SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
jocko95
jocko95 is on a distinguished road

Default Rear Hatch Release

Hi
I have a 2004 Vue 4cyl VTI I am finding it a real pain that there is no hatch release or unlock from inside but whenever I drive I hear the lock switch to lock the hatch, would it be hard to put in a switch to make the hatch unlock from inside so I dont have to shut the engine off remove the keys open the hatch and then start again. Any ideas would be appreciated...

Thanks
Craig

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jocko95's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jocko95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #2
rfulcher
rfulcher is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

If your other four doors are unlocked, your rear hatch should be unlocked too. I think you could just leave your VUE running, hit the unlock button when you are getting out of the driver's seat, then open the hatch. I'm assuming you have power locks since you said you hear the hatch lock.

I'm pretty sure this is the way it works in mine.

-- Rob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfulcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfulcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2004, 03:18 PM   #3
silvervoo
silvervoo is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Rob- I think the hatch locks automatically even if you don't have power locks. It's a safety thing; helps to keep it from flying open in an accident.

I remember someone else who did not have power locks having the same complaint last year, unfortunately I don't think they came up with a solution. The lock mechanism is likely triggered by the BCM, so it wouldn't be very easy to rig up your own switch.

●● If it doesn't have a clutch, I'm not interested ●● Vive la bote manuelle ●●

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvervoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvervoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2004, 04:27 PM   #4
jocko95

Hi Again
No I dont have power locks, but this really starting to bug me, I had a 92 acclaim that had at least remote trunk from inside the vehicle...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jocko95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2004, 04:36 PM   #5
guardm
guardm is on a distinguished road

I believe that Saturn stopped putting the key lock mechanism in the Vue after the '02 model year. I just had an '02 in the shop toady and it had a key lock on the hatch. My '03 does not. Maybe you could add the key lock. there was a post about this not too long ago and a couple of Saturn tech chimed in; perhaps a search would answer your question.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guardm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guardm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2004, 11:39 PM   #6
LB_BlueVue
LB_BlueVue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I think what jocko95 is trying to say is that, for those of us without power locks, the rear hatch still auto-locks when we take the car out of park, but that there is no way to unlock it, and therefore open it, without turning off the car, getting out, walking to the back, and unlocking it with the key. Really annoying, and technically illegal, when you are dropping some friends at the airport, and you pull up to the curb, and their luggage is in the back.
The question is if there's anyone in the know who can tell if there's just a relay that needs to be triggered to get it to unlock? Could it be as simple as the manual radiator switch setup described by Wolfman in the How-To's? Since our version only LOCKS the hatch, maybe the BCM isn't even connected to the unlocking solenoid. If it's even there. And wired... Any tech's got access to a wiring diagram?? I'd research it myself, but it's not worth buying the complete service manuals on a car still under warranty.

LB_BlueVue

Silver '05 FWD V6 Automatic
Replaced Blue '03 FWD I4 VTi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LB_BlueVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LB_BlueVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:14 AM   #7
jocko95

Hi
That s exactly what I am trying to say,its driving me nuts..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2004, 05:03 AM   #8
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Wow! What a stupid design. I have power locks and my '03 does have a key hole in the lift handle assembly. If you want to see if you can do it, just pop the cosmetic panel off the liftgate and reverse the wires on the solenoid. Solenoids are electrically reverseable and have the same mechanical strength either way. If reversing the wires does it, then all you have to do is rig a way to reverse polarity for the feed wires. I'm sure you can't do it through the BCM but you may be able to do it through a switch selector (lock and unlock) and a momentary switch and just bypass the BCM output completely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2004, 11:48 AM   #9
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

On the '04 VUE, the hatch only UNLOCKED with all the doors unlocking first. Just unlock the driver-side door won't release the Hatch handle lock.....

Saturn simply treats this Hatch as the 5th door and it makes sense, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2004, 03:48 PM   #10
hammer
hammer is on a distinguished road

I bought a remote trunk lid realease (solenoid and push button switch) from electric life in chicago for 25 usd.Now all I have to do is install it and run the wires and the push button in the glove compartment !!!Will keep you posted, unless of course somebody else already did it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:35 PM   #11
freeheel
freeheel is on a distinguished road

Hammer,
please keep us posted. I would get this installed immediately if it works.

Also, I'm waiting for someone to install remote door locks on a Vue that doesn't have power windows/locks. I know this is a much more complicated modification, but I really want to do this.

I'm just not the most courageous when it comes to moding my Vue. When someone, who knows more, does it, I'll considering following their lead...

Again, keep us posted, Hammer.

-Josh

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to freeheel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help freeheel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:53 PM   #12
guardm

Quote:
Originally posted by freeheel
Hammer,
please keep us posted. I would get this installed immediately if it works.

Also, I'm waiting for someone to install remote door locks on a Vue that doesn't have power windows/locks. I know this is a much more complicated modification, but I really want to do this.

I'm just not the most courageous when it comes to moding my Vue. When someone, who knows more, does it, I'll considering following their lead...

Again, keep us posted, Hammer.

-Josh
Bring it to New Jersey and I'll do it. It is a little more advanced than a novice modder job, but not impossible. Seriously, any GOOD installation shop can do it provided they have alittle knowledge on the product. I have done the door lock mod in many models (not just Saturn). If you get it done, a key less entry controller done at the same time. Many models can be made to flash the parking lights also. Next one I do, I'll try to remember to take pics for a how-to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help guardm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:57 PM   #13
guardm

Quote:
Originally posted by hammer
I bought a remote trunk lid realease (solenoid and push button switch) from electric life in chicago for 25 usd.Now all I have to do is install it and run the wires and the push button in the glove compartment !!!Will keep you posted, unless of course somebody else already did it.
I hope that you can get the solenoid to work in the rear door. there isn't much to mount the part to inside the door. You might be better off using an actuator kit. That heavy solenoid is more for actually popping the door open. there are kits that will cover four doors and you can add a fifth actuator to the rear door.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2004, 07:23 PM   #14
hammer
hammer is on a distinguished road

I did order the universal power door lock kit at the same time as the trunk release kit.I will be installling them during the spring break as 2 separate items.I will be satisfied if the trunk release functions as a push button open mode and a in gear, lock model.The actuators for the door locks(4) from electric life are made in switzerland and are really smooth acting(99usd) wiring included.You will however have to order the power door lock switches from saturn(approx. 11usd ea.)2 required,front doors only(beige or grey colour).I do encourage the do-it-yourselfer in all of these projects .If you have to pay someone to do these projects it is not really worth it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:14 PM   #15
guardm

Quote:
Originally posted by hammer
I did order the universal power door lock kit at the same time as the trunk release kit.I will be installling them during the spring break as 2 separate items.I will be satisfied if the trunk release functions as a push button open mode and a in gear, lock model.The actuators for the door locks(4) from electric life are made in switzerland and are really smooth acting(99usd) wiring included.You will however have to order the power door lock switches from saturn(approx. 11usd ea.)2 required,front doors only(beige or grey colour).I do encourage the do-it-yourselfer in all of these projects .If you have to pay someone to do these projects it is not really worth it.
Will you be posting a how-to on this subject? I'd be interested in seeing the project especially the wiring of OEM switches.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2004, 11:42 PM   #16
burlyvue2
burlyvue2 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Note to potential Vue purchasers:

Get the power locks as it will make your life better! Glad mine has them. The distance from the vehicle to actuate the lock/unlock is about 10-15 feet. If I am directly behind the Vue close to the rear hatch it will not activate. I have to raise my hand over the hatch or move to either side to activate the locks. Saturn replaced the battery in the FOB and it did work better for a couple of days but now still same story, short distance only. I had a viper alarm in another vehicle that I could activate from long way away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burlyvue2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 12:15 AM   #17
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Actually all Saturns are that way.. it has to do with the spaceframe and blocking RF direction. I have found if I am slightly above my VUE I get much more distance. If I am walking down the bike trail behind my apartment to the parking lot where I park, which is about 10 feet above my VUE... I get ~75 to 100 feet of range.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 01:35 AM   #18
freeheel
freeheel is on a distinguished road

Yes, Hammer, please post a how-to with pics (both of process and of items/products used). Then, maybe some of us out here won't be as afraid to do it ourselves.

I'm very interested to hear if the rear hatch lock release works AND if the universal kit works with the Vue locks.

(Question: Are you planning to only set up the front doors with power and leave the rear door manual? or are you planning to rig up the rear doors too? With switches on the doors?)

-Josh

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to freeheel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help freeheel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2004, 02:44 PM   #19
bortojo
bortojo is on a distinguished road

Just a quick non-technical suggestion that may save you all the trouble of a trunk release: Just get your key copied and keep it in that little coin tray near the hood release. You still have to get out and fumble with the key but al least you won't have to turn off and restart the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bortojo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bortojo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2004, 11:13 PM   #20
LB_BlueVue
LB_BlueVue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I know no one, not even most owners, can even find that little cubby, but I don't like the idea of leaving a key in the car. I live in the LA area, and that's just asking for someone to smash a window and take my car. And since I don't have the power door locks, I also don't have the active alarm system.

LB_BlueVue

Silver '05 FWD V6 Automatic
Replaced Blue '03 FWD I4 VTi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LB_BlueVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LB_BlueVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread