SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
tightsaturn96
Advanced Member
tightsaturn96 is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes Goodbye Saturn. . . i'll miss you.

Well, it had to happen someday and the right deal came along--so about a month ago I traded in my satty and bought a 2004 Ford Mustang deluxe coupe in dark shadow grey. It has the 3.9L 193hp v6 and a 5-speed tranny. Pretty much a fully loaded coupe minus the leather. I've been meaning to tell everyone, but I have been extremely busy with school and work for a while.

After driving a couple of Mustangs that my friends own I decided that the only car I wanted was a stang. Oh yeah--after driving mine, my dad decided all he wanted was a stang--so he got an identical deal on a Mustang GT. Just had to show me up .
I know, I know, you guys are thinking how could I do this to my Saturn for a Ford. But check this out: The car stickered for $20,400 and the rebate was $3,000--but the dealership was doubling rebates. So I paid only $14,400 +TTL for the car!!!
Figure in 4k I had saved up, 1k from mom and pop, and another 1k for my Saturn (I know--a disgrace) and I drove it home having financed $11,095 (even including the extended warranty I got).
After, driving it for a while I must say that I think Ford did it right with the Mustang (even if most other Fords are cheesy). It is built perfectly with no rattles or major defects. Just a pair of paint imperfections and a drop of glue on the back seat. To anyone who says the v6 is wimpy, just drive it and it'll show you what a good ole' American pushrod can do. Very fun car to drive! So fun I put 1,000 miles on it in two weeks!!!
(yes, I do miss the Saturn sometimes--if I had known before I went that the trade would be low I'd probably have kept it)

If anyone is interested pics are in my gallery--including a cool one of both new Mustangs side by side:
my gallery
I may not come as often, but I'll still come hang out here at Saturnfans--we still have two saturns left. Don't think I'll change the avatar though, it wouldn't feel right to.

Last edited by tightsaturn96; 04-19-2004 at 06:42 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tightsaturn96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tightsaturn96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
HiWire
HiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2

What ?! No SVT Cobra R Ultra+? ... just kidding. Enjoy your Mustang. The weather is right for cruisin'

Modified SC2

Take it to the track

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiWire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2004, 06:49 PM   #3
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

NO!

Thats horrible man!

And a Rustang to boot!

j/k

I hope you have as much fun with your mustang as you did with your satty.

Stick around man!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSaturnKid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2004, 06:50 PM   #4
merkurwwu
merkurwwu is on a distinguished road

Ford builds good stuff. That's really all you can say. There are those people who say they've had trouble with them, that they're crap, that they're (fill in the blank) but really, you just can't go wrong with them.

I have a 2003 Explorer that I replaced a '93 Explorer with. My dad has an '89 Taurus SHO (that's only had a recurring 'normal' clutch problem) and now has a 2004 Mach I. We've had Merkurs, a few other Mustangs, an old Fairmont- so yea, basically we've been a Ford family. I just figure, there's a reason the Explorer is the best selling SUV, the Focus is one of the best selling compacts, the F150 is the best selling pickup, the Mustang is one of the best selling coupes. If they're so horrible, why are they best sellers? It isn't because they're so much cheaper!

I think its true that if you have a good experience you'll tell one person, if you have a bad one you'll tell FIVE- and Ford has been around for a long long time and has probably accumulated some of it's reputation from people who don't have any first-hand experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to merkurwwu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help merkurwwu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
SexyMexi02SC2
Advanced Member
SexyMexi02SC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

enjoy your Ford- whatever makes you happy.

Xen Xavier
*2002 SC2,black,fully loaded
*Pioneer 8500 h/u
*2 12" Kicker CompVRs
*Polk components
*Rockford 450S amp
*Amer Legacy Cap
*17" Enkei CDR9s
*Toyo FZ4 40ZR17s

...back in black.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SexyMexi02SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SexyMexi02SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2004, 08:04 PM   #6
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

I still say the v6 is wimpy and I have no problems walking them in the SL2... But aside from being a ford, it's still a nice car. I'd like something with a nicer tighter interior myself, but I'm thinking S2000, though I'll probably only be able to afford a used Miata.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Why not a V8?

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2004, 12:42 AM   #8
JDub99SL2
Advanced Member
JDub99SL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Hmm -- I've always been tempted to find a Mustang GT, but I personally like the Camaros a lot more. I believe the new mustangs are going to have independent rear suspension, which is DEFINITELY something I've always had against the Mustangs. It looks good, too bad you couldn't have found a V8. The V6 'Stang is about as fast as an SL2 with a couple bolt-ons. My car has beaten more than one 95ish 3.8L.... dunno about the new ones, though.

Hope you're not Found On Road Dead anytime soon. :-D Jk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JDub99SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JDub99SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2004, 04:35 AM   #9
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Nice Mustang. The V6 has come a long way, that is for sure.

The 1986 GT had a whopping 200 hp back then - and nowadays the V6 puts out near that.

That color is great - no dirt shows on that color.

Enjoy the ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:25 AM   #10
bbarbulo
Advanced Member
bbarbulo is on a distinguished road

V6... :hmph:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbarbulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbarbulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:36 AM   #11
nkyleft
nkyleft is on a distinguished road

yeah why not a V8?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nkyleft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nkyleft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:56 AM   #12
97_Saturn_SL2
97_Saturn_SL2 is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the new car! I'm a Camaro guy myself, but you really can't buy a new Camaro anymore.

To answer some other posts, the new Mustang will not have IRS (except the upcoming SVT Cobra). The base and GT cars will again have a solid axle. Better for drag racing (which, believe it or not, many Mustang - and Camaro/Firebird - owners do). And a well set up solid axle can be made to handle just fine. Their biggest weakness is when you hit a bump mid corner, from what I can tell.

As for why he didn't get a V8: not everyone wants or needs 260 or 300 or whatever hp. Or can afford it. With the V8 come higher initial purchase costs, higher fuel costs, and higher insurance rates... Still a little sportier than an SL2, even with a V6.

2005 Ion 2 Sport Pkg, 5 speed
1996 Camaro B4C, LT1, 6 speed
1990 Mazda Miata, 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97_Saturn_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97_Saturn_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:59 AM   #13
Tuanies
Advanced Member
Tuanies is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Whatever you do don't close the door by pushing on the glass, it'll start making noises if you do it a lot. Happened on my friends GT. The backseats in a 'Stang are horrible IMO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tuanies's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tuanies reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2004, 10:33 AM   #14
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by nkyleft
yeah why not a V8?
Just a guess, but try getting insurance for a person under 25 who tinkles standing up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2004, 11:05 AM   #15
bennett9000
bennett9000 has a spectacular aura aboutbennett9000 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Goodbye Saturn. . . i'll miss you.

Quote:
Originally posted by tightsaturn96
To anyone who says the v6 is wimpy, just drive it and it'll show you what a good ole' American pushrod can do.
Eh...my no-pushrod-havin' DOHC Cougar will OWN you. I've shown other V6 Mustang owners my high-revving wrath...

But that is a GREAT-lookin' 'Stang. Nice job. Nothing beats a good V6 for that great balance of performance and economy. And I envy your rear-wheel drive.

What kind of mileage are you getting? The Cougar averages about 23.5, mixed.

-Andy

01 SL1 (2011-2014) 99 SW2 (2002-2009) 95 SL2 (1997-2002)
00 ROUSH Cougar V6 03 SVT Focus #2370 08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bennett9000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bennett9000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2004, 11:32 PM   #16
HiWire
HiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2

So... are you going to mod your new stallion?

Modified SC2

Take it to the track

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiWire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2004, 07:58 AM   #17
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Is that hood scoop functional (i.e. ram-air) or is it just there to look "cool" (i.e. slow the car down)?

I won't argue the V6 though, the performance/fuel consumption ratio is pretty good for the push rods. The wife's Malibu gets almost 30mpg on straight highway - too bad there's no manual tranny option for it though.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2004, 09:16 AM   #18
Tuanies
Advanced Member
Tuanies is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

The hood scoop is useless on the V6 IIRC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tuanies's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tuanies reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2004, 10:40 AM   #19
97_Saturn_SL2
97_Saturn_SL2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuanies
The hood scoop is useless on the V6 IIRC.
The hood scoop is fake on the V8 cars, as well. I think the '03 and later (supercharged) Cobras have a different hood without the scoop.

2005 Ion 2 Sport Pkg, 5 speed
1996 Camaro B4C, LT1, 6 speed
1990 Mazda Miata, 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97_Saturn_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97_Saturn_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #20
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

If you're going to get a Mustang, why didn't you wait until the gorgeously retro '05's come out? I heard they will be dealing on them when they come out too. I guess Ford wants the '05 to be a success. After seeing what the '05 will look like, I couldn't understand why anyone would want to buy the current dated looking one.

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread