

Default Hmmmmm

"shawgod" that's very interesting, "I can assure you that there is some changes but not as drastic as you all are making this out to be."

Hmmm, if correct, maybe the center IP is staying afterall ! You have to wonder what it would cost Saturn to move the IP back to the traditional position. Personally I love where it is now and it's the main reason I bought the Ion in the firt place. We shall see...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2004, 09:02 AM   #18
BlueIonDriver

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

im just PRAYING the interior/exterior parts are interchangealbe with the 2004 models

2007 Storm Grey Ion Quad Coupe:"Sport Appearance Package"-Performance package: 2.4L Ecotec

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BlueIonDriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:33 AM   #19
Cap138
Cap138 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Thanks for the info shawgod! Do you have any idea when such info will become public?

BlueIonDriver,

Does that mean you are going to grab an '05 interior (if they are interchangable) and start all over again?

2008 Astra 5-dr XR
black sapphire, manual
leather, sport, sunroof, adv audio
2000 SL1
2003 Ion3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cap138's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cap138 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:48 AM   #20
BlueIonDriver

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

no no, but il will change out parts, supposidly the 05 will have some chrome ect in there...... maybe spice up my exisitng interior.........
if i like the 05 front facisa more....... well you never know

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread