SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
KJB
Advanced Member
KJB is on a distinguished road

Question warning light

I had a warning light (actually my wife drives the Vue) and I was wondering what you all thought. I have an 04' V-6 and the light seemed to be the oil light? It was the one that looked like an oilcan with a wrench. I now have 5115 miles on the Vue and changed the oil at 3524 miles (using Mobil 1). I remember my wife’s Honda had a button to push to reset the service light whether or not you did the service (the car didn't know if the timing belt was replaced, it just knew it was time by the mileage).

My wife said it came on while it was warming up in the driveway and shut off by the time I went out to look. She was late for work so I did not have a chance to check it out but I was wondering if this has happened to anybody else before? I am going to call the Saturn service department at lunch to make an appointment to have it looked at this weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KJB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KJB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2004, 12:04 PM   #2
VTECVue
VTECVue is on a distinguished road

Easy one...

Thats the service wrench warning light at the bottom right of the dash. It is probably telling you it is time to change your oil.

If you already changed your oil, there is a way to reset it. Refer to the owners manual on how to do so, it involves turning on the ignition and pumping the accelerator pedal 3-5 times to reset it.

The oil interval sensor measures engine RPM, operating temperature, speeds, and other variables before determing it is time to change the oil.

Happy Vue'ing!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTECVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTECVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:22 PM   #3
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by VTECVue
Easy one...

Thats the service wrench warning light at the bottom right of the dash. It is probably telling you it is time to change your oil.

If you already changed your oil, there is a way to reset it. Refer to the owners manual on how to do so, it involves turning on the ignition and pumping the accelerator pedal 3-5 times to reset it.

The oil interval sensor measures engine RPM, operating temperature, speeds, and other variables before determing it is time to change the oil.

Happy Vue'ing!
The service wrench means you have a code (It is on the left). Check your gas cap and it will take a few starts before it goes off. On the right it says "CHange Oil soon" with no wrench. To rest the oil monitor turn the engine to on-position and in the fuses there is a button called oil. With the car in the on position hold the button for 5 seconds and the "Change oil soon" light will flash and go off. I have a 2003 4 so I think it is the same but from your description maybe the 2004's are different

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #4
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

I thought there were two lights with wrenches and the one with the oil can meant. Don't have my manual handy at the moment

If you never reset the service timing when you changed your oil, my guess is that it's for the oil change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
Ken Baker
Ken Baker is on a distinguished road

My vehicale is the 4 cyl and it states that the oil can with the wrench is the "change oil soon light". This light comes on when you start along with all the others and remains on for 30 sec if it senses it is time to change the oil.

It will come on after every start and remain on for 30 sec until it is reset.

In the orliginal post it sounds as if the light was not reset when they had the oil changed.

To reset the light select run on the ignition and fully depress the accellerator peddle 3 times within 5 sec. The light should begin to flash indicating a reset.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ken Baker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ken Baker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2004, 02:25 PM   #6
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

In 2004 the dashboard lights have changed some. 2002 - 2003 VUEs say "Change Oil Now" and 2004s have a little picture of an oil can with a wrench on top of it.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2004, 03:00 PM   #7
KJB
Advanced Member
KJB is on a distinguished road

Cool thank you all, it is the light (on the bottom right) that has an oilcan with a wrench with it. I wasn't sure if it was a change oil warning light that just came on after a certain amount of miles. I thought I heard on a previous post that there was some sort of "oil sensor" that could tell when it was time to change the oil.

Anyway, the oil was changed less that 2000 miles ago so it should be fine. I'll look into the owner’s manual and see how to reset the light, and if it comes on again after that, I'll take it in.

Thnx,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KJB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KJB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
Ken Baker

I wish they had left the words rather than going to symbols.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ken Baker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2004, 06:39 PM   #9
silvervoo
silvervoo is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Baker
Yeah but the symbols are a bit more universal. "Change oil soon" might not mean anything to some French speaking people in Québec.

●● If it doesn't have a clutch, I'm not interested ●● Vive la boîte manuelle ●●

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvervoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvervoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2004, 07:57 AM   #10
Ken Baker

I don't think it would be a case of a Quebec resident not being able to understand english but the language police going after Saturn. The simple fix is symbols.

Actually I never thought of that until you mentioned it and I live in the only officially bilingual province in Canada, New Brunswick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2004, 05:23 PM   #11
MtnVUEShadow
MtnVUEShadow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"Change Oil Soon" might be interpreted in another language as "Drive VUE Up Service Advisor's Butt."

The symbols used are for international purposes. I've started to see the same symbols on just about all new cars these days. I remember the 1st time I saw a "snowflake" instead of "A/C" I couldn't help but laugh.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MtnVUEShadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MtnVUEShadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2004, 05:26 PM   #12
MtnVUEShadow
MtnVUEShadow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by KJB
Cool thank you all, it is the light (on the bottom right) that has an oilcan with a wrench with it. I wasn't sure if it was a change oil warning light that just came on after a certain amount of miles. I thought I heard on a previous post that there was some sort of "oil sensor" that could tell when it was time to change the oil.

Anyway, the oil was changed less that 2000 miles ago so it should be fine. I'll look into the owner’s manual and see how to reset the light, and if it comes on again after that, I'll take it in.

Thnx,
Resetting the Oil light is a snap. Turn the car to the "Run" position (all accessories working), open the hood and remove the cover to the fuse block. On mine, the button is a small red square with "RESET" on it...I think it might say OIL too but I'm not sure. Hold it in for about 5 seconds, and the light should turn off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MtnVUEShadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MtnVUEShadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2004, 06:44 PM   #13
svxeno
svxeno is on a distinguished road

Funny thing is my '04 QC has an "engine" symbol that looks like an old engine (Air cleaner on top and fan on the front) and nothing like the engines of today. What happens if a young person see's it?

Randy (very old)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svxeno's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svxeno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2004, 09:16 PM   #14
silvervoo
silvervoo is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I don't think it would be a case of a Quebec resident not being able to understand english but the language police going after Saturn. The simple fix is symbols.
I don't know, we took our first trip to Québec in 2001 and I was a little surprised at how many people we encountered who spoke no english. I noticed it most outside the larger cities. It's a good thing we speak french, especially since my wife's car broke down.

●● If it doesn't have a clutch, I'm not interested ●● Vive la boîte manuelle ●●

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvervoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvervoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread