SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
kevinolean
kevinolean is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 ION3 vs. 2004 VW Jetta

I was in my friends 2004 Jetta today on the highway today. We were doing probably 78 mph and his engine sounded like it was in fourth gear. It was at about 3.8 RPM's but it sounded as if it was still in 4th gear. I looked at it and it was in 5th gear.

I asked him if it sounds loud to him too, and he agreed. He recently traded in his 2000 Jetta which was a top of the line jetta and he misses the speed he had in that. Used to be able to go like 90 without going over 3.5 rpm's it had so much power.

Now I look at my '04 Saturn Ion3 and the fact I am paying $272/month for 60 months and see him paying $320/month on his lease.

I know I got the better car and the better deal!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevinolean's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevinolean reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

Not only that, but your Ion will be in the shop far less than his Jetta

Sounds like he has a 2.0 (2.slow). He went from top of the line (VR6 or 1.8t) to a oil consuming 2.0? He'll be missing that extra 40-50 hp for sure! The Ion is still a quieter highway cruiser than the 2.0..even the 1.8t. I should know, I owned both before my Ion

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

Last edited by golftango; 02-08-2004 at 06:08 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 08:06 PM   #3
Millhouse
Millhouse is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Any VW I have ever had, which has been quite a few, has always had short gearing. I am not sure why that is tho, must be a VW thing. I was always kinda woried that it would effect the longevity of the engine but I the ones I have had had 255k, 209k, and 315ish (that is when the speedo packed it in )
and no motor troubles.
My Saturn SW1, was soooooo tall geared in comparison. Like 2K at 60mph. Strangely tho, it burned oil, blew a head gasket, cracked the cylinder head, and then just before I got rid of the rear main seal blew and then I got that fixed and the oil pump packed it in. All at or before 115K. I figured that sucker would last forever cause it wasn't working too hard.
My new golf is a 2.0 slow and yes it is slow,
( and had lots of Rpms on the highway) but is not much slower that the Ion. (tranny didn't help that car). I drive the golf 100+ kms round trip to work and havn't added a drop of Mobil yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Millhouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Millhouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Well that's cool. How's the Golf GLS compared to the Ion 3, Millhouse?

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 09:00 PM   #5
kevinolean
kevinolean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by golftango
He'll be missing that extra 40-50 hp for sure!
Oh yeah he is, however he is looking on the positive side that he is less likely to get pulled over since he cant be going 100 mph anymore

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevinolean's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevinolean reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 09:04 PM   #6
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Not only that, but your Ion will be in the shop far less than his Jetta

Sounds like he has a 2.0 (2.slow). He went from top of the line (VR6 or 1.8t) to a oil consuming 2.0? He'll be missing that extra 40-50 hp for sure! The Ion is still a quieter highway cruiser than the 2.0..even the 1.8t. I should know, I owned both before my Ion
Not all 2.0s burn oil, Golf. I know of 3 or 4 new generation 2.0s here at school that don't use a drop.
Part of the reason the Jetta/Golf/Beetle are geared that way is for highway speed acceleration. It is in its powerband right around there and a mash of the throttle will make it squirt right off.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 10:15 PM   #7
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

My friend has a 2000 Jetta GL 2.0. That thing's engine is LOUD just traveling down the road doing 35! It's an auto too. Nice interior though

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 10:30 PM   #8
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisION
My friend has a 2000 Jetta GL 2.0. That thing's engine is LOUD just traveling down the road doing 35! It's an auto too. Nice interior though
How can you say that? They are no louder than an ION or an S series.
~D.J.~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 11:01 PM   #9
golftango

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioVueBoy
Not all 2.0s burn oil, Golf. I know of 3 or 4 new generation 2.0s here at school that don't use a drop.
Part of the reason the Jetta/Golf/Beetle are geared that way is for highway speed acceleration. It is in its powerband right around there and a mash of the throttle will make it squirt right off.
~D.J.~
Didn't say they all did, but that is one of the known 2.0 issues. Bulletproof, but thirsty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 11:09 PM   #10
golftango

Quote:
Originally posted by Millhouse
[B]Any VW I have ever had, which has been quite a few, has always had short gearing.
Most foreign cars are. Any Toyota, Nissan Honda or Subaru I've owned or driven has reved high, but ultimately last forever. My 3 speed auto Corolla was mind numbing on the highway

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2004, 11:28 PM   #11
PAGuy77
PAGuy77 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Most foreign cars are. Any Toyota, Nissan Honda or Subaru I've owned or driven has reved high, but ultimately last forever. My 3 speed auto Corolla was mind numbing on the highway
My roomates Nissan 200SX was that way. It was a five speed at at 70, it was a little over 3k rpms. It would have lasted him forever if it didn't get totaled almost 2 years ago. He had 140k. The only major problem that I knew of was having the ECM replaced, which cost him $500 and change.

I must say though, Saturns are great highway cars. My SL1 was great, and the Ion is even better....70mph and 2.5K on the tach.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PAGuy77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PAGuy77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2004, 01:25 AM   #12
robh456
robh456 is on a distinguished road

The VTi-equipped Ions run even lower on the highway - under 2000 rpm at 110 km/h (about 70 mph)..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robh456's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robh456 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2004, 02:38 AM   #13
IONicSaturn
Advanced Member
IONicSaturn is on a distinguished road

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by PAGuy77
I must say though, Saturns are great highway cars. My SL1 was great, and the Ion is even better....70mph and 2.5K on the tach.
I've never driven a VW, so I can't chime in on that (I don't think I'd ever buy one though, I love how the Jetta and Passat look, but from what I've read, they seem very risky, and in my opinion, are a bit overpriced for what they are). However, I will agree with PAGuy in saying that Saturns certainly are great highway cars. I love driving my car on the highway; my tach runs a little above 2500RPMs at 70mph, the car is quiet unless I slam the gas pedal, and the handling is very smooth and predictable. Speaking of Japanese cars though, my aunt's '02 Galant revs pretty high on the highway, I'd much rather drive that car on the street than the highway. My best friend's Altima, OTOH, like my SL1 revs very low on the highway as well, IIRC, 2KRPMs at 65mph.

Mike

2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
2005 Saturn L300
1999 Dodge Durango SLT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IONicSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IONicSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:41 AM   #14
lewis2
lewis2 is on a distinguished road

The biggest difference is the quality of dealer service you get when the inevitable problems in any car surface. VW dealers are notoriously bad- everything wrong with their wonderful German engineered cars must be the owners fault. Saturn dealers (with a few exceptions) are still the most pro owner of all the makes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lewis2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lewis2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:59 AM   #15
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally posted by Millhouse
Any VW I have ever had, which has been quite a few, has always had short gearing. I am not sure why that is tho, must be a VW thing. I was always kinda woried that it would effect the longevity of the engine but I the ones I have had had 255k, 209k, and 315ish (that is when the speedo packed it in )
and no motor troubles.
I had previously owned an 86 Jetta & will disagree with you on that. The 5-speed with the 1.8L gas engine was geared very tall.
At 70 mph, I would be turning only around 2800. I found this tall gearing gave it great highway mileage (37-40 mpg) It was a great car that gave me over 225k of use before burning up the original clutch.
My L200 on the other hand is geared short. I can turn 3100 rpm @ 70 mph.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2004, 01:15 PM   #16
Millhouse
Millhouse is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by UNKLE BIK
I had previously owned an 86 Jetta & will disagree with you on that. The 5-speed with the 1.8L gas engine was geared very tall.
At 70 mph, I would be turning only around 2800. I found this tall gearing gave it great highway mileage (37-40 mpg) It was a great car that gave me over 225k of use before burning up the original clutch.
My L200 on the other hand is geared short. I can turn 3100 rpm @ 70 mph.
i have been in an 88 jetta and it was like that too. It was like 2500 @ 60. That was a friends car and I had an '89 it was geared short. It wan't a GLI or anything either. I HAD a '92 GLi and that had the "close ratio" gearbox and that was definitly geared short, but on the otherhad it was a rocket on the highway, no need to drop a gear, just hit the gas and away you go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Millhouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Millhouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2004, 05:02 PM   #17
SilverNickelQC
Advanced Member
SilverNickelQC is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioVueBoy
How can you say that? They are no louder than an ION or an S series.
~D.J.~

How can you say this, i can easily do 80 and don't even hit 3k rpm. At about 4 grand i am easily doing 100.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverNickelQC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverNickelQC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2004, 07:40 PM   #18
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverNickelQC
How can you say this, i can easily do 80 and don't even hit 3k rpm. At about 4 grand i am easily doing 100.
Its designed that way. Its not a design fault... look at the horsepower and torque curves of that engine. What about my VUE that turns 3,175 RPM at 71 MPH?
~D.J.~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2004, 02:57 AM   #19
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Coming from a family that's now had 3 VW Jetta Diesels{1991 GL Wolfsburg, 1996 GL, 2002 GL TDI(Current)} and 3 Saturns{2001 SL, 2002 SC1(Current), 2003 ION2(Current)} The noise level on the Saturn S's were about the same as the older VW's. The ION & 2002 TDI are about the same. The 1996 & 2002 never had a problem leaving the S's in the dust. The ION keeps pace with that little 90hp 1.9L even in the hills, but is quicker off the line. And for the record my SL was in the shop more than either VW. If you do feel the urge to buy a Jetta avoid the gas models at all costs, they're buzzy{prefer being above 3000RPM always}, hard on fuel, must burn super, and notoriously unreliable. VW really shines when it comes diesel, tough{typically 500,000 - 700,000kms before a rebuild is required}, fuel efficient{55-70 Imp.MPG}, extremely reliable, & have enough torque to walk away from any V-6 on a hill.

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2004, 09:09 AM   #20
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by Maritime Storm
must burn super
The 2.0 runs on 87 octane.
~D.J.~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread