SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2000, 07:56 AM   #1
MrCarGuy
MrCarGuy is on a distinguished road

Default Not so SPECIAL EDITION SC2

I am disappointed to see Saturn making special edition cars buy just changing the paint color (black roof or all yellow) and/or changing the interior (a BLACK saturn emblem, yellow/black interior?). And now possible 16 inch wheels? Who cares....it's not like we've got the torque and horsepower to waste buy slapping on larger wheels.

I think yellow is a disgusting color (opinion), but just because a car is a different color with different badges doesnít make it special (fact). Why? Because itís the same car any way you cut it, handling, horsepower and everything. No special suped-up stereo system or a bodykit ... something that would REALLY make it different and make an auto enthusiast like me WANT to buy a Saturn. So 20K+ for a loaded SC2 special edition or standard edition? I could spend a little more a get a Celica GTS 24K) or spend a little more than that and buy a Trans Am WS6 or Firehawk just to be different (summer car only of course). But I guess since I am looking to stand out from the rest and be quick, Saturn is the wrong company. The new generation has money, weíre all computer whiz-kids. We donít care about fuel economy (as long as it isn't TOO bad); we care about performance specs, sweet factory audio systems and what the car looks like inside and out.

Iím 25. Most 30-year olds do NOT get it. But people around my age down have the money to blow on a car that we want. Saturn just isnít getting the attention of the younger generation. They went from the SPORTY SC-2 with the pop-up headlights, to a more roomy mature yet sporty SC-2 in 1997, now the 2001 SC-2 and it looks very ugly in my opinion, especially the cheap interior and WORSE sound system (no manual 5-band EQ). I also find the 5-speed very choppy and notchy compared to the sticks found in imports.

Want to make a SPECIAL Edition Saturn? Try the RAD SC2 concept or the turbo concept. Use a body kit, change the spoiler .... throw in some extra ponies and some grunt. Until then, I look elsewhere for a coupe that meets my expectations. Saturn is a great car and all....but it's old and going in the wrong direction.

MrCarGuy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrCarGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrCarGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2000, 07:59 AM   #2
MrCarGuy
MrCarGuy is on a distinguished road

I made a few typos, I was in a hurry. Most people my age DO have the money to blow on the car they want.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrCarGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrCarGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2000, 08:31 AM   #3
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Speaking from working in the corporate world: "An once of image is worth a pound of performance". We used to say this when the high priced consultants with their expensive suits came around. I don't agree, but this is bean counter think. How much do you think it costs for special badges? I bet every "special edition" car gets sold, too; although my retailer got stuck with a copy of the 1999(?) SL2 "Homecomming Edition", which I think was WAY overpriced. The white faced guages looked cool, but I am not sure how they would function in real driving situations.

Every carmaker comes out with an SE ("Special Edition") when the sales are slow and the (really, truly) new models are overdue. For example Ford put a spoiler and some badges on their "SE" Taurus, and that was all there was to it. A *recording* of Sizzle without even a picture of Steak!

Real Saturnfans and enthusiasts would trade ALL the special badges Saturn has ever made for another 25 or 30 horsepower.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2000, 08:47 AM   #4
DVader
DVader is on a distinguished road

You have said exactly what a lot of us feel and know. Saturn just doesn't seem able to put two and two together.
They show us performance with the RAD SC2 and the Turbo concept cars and participate in the One Lap of America, but give us lame paint jobs and hokey wheels as a "special" vehicle to purchase. Personally, I am finding it harder and harder to keep up my enthusiasm for Saturn when they continually turn a deaf ear to the performance crowd. Something has to change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DVader's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DVader reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2000, 10:11 AM   #5
LilRedWag
LilRedWag is on a distinguished road

Yah, I was at the dealer for service and there was that 3-door yellow SC2 in the lobby. It had 18 Enkeis on it and Recaro-type front seats, at 22K MSRP. I question the Saturn/dealer warranty liability on installing 18s on a stock suspension. Young ladies (yes, 25ish) were all over this thing. Pictured an un-lowered SC2 with 18s. This thing was so hot someone (young lady) drove it away in the 1-hour I was there. Sorry, the only new technology on this coupe were the wheels and the seats.
Peace.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LilRedWag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LilRedWag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2000, 12:47 PM   #6
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

While I sympathize with those that would like to see real performance enhancements to the SC2, I think we do have to keep in mind the complexities and difficulties that would entail. If I am not mistaken, making such performance changes would involve a whole new set of federal certifications and such.

Now if there could be some guarantee that such enhancements could be worth the effort, then sure, I'd like to see 'em. But are there really that many that would pay the $xxxx for the options to make it profitable? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Again, although I probably wouldn't be in the market for the "hot-rod" drivetrains, I would like to see them, for Saturn to be competitive. On the other hand, I don't think they can afford to do them as a "loss leader".

Just my .02.

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2000, 01:50 PM   #7
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

I suppose it should have been expected, since the eBay auction starts today (6/21) but there was a <b>full page</b> ad in USAToday today featuring the SC2 Special Edition.

At least they are getting some promotional exposure.

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2000, 05:51 PM   #8
SoCal
SoCal is on a distinguished road

I agree. Our dealership has decided to take matters into our own hands. We do our own version of the turbo concept. First we put on different springs, lowering it about 1 and 1/2 inches. Then we put on a free flow exhaust, and modified the intake. We also put a modified fly wheel in, and added 17" performance tire and wheel package.

The car looks incredible. I will take some pictures and post em sometime soon. I havent driven it yet, but since I drive a stock 2000 everyday, I'll be able to judge what if any performance gains there are.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoCal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoCal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2000, 08:16 AM   #9
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

Whoop, what kinda warranty is offered? Am I right to assume that the changes don't affect the Saturn warranty since they're not invasive on the powertrain? How much extra is it?
-Wei

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2000, 08:44 AM   #10
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member
ClapDaddy will become famous soon enough

Wei,

I have had my car modified and it clearly states that the AFTERMARKET parts are not covered by the "Manufacturer's Warranty". I have also been told if the "parts" cause something else to fail that part would also not be covered.

The Retailer could say that they would cover an tiem but IMO if SAturn corp. looked over the repair and determined it was because of a "aftermarket" they would probably kick it back.

Also it would seem if you were traveling and the "aftermarket" item failed, the Retailer working on it would NOT cover the item(s).

Until, Saturn Corp. sanctions a modified place or equipment, then you are probably taking a chance.

Just my opinion.
Al

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ClapDaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ClapDaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread