SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
Dar
Dar is on a distinguished road

Default Hard Starting Vue

Anybody experiencing intermittent hard starting 04 Vues? No problem cranking over, but it doesn't start until sometimes the second try. I'm thinking it could be an emissions air flow restriction type of issue. Would a K&N filter help improve breathing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
20VUE06
20VUE06 is on a distinguished road

Dar,

I have had an issue similar to yours, I think. Every once in a while, I have had an issue where it does not turn over right away - it just sits there any cranks. I have had to sit there and hold the key for a few seconds to get it to turn over. You know, typically, you turn the key and it only takes a second to hold the key there for it to crank and turn over. Well, it is seldom, but it does happen where it takes a bit longer than normal to turn over. I have also had it where I needed to do it a second time.

I have the K&N and still have an issue.

2004 Vue AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 20VUE06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 20VUE06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2004, 12:29 PM   #3
ghouse78
ghouse78 is on a distinguished road

yup, have only had that happen a couple of times
but it makes you think

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ghouse78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ghouse78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #4
rfulcher
rfulcher is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Question Same here

Ditto here. I have an '04 FWD V6 and it has a tough time probably about every 20th or 25th start or so. Seems to correlate (roughly) with colder weather too, but not necessarily confined to the first start of the day.

I also recently put in a K&N. The engine did this before, and has done it after. So that's not likely a factor.

I think that in my experience if you keep on holding the key in start the engine eventually catches, as opposed to it being necessary to turn the key off and start again. Maybe that suggests that it's not simply a strange phenomenon where maybe the ECU doesn't get the clear signal the first time to start fuel injection.

It'll be interesting to see if this pans out into anything more troubling...

-- Rob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfulcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfulcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2004, 03:56 PM   #5
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

I had it happen once, but it was only for a few seconds.

I let the key sit in the on position about 3 seconds (usually I'll put on my seatbelt at that time) and I think the fuel pump primes at that point (you can hear it running if you listen closely)

Haven't had a problem since I've done that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
Dar

Thanks sspeer. Your fuel pump priming tip seems to help.

See you on the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2004, 08:57 AM   #7
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

The 97 S series had this issue with bad fuel pumps intermittantly losing prime.

Hope they didn't buy more parts from that supplier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2004, 09:26 AM   #8
jeffkics
jeffkics is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

same here and i have a k&n filter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeffkics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeffkics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2004, 09:52 AM   #9
Dar

Hey BobL- Did the issue with the 97 S series fuel pumps require a recall or replacement? Yeah, actually sspeer's priming of the fuel pump signals concerns of some kind of fuel pump issue. Thanks for any input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dar's Reputation
Old 02-17-2004, 09:54 AM   #10
20VUE06
20VUE06 is on a distinguished road

I'll have to try the key in the ON position for a few seconds - thanks.

2004 Vue AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 20VUE06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 20VUE06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:56 PM   #11
KJB
Advanced Member
KJB is on a distinguished road

Hmm I just started a thread about this not realizing you are already talking about it! So... you can count me in as one who is having a problem! I can't get mine to start at all now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KJB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KJB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:59 PM   #12
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

My VW primed when I opened the drivers door..it took me a while to figure out what the noise was..which made me wonder about the VUE. But the VW was cool since it was ready by the time you got the key in the ignition

I'm thinking it's normal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:45 PM   #13
Dar

Visited the dealer today and mentioned my intermittent hard starting Vue. They have experienced this too with some of their demo models. They determined that if you jiggle the wiring harness at the bcm? it starts. Well, I don't quite have a no start issue, just a hard start. They are working with Saturn engineering, trying to correctly identify the problem before replacing anything. Very similar to what KGB acknowledged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dar's Reputation
Old 02-22-2004, 12:20 PM   #14
rfulcher
rfulcher is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default "on" position works

Mini-update:

After having left the ignition in the "on" position for a few seconds (i.e., get in, turn to "on", get seatbelt on, cell phone in charger, etc.), I have had no additional instances of hard starting since this thread first started. It seems that this is a very appropriate fix for the problem.

Only thing to keep in mind is that the weather has been a bit warmer here since.

One wonders whether this pressure leak will end up worsening over time, though...

--Rob
'04 VUE V6 FWD Silver Nickel
Drop-in K&N

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfulcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfulcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2004, 09:17 AM   #15
Dar

Visited dealer yesterday and Saturn engrg may be ruling out the wiring harness. Looks like it may be a fuel pump issue. Mechanic said the fuel pumps may be from the same supplier as the 97 Saturns, which had similar issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dar's Reputation
Old 02-26-2004, 09:58 AM   #16
KJB
Advanced Member
KJB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Dar
Very similar to what KGB acknowledged.
No problems since we got it back from the dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KJB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KJB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread