SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 08:48 AM   #1
LoveMySaturn
LoveMySaturn is on a distinguished road

Default Fuel injector? Fuel filter? Air filter?

All right, here we go again. I have a problem when under 3000 rpms. If i floor it just sitting, or while driving, it will sputter all the way up to 3k, then just go like it used to, with much more power, its a very noticable difference. Anyway, i was told that it was my valve cover gasket, so I replaced that. Same problem. Replaced ECTS and PCV at the same time as the valve cover (yesterday). Is this an injector problem? Fuel filter? I just put in new plugs a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking maybe clean out the egr, plug wires and maybe a new air filter. What should I check for to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LoveMySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LoveMySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2004, 09:33 AM   #2
LoveMySaturn

By the way, it does throw a SES light, but it flashes for about 15 seconds or so, then just shuts off. Hope this helps. I think it has to be on constantly for autozone to check it. not sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LoveMySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
bhall10
bhall10 is on a distinguished road

Could be fuel delivery. Could be the EGR, and cleaning it out never hurts. Got a voltmeter? Could also be the MAP or O2 sensors. Valve cover gasket? I don't see how unless maybe wires are all gooped up with oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bhall10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bhall10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2004, 09:48 AM   #4
LoveMySaturn

What would I do with a voltmeter? My dad probably has one, he has a garage full of tools..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
bhall10
bhall10 is on a distinguished road

You can check the voltage signals your sensors are sending the PCM(computer). Unfortunately, I'm not the one to ask how to do that. But I'm sure somebody here knows how.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bhall10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bhall10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2004, 11:05 AM   #6
saturntech-6
saturntech-6 is on a distinguished road

Based on what you've written, the most likely suspect is your plug wires. On the 's' cars they only last about 50'ooo miles before they start cross-firing to each other. We rarely ever have any injector problems, and the egr won't make it miss onhard acceleration. Good luck, let me know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturntech-6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturntech-6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2004, 11:19 AM   #7
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

Before you replace the wires, try cleaning the coil pack connectors. Also if you haven't done a fuel filter, you probably should.

06 Red Ion Redline w/comp package, aero wing (for now), sunroof and onstar. 224whp/195wtq - stock

98 Eddie Bauer Explorer AWD V8 - stock

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2004, 12:28 PM   #8
LoveMySaturn

the coilpack is just on the other end of the plug wires right? if so, I already checked them, and there was no corrosion on them, but i cleaned them off with a rag anyway. i bought a egr valve gasket today, so I'll clean it off and see what happens. then i'll probably do the plug wires. How hard is a fuel filter change? It looks buried...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2004, 01:47 PM   #9
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

A FLASHING SES light means basically ONLY one thing, a MISFIRE. Your either have a plugwire, coilpack or spark plug problem. It is also possible on far more rare instances for a very lean (stuck) injector to cause a misfire. Please tell me you installed CONVENTIONAL, NON PLATINUM PLUGS properly gapped to .040.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2004, 10:14 PM   #10
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

A flashing SES light means that there is a catalyst damaging problem happening. The cause is normally a misfire caused by whatever. I would not drive the car very much/at all until you have the problem solved. If you had a leaking VC gasket did it leak into the plug wells? If so did you get carbon tracking on the plugs and wires?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

http://thomasb.worldwideshoppersclub.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2004, 11:50 PM   #11
LoveMySaturn

i put in what was in the car before, AC Delco plugs, gapped at .040. I changed the fuel filter, all kinds of black nasty gas in it, probably never changed. Still have the problem. Next step should be wires? They are bosch, so they have been changed in the past. The coilpacks look clean. Think they could still be the problem? And I have to drive this car. It is my only car...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2004, 11:56 PM   #12
LoveMySaturn

One thing I've been forgetting...It smells like gas out of the exhaust pipe. Any thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2004, 07:15 PM   #13
LoveMySaturn

So should I go out and buy some plug wires? Are the $25 ones from autozone ok?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2004, 09:14 PM   #14
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

If you are smelling gas out of the tail pipe the the car is running way to rich. You said that you replaced the ECT sensor. Did you inspect the connector to see it there was any corrosion in it. If there is then the PCM could still be getting the wrong temp signal.
get the codes from the PCM. They will be stored.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

http://thomasb.worldwideshoppersclub.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread